• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    My recommendation is to shoot IPSC, it is funner.

However for IDPA you can shoot a number of guns depending on the division you want to shoot. Just has to be something you can conceal, at least under a vest or something. An H&K P2000 in 9mm is a good gun, or a Smith & Wesson M&P 9MM.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Who competes in IDPA? What pistol do you use? And why?

Glock 17 / 19 / 34 - SSP
    Glock 34 - ESP
    STI Trojan - CDP

I can configure my G34 into an SSP legal or ESP legal gun depending on where I want to shoot that day. The 19 is my carry gun and has a few mods, the 17 is stock. All of them are great IDPA guns, shoot 9mm, and run like a champ.

The STI Trojan I haven't had a chance to shoot in IDPA yet, but it'll be my CDP gun once I get my rig sorted out.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Glock 17 or 34
    smith and wesson mp 9 or 9 pro for stock service pistol

xd9 or 9 tac but that will put you in the enhanced service pistol class.

Out of all of those the I see the mp pro and g17 and 34 the most. I shoot a 17 and sprinfield operator.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    M&P 9 Pro for SSP
    STI Spartan 9mm and XDm for ESP
    STI Spartan .45 and M&P .45 for CDP

Definitely like the 1911 guns best. I agree with gladi8r; shot TX State IDPA yesterday and saw a lot of 34's and M&P's running in SSP. There were a bunch shooting the new XDm 9mm 5.25 in ESP and tons of 1911's in CDP. Lots of options these days; it's not all Glocks.

propellerhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shoot an XDm-9. It just feels better and the controls are easy to manipulate. I went a few months shooting my Glock but went back to the XDm. The slide release on the Glock is too far forward for me. I have to twist the pistol in my hand to reach it. with the XDm, I don't have to shift my grip and regrip. I also like the 4.5" barrel length. It's a good balance for a 9mm.

Good info right there!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    -Glock 17

Eventually I want to run a simple 1911 and do CDP class as well. Right now I've just been doing SSP.

Things I've noted, for me at least:

-Sweatguards absolutely suck!: Impedes the drawstroke, primary thumb bumps into sweatguard and leads to poor initial grip in holster
    -Stock Glock mag releases suck!: Stock is too short. The Vickers was still too short for me. I have a factory extended, shortened a bit and radiused. Works ok, but I may have shortened it a little too much
    -3 o'clock straight drop is king!: This 4 or 5 o'clock canted holster carry crap just plain sucks. Tried different setups. Now IWB, 3 o'clock straight drop. Draw is consistent and fast. AIWB would be faster but is not allowed in IDPA and wouldn't work for my body type anyways.
    -Learn to SLOW down!: Master class shooters don't necessarily run balls to the wall all the time. They simply go as fast as the targets allow. There are certain times where you have to slow down a bit, whether it be your speed of fire or whatever. Go as fast as you can to still make the shots count. Fast misses are a no go

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    Glock 34 here for SSP... got bumped to EX at the TX State match this past weekend.

13lb ISMI recoil spring on stock rod
    Wolff RP striker spring
    Jager steel striker
    Tru-Grip tape
    Dawson FO front sight
    Sevigny Competition plain rear sight
    Comp-Tac paddle holster & mag pouch

I shoot the same gun for USPSA Production, but wear a Comp-Tac belt holster on a Double Alpha belt with CR Speed mag pouches.

You should shoot whatever you are most comfortable shooting.

-Randy

NickXD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Humble/Atascocita
    What about subcompacts?!? being that is going to be my carry gun, why not practice defensive (react/draw/look/shoot) shooting that IDPA is known for using it. Obviously, the longer the barrel, the greater the accuracy, but has anyone or does anyone use sub-comps for IDPA?

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Hardly ever more than 20 yds but lots of guys run Glock and XD subcompacts that they carry. 15 yds and in there's no problem. Even at 20 yds you just take a little longer for a good sight picture. Those guns are surprisingly accurate.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom