• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I have used a S&W M&P .380 Shield EZ to train a few women. All have liked it after shooting and getting familiar with how it handles. It is lightweight and recoil is not bad. It is easy to rack and has a grip safety that helps eliminate limp wrist because you have to grip firmly to shoot. The 8 round magazine is easy to load too.
    Like some have already advised, go to a range and let her get the feel of several then rent one or more to try out.
    ditto - my teenage granddaughter really likes this gun.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    This question comes up far too often by well-meaning boyfriends and husbands.

Rule #1: Let her shoot and decide which handgun she wants to carry and shoot. Always go to a range that has several or with several you have borrowed or own.

Period.

That is all.

Otherwise, there have been many good suggestions of what to try. The only one I am familiar with is the Sig .380 single action.

My buddy and his wife carried S&W Airweight snubbies in .38spec, but I never shot one. With low power wadcutters maybe not too bad?

Lastly, IMO even a .22 is better that relying on a mean stare.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    If the range rentals include a P365-380, I'd highly recommend trying it out. The one condition I'll add is that I would prefer the longer 12-round grip instead of the 10-round grip, but the recoil feels like half compared to 9mm.

I like to start new shooters on an increasing scale of recoil as they get comfortable shooting. They usually can find their preference while also experiencing the trade-off between concealability and shootability.

.22LR -> .380ACP -> full-size 9mm -> compact 9mm -> sub-compact 9mm -> noisy cricket

Attachments

• P365-380.jpeg
      P365-380.jpeg
      99.8 KB · Views: 30

10-96inTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    I have used a S&W M&P .380 Shield EZ to train a few women. All have liked it after shooting and getting familiar with how it handles. It is lightweight and recoil is not bad. It is easy to rack and has a grip safety that helps eliminate limp wrist because you have to grip firmly to shoot. The 8 round magazine is easy to load too.
    Like some have already advised, go to a range and let her get the feel of several then rent one or more to try out.
    I agree with the above statements.. I have recommended and encouraged several women to try the EZ 380. So far anyone that did has really like the pistol.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Other than the .380 - I dont know anything about all the others mentioned already - but I've stayed with revolvers because of lack of grip to rack the slide..even the EZs. That all changed a few weeks ago - when I found the SW Equalizer, 9mm. Bought it, love it, shoot it all the time. :)

My only suggestion is to take her to a quiet place, pawn shop maybe, where there's a good selection for her to hold, handle - and see if something feels right in her hands. When one does, enjoying shooting it comes quickly.

Good luck!
    Great advice from one who knows.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Maybe a S&W EZ if you want an Auto. An Airweight .38 is a nice revolver but my wife didn't like the recoil even with light wadcutter ammo. She might even like the 9mm EZ, it isn't too bad on recoil even tho it's small. The 380 EZ ought to be ok for anybody. For me, the 9mm EZ is more pleasant to shoot than the G19.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom