• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skeezix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    Houston
    Looking for recommendations on what a good carry piece for a wife would be. She shut and lined a Taurus m85 lightweight.38

She is open to an automatic, but wants something reliable and light.

S&W used to make / may still make an M&P 360 which is a good alternative to the Taurus M85.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated
    DK Firearms

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    If you just want to buy one, take her to the local gun shop / range that has a decent selection of rentals. Let her try it, or all of them first. Let her choose what feels the best to her.

If you have the funds, and can pull it off, buy her what you want. When she says she does not care to shoot it, you have another gun. Then buy her another. This will augment your collection and as long as you don't cop to it, it will work for years.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I have a few female friends that love the kimber micro 380 and 9mm for light carry. My GF likes heavier metal handguns because she shoots them better. She carries my CZ PCR.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    There's been a few threads like this before. The best advice is let her shoot various options and see what works best for her. "Small and light" often translates to "kicks like a mule" and if she's not going to want to shoot it enough to be proficient, then it's of no use to her.

My typical pocket carry is about as small and light as they come in 9mm...it's a KelTec PF9, and shooting it is like catching a fastball without a glove because there's just no mass there to absorb recoil. I'm willing to put up with it, but not everyone can stand a lightweight firearm chambered in a good self defense caliber.

Skeezix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    Houston
    If you just want to buy one, take her to the local gun shop / range that has a decent selection of rentals. Let her try it, or all of them first. Let her choose what feels the best to her.

If you have the funds, and can pull it off, buy her what you want. When she says she does not care to shoot it, you have another gun. Then buy her another. This will augment your collection and as long as you don't cop to it, it will work for years.
    …sage advice! LOL

Rob945

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    North Texas
    The S&W Shield is small, lightweight and easy to carry. The 9mm is reasonably soft shooting and 9mm is the most common handgun ammo today. The Shield Plus only very slightly increases the grip but adds capacity. If you want to take a chance on a newer caliber, the Shield Plus is also available in 30 Super Carry, which could be described as a powerful .32. If you're interested in that, I would advise Googling and reading up on it. It has pluses and minuses. Personally, I like it but I'm also one of the guys who generally carried .40 SW instead of 9mm, so definitely don't take my word for it. Regardless of the caliber, I think the Shield is worth considering. As was said before this, trying several at the range is a great idea.

Edit: The Kahr PM40 is also a great small semiauto, so I assume the PM9 is equally good.

Another thought: A Ruger LCR is a great little revolver. While reloads are a bit more work than changing a magazine in a semiauto, a revolver can more easily be used from within a pocket or a purse, if needed.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    There's been a few threads like this before. The best advice is let her shoot various options and see what works best for her. "Small and light" often translates to "kicks like a mule" and if she's not going to want to shoot it enough to be proficient, then it's of no use to her.

My typical pocket carry is about as small and light as they come in 9mm...it's a KelTec PF9, and shooting it is like catching a fastball without a glove because there's just no mass there to absorb recoil. I'm willing to put up with it, but not everyone can stand a lightweight firearm chambered in a good self defense caliber.
    ^^^^^^^^ THIS.
    For the umpteenth time.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I have used a S&W M&P .380 Shield EZ to train a few women. All have liked it after shooting and getting familiar with how it handles. It is lightweight and recoil is not bad. It is easy to rack and has a grip safety that helps eliminate limp wrist because you have to grip firmly to shoot. The 8 round magazine is easy to load too.
    Like some have already advised, go to a range and let her get the feel of several then rent one or more to try out.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    My wife took her basic handgun course and instructor began her with a Glock 44 , 22 caliber as an introduction. She did very well with it. When he tried to get her to fire my S&W 9mm, that experiment lasted about 3 rounds, she hated the recoil difference. Sure, a .22 isn't as powerful as a 9mm but what good is a 9mm to someone who doesn't like it. A bad guy doesn't want to be hit by a .22 in the hands of a woman or anyone willing to use it in self defense. Get to a good range and let her try several handguns to rent, you pony up the $$ and butt out, let her instructor help her. Women have a natural instinct to not trust her husband or boyfriend. She will tell you what she likes...

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    A small step up from 22 LR:

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I tell ya - try that Sig P938. Pocket gun with very manageable recoil.
    and if you want slightly less recoil, and slightly easier to work the slide, go for the P238 in .380..... that was the one my wife chose, over probably 8 or 10 she tried at a gun show. She has trouble racking slides, and the P238 made her eyes light up....
    I edc the P938... but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to carry the P238...

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Other than the .380 - I dont know anything about all the others mentioned already - but I've stayed with revolvers because of lack of grip to rack the slide..even the EZs. That all changed a few weeks ago - when I found the SW Equalizer, 9mm. Bought it, love it, shoot it all the time. :)

My only suggestion is to take her to a quiet place, pawn shop maybe, where there's a good selection for her to hold, handle - and see if something feels right in her hands. When one does, enjoying shooting it comes quickly.

Good luck!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom