• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    I hope you’re joking…$1,500 for a new gun owner is a little steep.
    Military Camp

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX

Night sights and supressor ready. I have this exact model and it's a laser canon. I scored a perfect on my ltc with it and it embarrass the 7yd shooters when you ring steel on an entire mag from the loading tables 30yds back. Can't go wrong other than weight.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I always start new shooters with .22lr, and move up, but for HD/SD... I'd say...
    A USED 5" or less, 6, or 7-shot...
    Ruger GP-100, and start them with .38 spl.

Later move up to Armscore .357 Mag, or something in the LIGHT .357 Magnum,
    then PMC Bronze Full-housers when they are ready...

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    You’re friend needs to go to a range that rents pistols in various calibers that meets their criteria and shoot them. When they find one they like, then they buy it.
    Listen to the ones that suggested this. It's good advice.
    Your friend needs to get a handgun in a model and caliber that THEY shoot well and will satisfy their needs and is reliable.
    What any of us think is perfect is irrelevant.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hmmm?

I'm with the .22 guys...

The very best way to become PROFICIENT with a handgun.......

Buy the best 22 that he can afford...

Then several cases of ammo...

For the "newb" ...... I like to see a good revolver....(can empty it without racking the slide...as previously mentioned the DA pull is enough to avert a NEGLIGENT discharge....)

In addition, the DA revolver lends itself to a good "dryfire practice" regimen (15 min/day) Really builds the skill sets..

Also a revolver can be loaded with an empty charge hole...aka FLINCH ROUND! Very beneficial!!

A 4" 38/357 is a good way to go...

A snub is very difficult for a "newb" to actually "hit" with....takes some GOOD practice...

Look at some training vids, Brian Enos, Clint Smith........etc....

Master the four fundamentals

STANCE!

GRIP!

FOCUS!

PACE!

Later, Mark

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Best thing for him is a class with an instructor. A decent instructor/school will usually have rentals + gear so he doesn't have to worry about that. If he's around the DFW area, there seems to be a ton of instructors up that way. If you need help finding one, just let me know and I'm happy to help.

A new shooter isn't going to know what they like and won't have realistic expectations on what they need. Generally, he needs a pistol with defensive ammo, a quality holster that protects the trigger guard fully, and the ability to draw and re-holster safely.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Skip 1911's or revolvers. Good revolvers require getting lucky on the secondary market, 1911's require substantial investment to ensure getting a good one

Any fullsize or compact 9mm will serve you well

Your best bet, get a glock G17, G19, G45 or G19X gen 5, seek out training. Glocks are far from perfect, but they are reliable, decently accurate, and hold value.

Once you know what YOU want in a gun, either stick with the Glock, or sell it to fund something else.

DA/SA, striker, DAO, SAO, it wont matter at all if you don't practice.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The following is my opinion after having instructed several hundred students, worked a range, and having sold several thousand firearms to people when working the retail side. I'd recommend new shooters looking for a defensive/carry gun stick to what I consider to be first tier pistol manufacturers:

Beretta, CZ, FN, Glock, H&K, S&W, SIG, Walther

The reason being, those manufacturers maintain a high standard of durability, reliability, parts quality, finishes, etc. All factors you do not want to screw around with on a defensive gun. I would stick to current or recent production in the past couple decades ideally. Main point being, what I'm saying about pistols in this tier does not necessarily apply to surplus offerings from the same manufacturer say 60 years ago.

Within that list, there are also inexpensive bargains to be had, such as the Beretta APX which can be found used for around $300. Other worthwhile characteristics of pistols in this tier:

Finish
    Most slides should have a nitride, DLC, or similar corrosion-resistant metal treatment or finish. Many will be nitrided with a durable coating on top of that. Phosphate is okay, but will take a little more maintenance. In 2021, bluing is unacceptable on a pistol of this tier, especially for a carry gun.

Magazines
    Magazines that are robust and reliable. Mags are the lifeblood of a semi auto.

Component Durability
    Components that are durable enough to last tens of thousands of rounds (e.g. For most, this means a lifetime. Buy once cry once and all that.). Most if not all of the manufacturers on the list above have had models that have been factory and independently tested to tens of thousands of rounds. They are a known quantity.

Holsters
    Wide availability of quality holster options. This means either full kydex or full leather. No hybrids due to their interference with drawstroke and less reliable protection of the trigger guard. The gun shouldn't be such an oddball that you have to struggle to find a quality holster and end up compromising with a trash option that may pose safety or performance risks.

Ammo
    As far as caliber, I'd recommend beginners stick to 9mm to keep things simple. In terms of defensive ammo, it should be a quality hollowpoint or some form of expanding ammo from reputable manufacturers like:
    • Federal HST (not Hydrashok)
    • Speer Gold Dot
    • Winchester SXT or Ranger-T
    • Barnes VOR-TX
    • Hornady Critical Duty
    • Remington Golden Saber

Stuff I Excluded
    I intentionally did not include 1911 manufacturers (ignoring SIG's offering) on the list. Honestly, I consider that platform to be for experienced users. The level of maintenance and skill needed to run a 1911, while achieving a good degree of measurable performance, is working hard vs. smart for a beginner. Don't get me wrong, I love a good 1911.

I did not mention revolvers. They generally have terrible ergonomics, atrocious sights, slower to reload... Not great for a beginner in my opinion. If a revolver is just what it has to be for a given person, whether due to stubbornness or whatever, the Ruger LCR is a good compromise. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about experienced shooters. Plenty of experienced people still carry revolvers.

At the end of the day, having any gun and the will to use it is more important than anything. That said, the levels of safety, performance standards, durability, and reliability are higher than they've ever been before.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Best thing for him is a class with an instructor. A decent instructor/school will usually have rentals + gear so he doesn't have to worry about that. If he's around the DFW area, there seems to be a ton of instructors up that way. If you need help finding one, just let me know and I'm happy to help.

A new shooter isn't going to know what they like and won't have realistic expectations on what they need. Generally, he needs a pistol with defensive ammo, a quality holster that protects the trigger guard fully, and the ability to draw and re-holster safely.
    A class teaching fundamentals should be the first step along with renting several calibers and models.

long_tall_texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    DFW
    Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm Compact.
    I agree, but I'm a little biased. I carry that myself...

In all honesty, I'd recommend trying as many different handguns from friends at the range or rentals at range. Figure out what you they like and what they don't. Surprising how quickly you can hone in on likes and dislikes from a relatively small sample size.

Lazyfaire

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    New Braunfels
    Without knowing just who will be carrying/firing a weapon it is impossible to recommend a specific pistol to someone. What works for one person will not necessarily work for another. They would need to handle multiple brands and types of pistols. They would need to go to a range and then rent and fire some of the pistols. Multiple times. A woman first time shooter should not buy a 45 cal for a first gun. A 22 or a 380 may not be enough (my 2c) for defense.
    I never tell someone what they SHOULD buy. They can shoot mine and try out various choices. Again, just my 2c.

Top Bottom