• ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I'll be in the market for a 5 x 8 utility trailer soon. I'll be using it for light duty work like hauling lawn mowers, firewood, etc.
    I've looked at the ones at Tractor Supply, Lowe's, Home Depot.
    They seemed pretty cheesy.
    Any recommendations?

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    Those 3 are crap, as well as Northern tool. Mine are Big Tex and Top Hat. There are lots of good builders in your area. I would start with dropping by Texas Trailer Supply. Good place to see what you can get in your weight class and price range.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    if all you are doing is that stuff cheesy will work fine. Grab the one from harbor freight when on sale sub 500 bucks.

if you want it stronger after you bolt it together throw some welds on it.

or if you have to have a purdy solid over built tank grab one off facebook marketplace for 1/3 the cost of a new one.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I have a cheap ass carry on 5x8 with ramp from Lowes. It hauls a 4 wheeler around just fine, but I wouldn't recommend it for heavy use. I replaced the tires with better ones pretty quick. Big Tex and Top Hat and Texas Bragg trailers are much better built with 3,500 pound axels. The carry ons, and other cheaper ones have 2,000 pound axels.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    You're going to sell bodies?

Sorry, it's Texasgordos fault.
    Just need a for sale sign
    1721920911207.png

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I have a cheap ass carry on 5x8 with ramp from Lowes. It hauls a 4 wheeler around just fine, but I wouldn't recommend it for heavy use. I replaced the tires with better ones pretty quick.
    I bought the Lowes trailer also but I floored it with treated lumber before the expanded metal floor had a chance to stretch and become deformed. It is actually pretty solid for hauling things like ATV's with the wood flooring.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I bought the Lowes trailer also but I floored it with treated lumber before the expanded metal floor had a chance to stretch and become deformed. It is actually pretty solid for hauling things like ATV's with the wood flooring.
    I've been thinking about doing just that. The expanded metal flooring is just tacked on. I went around the whole thing and welded it all around. It's still warping where the tires
    from my 4 wheeler sits though.

The one thing I like about it is, it is super light. I can easily move it around with one hand to hook it up and put it back in it's storage spot.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Don't buy from Tractor Supply, Lowe's, or Home Depot. But from an actual trailer dealer. I got a Top Hat trailer (much better quality) for hundreds less buying from a couple of rednecks running a small trailer dealership by the highway. Think mine is 6x10 and it has the gate/loading ramp on the back.
    When did you get it? I've been looking for a better trailer, but have yet to see a used one (that isn't whooped) for much less than a new one. Even on marketplace and CL people are asking ridiculous prices for used shit. No titles for most of them either. This is a mostly a post covid thing though. Precovid things were reasonable. Mostly. My carry on was on sale for $399. Same trailer today is $999 when it's on sale.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    When did you get it? I've been looking for a better trailer, but have yet to see a used one (that isn't whooped) for much less than a new one. Even on marketplace and CL people are asking ridiculous prices for used shit. No titles for most of them either. This is a mostly a post covid thing though. Precovid things were reasonable. Mostly. My carry on was on sale for $399. Same trailer today is $999 when it's on sale.
    Got my Top Hat at a little red neck place on 67 outside of Mount Pleasant, Got the Big Tex from a little tractor dealer on 380 by Farmersville, got the Texas Pride from the shop in Madisonville. I paid less than the clowns on FB and Craigs List were asking for ratted out shit. Paid under retail on all, just takes time and patience

Top Bottom