• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Starting a thread about the moment you realized your youth is behind you. Could be an injury or just the reality that you no longer have anything in common with the younger generations etc...

I'll go first. This past Thanksgiving day weekend I went out to the family property with a friend to do some hunting. 700 acres is a lot of ground to cover so we took out the four wheelers. After a day of not seeing anything (yes we are impatient) we decided to go hit some trails. We rode for about an hour exploring new trails and finding several areas hogs get into the property. On the way back to the house I decided I was going to rip a couple of doughnuts in the middle of a rocky road. My mistake. I threw the 4 wheeler side ways and was mid way through a nice doughnut when it caught up on something and highsided me right off and down a rocky slope.

In my younger years I learned pretty well how to bail and fall from dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. This time I was a little slow on my reaction and didn't clear the four wheeler enough. It rolled over me as I went tumbling. I am lucky that I wasn't seriously injured and I popped up immediately with adrenaline to get the four wheeler back on its tires. I was a little sore, but brushed it off. Got towed back to the house and we had some drinks. The next morning though when I woke up to go out hunting I realized I was pretty banged up. My entire right side from shoulder to ribs was bruised up. I didn't break anything luckily and decided to rest up the rest of the weekend. It's been a few days now and I know that I'm okay, but still sore. Not like the days of my youth were I would be right back on the 4 wheeler and shredding again. I've come to the realization that I'm no longer in my 20's and it kind of sucks.

Anyone else have a direct moment of reality that you aren't young anymore?
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

OldGnome

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2021
    RIVERVIEW, FL
    @TreyG-20 - I'm glad you're OK.

For me, it was the first time I realized I was planning not only my rise from the floor but how to get down there to pick something up. That first time was a while ago and I was reminded last night after dinner when I dropped my napkin after I stood up to take my dishes to the sink. I had an actual plan in my head for picking it up and then standing. I kinda hoped the dog would get it before I could. No such luck.

Daley_G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Cypress
    For me it started when I admitted to myself that I needed glasses. After that it was the time I noticed that rolling over in bed sounds like a ratchet wrench. I also find myself putting more thought into bending over to pick something up, or worse yet, having to look under the car or something. Thankfully everything else works the way it's supposed to!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Every time I look in the mirror!

The first realization came after I turned 40. I procrastinated for about a year that my eyesight was getting worse. My first pair of readers was like, WOW! They were only 1.25x at that time. Of course, since then I have had to get higher powered readers.

I was also a very fast healer when I was younger, not so much today. Aches and pains are now routine.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    When I started waking up at 5 am on weekends to drink coffee and watch the news. Also always try to do any shopping as early as possible to avoid crowds.
    Best time to hit HEB is around 7am. Sleeping in for me on the weekends is about 6am. I'm up at 4:30 during the week. I use to be a get up and just go kind of guy. Now I enjoy my mornings reading and drinking coffee and long porcelain throne time before heading out.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Fifty was a milestone for me, not because I felt old, but because it was half a century...; in fact, I was still thinking I was young at 50! By 55, my delusion was fading and I was becoming aware that I really hadn't been young since well before 50...

At 66, with knees that aren't mine, thinning and graying hair, and the beginnings of sagging skin, I'm certain I am old! Mom and Dad both made it to 94, but frankly, I can't imagine and don't even hope for that.

Top Bottom