• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I certainly enjoyed my time with RC planes and cars.
    Tower Hobbies was THE place to order on-line and in Dallas, Bobbye Hall's on Bryan street was mecca.

I learned on a Kaos trike with an OS Max 49 and Futaba radio.
    Busted a lot of props trying to land ... never did get it smooth.

towa2052_550.jpg

I have on-board 8mm film of crashing the thing into a tree.
    The motor running the film camera interfered with the reciever reception ... boom!

Egrits and hawks were a lot of fun to mess with ... buzzing cattle was fun, too.

Remind me to tell the story about a Sweet 16, 1 gallon gas can. electric service wires and how I almost went to the pokey for filing a false police report.

Quit flying because our "airport" was gobbled up by the local school district.
    Capitol Armory ad

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Tower Hobbies was THE place to order on-line and in Dallas, Bobbye Hall's on Bryan street was mecca.

towa2052_550.jpg

The motor running the film camera interfered with the reciever reception ... boom!

Egrits and hawks were a lot of fun to mess with ... buzzing cattle was fun, too.

Remind me to tell the story about a Sweet 16, 1 gallon gas can. electric service wires and how I almost went to the pokey for filing a false police report.

isis much

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Useful acronyms

RTF- Ready to fly. Everything you need will be in the box

BNF- Bind and Fly. Everything will be in the box except a transmitter

PNP- Plug and Play. Everything will be in the box except a transmitter, battery, and charger

ARF- Almost Ready to Fly. The plane body will be assembled, but you may need servos, motor, receiver, batteries, etc.

First plane should probably be a RTF with SAFE.

The Flight Test youtube channel has some good introductory vids.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

towa2052_550.jpg

I've had a little fun messing with the horses, usually end up in a tree though. Hope to get out and chase some buzzards one of these days.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood

towa2052_550.jpg

I built the 40 sized Great Planes version. I only did loops and rolls with it. Never got into the pattern stuff. But I enjoy the building as much as the flying.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I built the 40 sized Great Planes version. I only did loops and rolls with it. Never got into the pattern stuff. But I enjoy the building as much as the flying.

And mine was yet a different clone of GP kaos.
    Symetrical wing made it a bit more challenging to fly, landed a lot hotter than my experience allowed and more attention to the build to get CG correct. But, it handled great and flew well.
    A 49 was a bit much, but as a novice pilot, many times I needed more than OSM manufactured. LOL

I never could take off or land a tail dragger, though ... well without the use of superglue post flight.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I built a Falcon 56 back in about 1974, I think it was. Took me weeks to finish. Bought a used radio and servos from a hobby shop on South Congress. I didn't have anyone to teach me how to fly it. Maiden flight was a disaster. Totally destroyed. Built a Ranger 42 a few years later. Bought an ARF too. Ran Black Widow .049 engines on both of those. Had some help learning to fly them, but alas, never could get the hang of it.

Pretty much gave up on the hobby. Now, they have the electrics which are pretty amazing.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Useful acronyms

RTF- Ready to fly. Everything you need will be in the box

BNF- Bind and Fly. Everything will be in the box except a transmitter

PNP- Plug and Play. Everything will be in the box except a transmitter, battery, and charger

ARF- Almost Ready to Fly. The plane body will be assembled, but you may need servos, motor, receiver, batteries, etc.
    Good thread. Can you edit the first post to include the acronyms?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If some others have information or notice I got something wrong, feel free to jump in.

Most of what I'm posting are things I learned to get through the first steps of deciding what to buy and learning the basics of flying.

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    Dang, just as I start getting deep into shooters, you guys up and rekindle the RC bug. I only got so many $$$ to go play with!!

Been out of the hobby for 20-odd (yes, very odd) years, but still have several planes hanging from the rafters in the garage. I imagine the radio batteries are a mess. May need whole new radio, even if the "good" one is gold-stickered. Just battery tech has improved over the old NiCads! Wonder if the glue joints will still hold after 20 years...?

About to move to the Granbury area, and hear there is a flying club Brazos Buzzards there. So once into the house, and got the shop set up, I imagine I'll get the Great Planes Ultra Sport fired up. Sweet flyer, if my skills haven't all rusted out! Don't still have a trainer, so maybe one of those would be some well-spent $$ to restart the hobby. Anyone know about the Brazos Buzzards??

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Hey, look me up when you get settled.
    I live south of town off of 144.

Buzzards used to have a field close to Acton.
    Not sure if its still there, available or moved, though.

Edit:

Curiosity killed the cat ...

http://brazosbuzzards.org/index.html

The new field is a couple miles from my place.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If I can figure out a way to record and fly at the same time I will try to get a video. The wind should do a good job of showing how the safe system works.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think I found a way to record my flights, although I probably look pretty goofy with my hat on backwards and an IPhone clipped to the adjusting strap.

Top Bottom