TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    1560384422768-jpg.jpg

A little R&R after work on Surfside.
    This glider crashed a few months ago due to loss of signal. It's repairable, but I don't have the skills / tools.

The proposed FAA regs limiting altitude along with AMA's p***y response has severly hammpered my RC activities.

Attachments

• 1560384422768-jpg.jpg
      1560384422768-jpg.jpg
      202.4 KB · Views: 451

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This glider crashed a few months ago due to loss of signal. It's repairable, but I don't have the skills / tools.

The proposed FAA regs limiting altitude along with AMA's p***y response has severly hammpered my RC activities.

Our club president has argued with me several times about how high we are with gliders. He always climbs my telemetry is way off.

Last weekend he flew a drone up and pointed out to me that “that’s 400’”

So I flew my Vista up to 300, shot it will my rangefinder directly overhead to confirm, and told him how high it was. He told me it couldn’t be more than 150 and is convinced I don’t know what I’m talking about.

My prediction is that a lot of people are going to ignore that 400’ rule. I don’t usually start hunting for thermals until I get to at least 300’. Usually more like 500’. Thermal soaring will be dead with a 400’ restriction.

AMA is going to compromise until kites are banned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    My glider I built back in the 70s and still have. Needs a current radio now and a new hi-start. I use to love flying it at college but have not done so since due to time and now due to health issues.

Cox Aquila

planes1.jpg

Attachments

• planes1.jpg
      planes1.jpg
      146.8 KB · Views: 831

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Looks like some SERIOUS fun to me.

Slope soaring has always looked like a really fun way to fly. No good slapping grounds around here though.

There are some cliffs around the lake that might get some updrafts, but I’d probably just get a soggy plane.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My glider I built back in the 70s and still have. Needs a current radio now and a new hi-start. I use to love flying it at college but have not done so since due to time and now due to health issues.

Cox Aquila

View attachment 192878

Could always have someone tow it up.

Good thing about using the old MHz transmitters now is that nobody else is on the frequency so you are probably safer than ever, lol.

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    Could always have someone tow it up.

Good thing about using the old MHz transmitters now is that nobody else is on the frequency so you are probably safer than ever, lol.

Ni cads would not be any good for starters, the radio is from around 1985.

Flying up in the panhandle at Lubbock was a great place to thermal. There was an area with 10 soccer fields all together with an asphalt parking lot that made thermals that rolled off it. There were hawks thermaling every where and you just would launch and go follow them around. Buddy lost a plane to a hawk when it attacked and ripped a wing off of it. Long before there were telemetry but we would fly high enough to get into the clouds. Had to hit the spoilers some times to get them down and out of the clouds.

Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I couldn't afford it back then but sounds like fun Mongo.

So many other vids on the Tube.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ni cads would not be any good for starters, the radio is from around 1985.

Flying up in the panhandle at Lubbock was a great place to thermal. There was an area with 10 soccer fields all together with an asphalt parking lot that made thermals that rolled off it. There were hawks thermaling every where and you just would launch and go follow them around. Buddy lost a plane to a hawk when it attacked and ripped a wing off of it. Long before there were telemetry but we would fly high enough to get into the clouds. Had to hit the spoilers some times to get them down and out of the clouds.

I got caught under a cloud once and it was a heck of a fight to get back down.

Not enough thermal activity here for me to get in to unpowered soaring. My best day was about half an hour of unpowered flight after throttling up to about 350’.

It’s usually far less than that. My flyabke days are somewhat limited though since my glider doesn’t care for much wind. 3ch and the polyhedral wing gets hard to control with just rudder. Not ready for a big full house glider yet.

Top Bottom