Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The reason they gave was that if a customer decides they don't want it the gun shop gets caught in the middle, blamed for scratches, etc.
    One FFL I previously used had a good policy about that. They insisted that the shipper put the name of the customer on the outside of the package. Without a name visible, they'd refuse delivery.

Immediately upon delivery, they'd contact the customer and make an appointment. When the customer arrived, they'd open the box in front of the customer. The customer got to see exactly what came in the box and exactly what condition it was in when it arrived. The FFL doing the transfer could never be blamed for condition issues or anything like that.

I always thought that was smart. Then they decided that transfers were too much trouble, upped their price to $75 per, and got out of that business.
    ARJ Defense ad

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    I bet mine came with a hat too but my FFL kept it.
    Lmao, scoundrels...
    One FFL I previously used had a good policy about that. They insisted that the shipper put the name of the customer on the outside of the package. Without a name visible, they'd refuse delivery.

Immediately upon delivery, they'd contact the customer and make an appointment. When the customer arrived, they'd open the box in front of the customer. The customer got to see exactly what came in the box and exactly what condition it was in when it arrived. The FFL doing the transfer could never be blamed for condition issues or anything like that.

I always thought that was smart. Then they decided that transfers were too much trouble, upped their price to $75 per, and got out of that business.
    Exactly, took the words outta my mouth. There's always a way - no excuses.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX

Problem with doing it this way is I have a certain amount of time to log a firearm into my books. I MUST open it to verify serial number and can't wait otherwise I risk the wrath of the BATFE. I'd love to offer that, but it's too much a risk and unfortunately have to draw a line between customer service and ATF rules.

See I just don't understand why they wouldn't....especially for new customers. Can some of you gun shop guns elaborate?

Why would you turn down an opportunity to bring in a new loyal customer? Once you make them happy with the transfer, your goal should be to get them to buy stuff directly. "How about a hat you satisfied customer you?"

Well, to start, a lot of customer's are jerks! Someone that asks me to transfer a gun that I have in my inventory or can order for them is basically telling me they're going out of their way to NOT buy from me. That's not a new loyal customer. Now, if it's a used gun, one I don't sell or one I can't get, then I'm very pleased to help, for a small fee of course.

That being said, I'm not going to fuss because I'm just stating out and charge just 25 bucks for a transfer most of the time and 25 bucks is 25 bucks!

A lot have liability worries too. Not so much with new guns, but with used... Example. Seller says gun is in pristine condition, customer buys it and has it shipped to me. I receive it and log it in and it's covered in blemishes. Seller says that it wasn't like that before he shipped it, customer wants money back. Seller is miles and states away. Buyer is face to face with me... Who is just caught in the middle of a he said-she said game... Seller says he'll refund money and will accept return... Now it's my responsibility to ship back and to argue with customer since they have to pay my shipping costs.

That's just one!

I've heard stories of people having a gun transferred, then never showing up to pick it up. So now I have a gun I don't own... For ever?

Your higher volume places feel it's not worth their time, which is possible.

Now me, being small time... I'm more than willing to help. I have actually had someone ask me about getting them a certain pistol, gave them a price and he had seen it on Bud's having a huge sale that was below my cost to even get it. I was upfront and said I couldn't match it but would transfer it in for him if he ordered it since even with my transfer few it was less. He declined and bought through me even though it cost him an extra 30 bucks. He'll get deals from me for life as I plan to be as loyal to my customers as they are to me.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Problem with doing it this way is I have a certain amount of time to log a firearm into my books. I MUST open it to verify serial number and can't wait otherwise I risk the wrath of the BATFE. I'd love to offer that, but it's too much a risk and unfortunately have to draw a line between customer service and ATF rules.

Well, to start, a lot of customer's are jerks! Someone that asks me to transfer a gun that I have in my inventory or can order for them is basically telling me they're going out of their way to NOT buy from me. That's not a new loyal customer. Now, if it's a used gun, one I don't sell or one I can't get, then I'm very pleased to help, for a small fee of course.

That being said, I'm not going to fuss because I'm just stating out and charge just 25 bucks for a transfer most of the time and 25 bucks is 25 bucks!

A lot have liability worries too. Not so much with new guns, but with used... Example. Seller says gun is in pristine condition, customer buys it and has it shipped to me. I receive it and log it in and it's covered in blemishes. Seller says that it wasn't like that before he shipped it, customer wants money back. Seller is miles and states away. Buyer is face to face with me... Who is just caught in the middle of a he said-she said game... Seller says he'll refund money and will accept return... Now it's my responsibility to ship back and to argue with customer since they have to pay my shipping costs.

That's just one!

I've heard stories of people having a gun transferred, then never showing up to pick it up. So now I have a gun I don't own... For ever?

Now me, being small time... I'm more than willing to help. I have actually had someone ask me about getting them a certain pistol, gave them a price and he had seen it on Bud's having a huge sale that was below my cost to even get it. I was upfront and said I couldn't match it but would transfer it in for him if he ordered it since even with my transfer few it was less. He declined and bought through me even though it cost him an extra 30 bucks. He'll get deals from me for life as I plan to be as loyal to my customers as they are to me.

This is what I prefer with gun shops.

I rarely get the best deal on firearms and it never really bothers me because I usually get customer service that can't be touched by any online retailer. If I'm not getting good CS then it's no longer worth it and I find another shop.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014

That's just one!

That's the right attitude - it resulted in a new loyal customer for you. If someone insists on the transfer, It's likely they are most interested in saving money on the firearm (price oriented). But, who knows what sort of customer they will be for accessories, etc...they're only jerks bc they dont trust you will have their best interest at heart, or that they know everything blah blah. Likely generated from bad experiences with other shops. It's up to you to figure out how to warm them up.

As far as logging it, how much time do you have? If the shop is up front about the timeframe of when I need to get down there to pick it up unopened (and nice about it), that's good CS to me.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm guessing that's part of the reason that particular shop started discouraging transfers. I heard some partial conversations behind the counter about troubles in this area. Apparently 99% of people who are doing a transfer will drop everything and race to the shop to pick up their new toy. An infinitesimal minority, though, were willing to leave things sit for way too long, forcing the FFL into a no-win situation.

Personally, I always ran right over. The only time I ever had a hiccup was when I was picking up a gun and the clerk got a quizzical look on his face.

"I can't find a serial number."
    "Here, let me have a look"
    I look it over for a while before I find it.
    "There's the serial. The serial number is 2."
    "2?"
    "Yeah. 2."
    "That's not a serial number. It's a maker's mark or code or something."
    "No, that's the serial."

They passed the rifle around the shop for 20 minutes and when nobody could find any other markings on it, they finally put down the serial as "2". For some reason, that really bothered them. :)

ETA - Bad memory. I had the rifle handy and took a look. The serial is actually "002". They still didn't like it.

Last edited:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    That's the right attitude - it resulted in a new loyal customer for you. If someone insists on the transfer, It's likely they are most interested in saving money on the firearm (price oriented). But, who knows what sort of customer they will be for accessories, etc...they're only jerks bc they dont trust you will have their best interest at heart, or that they know everything blah blah. Likely generated from bad experiences with other shops. It's up to you to figure out how to warm them up.

As far as logging it, how much time do you have? If the shop is up front about the timeframe of when I need to get down there to pick it up unopened (and nice about it), that's good CS to me.

Yeah, I'm sales so every lead is a lead worth working, but I'll write you off if you don't deserve my services and aren't paying. The entitlement mentality sadly boils over into the gun buyer world, too. All too often the local guys get picked for information and the firearm experience, but not picked for the purchase. Which stinks because I like the experience of handing you that firearm and luckily haven't been selling long enough to have that happen to me personally.

As far as receipt and recording it in the books, Dealers have until the end of the next business day per ATF, but I personally do same day of I can.

I have a full time job and am home based and only can do transfers weekends or Wednesdays, but you're right, I'm upfront about it and it hasn't been an issue yet.

Last edited:

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Yeah, I'm sales so every lead is a lead worth working, but I'll write you off if you don't deserve my services and aren't paying. The entitlement mentality sadly boils over into the gun buyer world, too. All too often the local guys get picked for information and the firearm experience, but not picked for the purchase. Which stinks because I like the experience of handing you that firearm and luckily haven't been selling long enough to have that happen to me personally.

As far as receipt and recording it in the books, Dealers have until the end of the next business day per ATF, but I personally do same day of I can.

I have a full time job and am home based and only can do transfers weekends or Wednesdays, but you're right, I'm upfront about it and it hasn't been an issue yet.

Good point, buyers and sellers must be in agreement. There's no obligation to sell in the private world...good luck in your endeavors!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've been in there a few times and they were already on file with PSA. The one I was going to use was hitting road bumps gettin on file so I said F it and took one in the area they had on file.
    Seems to be a pattern for PSA. The FFL I use always has problems getting stuff from PSA as well.

Texasslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    houston
    A fellow did transfers out of his house in sugarland. He had to quit and move because of family. Very nice fella. Did maybe 5 transfers with him. Now I work further and g2g just down the road handles mine. Twice I've done transfers. Calls me the minute it arrives. It's close and great customer service. $35 worth paying for

Sent from HAM radio

Top Bottom