• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I have free maintenance through 36K miles.

Why do the dealership service guys act like I am asking them to do more than their job?

I call just a few minutes ago to my local and only GM dealership in Granbury, Texas (for those keeping score) to ask if the 4 hour oil change is complete.

Receptionist sends me to someone who puts me on hold for 10 minutes. finally some guy answers and I ask if my truck is ready.

He asks who the service writer is and I answer that I don't know the guy's name.

With a heavy sigh he says he's not sure he can help me without the name.

With just as heavy a sigh, I ask if he thinks the service manager can find it.

Hang on ... 15 seconds later, he says it's ready.

I'm sure they are doing donuts in it as I type this.
    ARJ Defense ad

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    About par for the course. I take my new cars to a dealership for routine service until the basic warranty expires. Never got out of the "Quick Lane" in less than 90 minutes. Once, they "lost" my car. It got put in the lot and just sat there. Three hours later, still no sign of the vehicle.

At least the service manager gave me a free oil change for that visit.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    As long as the service is free (two years), I will take my car to the Toyota dealership. After that they will never see it again for routine service.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    It's likely because the mechanics are not paid well for your free oil change so no real mechanic wants to mess with it. They often hire oil change type guys to help with the marketing ploy of "free maintenance", but if you get that guy, he's probably just there long enough to gain experience so the Quicky Lube will hire him.

A girl at works ex-husband works at a dealer in Ft Worth who offers that free stuff. Guess what her 16 year old kids first job was? You don't want to know how long it took him to learn to do his part of the oil change without supervision. As far as greasing things up and checking fluids and stuff, yeah they kind of do that.

Is a 4 hour oil change and possible increased future maintenance and increased blood pressure really worth it?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have free maintenance through 36K miles.

Why do the dealership service guys act like I am asking them to do more than their job?

I call just a few minutes ago to my local and only GM dealership in Granbury, Texas (for those keeping score) to ask if the 4 hour oil change is complete.

Receptionist sends me to someone who puts me on hold for 10 minutes. finally some guy answers and I ask if my truck is ready.

He asks who the service writer is and I answer that I don't know the guy's name.

With a heavy sigh he says he's not sure he can help me without the name.

With just as heavy a sigh, I ask if he thinks the service manager can find it.

Hang on ... 15 seconds later, he says it's ready.

I received the same type of service recently for my "service included" car. I zinged them yelp, and the service manager called me. He is now my personal service writer. He gave his personal cell number to me and insists I call him for everything.

I didn't expect that. lol

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    I received the same type of service recently for my "service included" car. I zinged them yelp, and the service manager called me. He is now my personal service writer. He gave his personal cell number to me and insists I call him for everything.

I didn't expect that. lol
    pleasant suprise for sure.....good for you Bigun:usflag:

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish

As a followup ...

I go to pick it up and the cashier pages "Daniel".

Daniel walks up and is a 70 year old gent who I had met earlier in the day when he shuttled me home after drop off.

As he is walking out the door, I yell "Hey Daniel ... no donuts, OK?"

There was a long silence in the room then a snicker.

When Daniel arrived, he said the only donuts he does any more have sprinkles on them.

We both laughed.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    My car came with free car washes for life if I stop by the dealership. First time it took them 45 minutes to wash it and the next time over an hour. Guess that's how they keep you from actually using the free service.

However the 4 year/45k mile included maintenance was actually pretty good as they give you a loaner car when you drop off in the morning and you pick up your car in the afternoon.

Top Bottom