Ranges that are brass-scavenging friendly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Keep in mind there are guys like me and yourself that are avid reloaders. I may get say a dozen reloads out of a batch of brass before I get a few splits due to case fatigue. That's enough for me to ditch the lot on the ground. I don't approach max power. If you load my tired old brass to max you can hurt yourself. Without careful inspection of each piece you won't know if it's simply once fired or my old brass.

Be careful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Guns International

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I used to be a brass scrounge until I discovered the reloading groups on Facebook. It's the only reason I'm on facebook. There are guys on there selling 9mm for $16 per and lake city 5.56 for $40 per 1k. I stopped scrounging and started stocking up with better quality brass. Usually at a public range I would find maybe a few hundred cases at a time. Now I order whatever fits in a large flat rate box.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    The range I go to doesnt recycle brass (private range with a cheap yearly membership). I normally go every friday afternoon, and over the course of a year, Ill pay for my membership quite a few times over in scrounged brass.

A few months ago, I shot 100 rounds of .45 and a bunch of rimfire. I came home with 200 rounds of .45, 150 rounds of 9mm, and about 25 rounds of .40! If bought new, that would have cost over 1/2 the yearly range fee! Ive have bought or have been gifted about 500 rounds of 9mm in my life. I am just finishing up my second 1000 round ammo can and have enough brass to probably do 2 more. All from scrounging range brass!

I would NEVER shoot at a range that didnt allow you to pick up your own brass! The indoor range close to my house sells unsorted range brass for $125 a 5 gallon bucket (what I was told he gets for it if recycled). I would imagine it is one heck of a money maker at those prices!!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit....what a ride!"

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I used to be a brass scrounge until I discovered the reloading groups on Facebook. It's the only reason I'm on facebook. There are guys on there selling 9mm for $16 per and lake city 5.56 for $40 per 1k. I stopped scrounging and started stocking up with better quality brass. Usually at a public range I would find maybe a few hundred cases at a time. Now I order whatever fits in a large flat rate box.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    I still scrounge but yes, not really worth the hassle with the current prices.

Definitely not worth fighting over at the range if scrounging is an issue.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I agree the ranges in the Dallas / Fort Worth area do not have a problem with a person picking up their spent brass. I shoot at Elm Fork often enough that I have become friends with most of the Range Staff. When I arrive, they are quick to ask me if I am collecting my brass that day. If I am, they will sweep all of my spent brass into a pile behind me at the rear of my lane. A lot of the time it is my brass and brass left by others as well.

I have never shot at a place that forbid me from collecting my own brass. I would never visit them again, if they tried to implement that rule with me. Whether you reload or buy factory ammo, it is YOUR property.
    I realize that ranges collect brass and recycle it for an additional profit. I have no problem with them doing it at the end of the day after all of the shooters go home. It becomes abandoned property.

If I am still there and I am not allowed to retrieve my personal property, then we are going to have a problem. It is not a wise business model to piss off a person with a firearm, when all you have is a broom.
    I always love the internet tough guy response.

Plus, you are on their property and must follow their rules. While you may not be a problem, scrounging can be a safety concern.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I agree the ranges in the Dallas / Fort Worth area do not have a problem with a person picking up their spent brass. I shoot at Elm Fork often enough that I have become friends with most of the Range Staff. When I arrive, they are quick to ask me if I am collecting my brass that day. If I am, they will sweep all of my spent brass into a pile behind me at the rear of my lane. A lot of the time it is my brass and brass left by others as well.

I have never shot at a place that forbid me from collecting my own brass. I would never visit them again, if they tried to implement that rule with me. Whether you reload or buy factory ammo, it is YOUR property.
    I realize that ranges collect brass and recycle it for an additional profit. I have no problem with them doing it at the end of the day after all of the shooters go home. It becomes abandoned property.

If I am still there and I am not allowed to retrieve my personal property, then we are going to have a problem. It is not a wise business model to piss off a person with a firearm, when all you have is a broom.

So, what do you intend to do in this firearm vs broom confrontation?

Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    e247dbf7efa0c36ecba8d567c0260d55.jpg

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    There are indoor ranges I've been to that do NOT allow you to police up your brass. Once it hits the floor it isn't yours any more. It's theirs.
    Oh yeah, you can NOT use aluminum or steel cased ammo either.
    I just piss'em off by using a revolver. LoL!

I had this issue at a new "fancy" local range we were the only ones on a clean range. He was being a real prick from the start and tried telling me it was a safety hazard to pick up brass between my feet(pistol unloaded, showing clear down range on a table) and tried to sweep it into a conveyor system. Kept my brass anyway I bought it, I brought it/paid to shoot, and I'm taking it home. If you don't like it I'll shoot elsewhere.

I'm normally a pretty nice guy, but I got loud with this guy there's no reason to walk up and get loud with someone picking up their own brass all while trying to sweep it from between my feet into a conveyor in the floor, I don't owe you brass I paid for.

Last edited:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Of course I would not use a weapon against a range officer. I stand by my remakes about picking up my brass. I paid for it, it is mine. If a range has a problem, I don't go back.

Fortunately I shoot at ranges that are shooter friendly. Elm Fork for an example. I get there just as they open. The Range Officers know me. They situate me in an area where I am usually away from the crowds. They know I reload, and they will even sweep my brass into a pile behind me as I shoot.

As far as reload safety goes, check your cases for any signs of distress.
    When I first got into reloading 45 ACP, I took some advice from a custom 1911 builder. He said load you 45 cases until they split and then recycle them. I did. I reloaded some cases over 100 times. They didn't split, but the primer pockets eventually reamed out to where I was getting plasma blow back. Springfield resolved the damage to my slide.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Of course I would not use a weapon against a range officer. I stand by my remakes about picking up my brass. I paid for it, it is mine. If a range has a problem, I don't go back.

Fortunately I shoot at ranges that are shooter friendly. Elm Fork for an example. I get there just as they open. The Range Officers know me. They situate me in an area where I am usually away from the crowds. They know I reload, and they will even sweep my brass into a pile behind me as I shoot.

As far as reload safety goes, check your cases for any signs of distress.
    When I first got into reloading 45 ACP, I took some advice from a custom 1911 builder. He said load you 45 cases until they split and then recycle them. I did. I reloaded some cases over 100 times. They didn't split, but the primer pockets eventually reamed out to where I was getting plasma blow back. Springfield resolved the damage to my slide.
    You paid for the bullets too. Do you retrieve them as well?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

You paid for the bullets too. Do you retrieve them as well?

Now we have gone to the total "DUMBASS" end of the spectrum.
    Yes, we truly have. Threatening to use your firearm so you can get your $10 worth of brass.

The bullets are worth more so I figured you would shoot a few guys to get them too if you had to.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    DAWICO, I give up you win.

I see you have posted over 25,000 posts on this sight. I also see we joined about the same time. You have way too much time on your hands.
    Yes this is personal. I believe you started it after I made an innocent comment which I later addressed. You, on the other hand, can't seem to let things go. Are you a Democrat?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    DAWICO, I give up you win.

I see you have posted over 25,000 posts on this sight. I also see we joined about the same time. You have way too much time on your hands.
    Yes this is personal. I believe you started it after I made an innocent comment which I later addressed. You, on the other hand, can't seem to let things go. Are you a Democrat?
    Yes, it shows in my personal insults.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

IF you are a "case scrounger", look for a range where the "janitor" doesn't care if you pick up other people's (who have left the range) cases.
    (I refuse to shoot at any range where I cannot at least take home MY brass.)

At one range on a local military base, I seldom go home without a BUNCH of brass. - Despite the sign that says "police your brass", many people do not.
    (One of my rifles is a .244 Remington Model 760 & in just one 1-hour "scrounging session" last Fall, I picked up enough 6mm Remington brass to last me for eons, after 3-4 guys left & didn't police their brass. - Fwiw, .244 & 6mm Remington are the same cases.)

just my opinion, satx

Last edited:

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Obe of the perks of belonging to a private range. Picked these up after testing some black powder cap and ball. No brass came from my session. took maybe 5 mins. could have picked up a good bit more, but the skeeters got bad.

46999ef3957717f3feec46b4d2c3d86e.jpg

82- 9mm b
    43- 40 cal
    34- 45 acp

There was at least 5x that left but I refuse to fight the skeeters!! Just that trip paid for 1/2 the yearly dues.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

Top Bottom