Guns International

Range that will rent a Desert Eagle in 44 mag?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I'm in lust over a stainless deagle in 44 mag. I'm not interested in dropping the money on one without shooting one first. Anyone know where I can rent one to see if my infatuation could one day become reality?

Fast Frank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Houston (Woodlands)
    Don't know where you can rent one, but I can tell you my experience shooting those. (My shooting buddies had a few)

1. That's an expensive gun. For what you'll spend to own one you can have just about anything else. OK, maybe not a fine English Double Rifle in a caliber suitable for Rhino, but a nice bolt rifle, or an auto shotgun, or any revolver you can imagine.

2. After shooting the big DE pistol a while, you will realize that it's only good for playing at the range. There's not really any thing that something else can't do better. Sure, you could hunt Hogs with it, but you can have a big Ruger revolver that would serve as well and be more accurate for half the money and half the weight .

3. Shooting .44 mag is not for everybody. Sure, a couple is fun. But many folks feel abused by the big recoil, and are intimidated by the big boom. That DE is a big pistol and it doesn't fit small hands either. The recoil springs (Yeah, there are two side by side under the barrel) make it a bear to pull the slide back, too.

4. The DE requires a big round to work the gas action. You aren't going to be able to shoot light loads, or reduce the recoil. It won't cycle if you do.

5. You'll really want to reload for that pistol. I don't know if you've checked lately, but a box of .44mag cost quite a bit more that most pistol ammo. Most likely in the 30-40 dollars a box range.

Having said all that...

Sure. There's definitely something very cool about that great big loud ass pistol.

Everybody you show it to will go "OOOOOOOOOOOOH! I wanna shoot it!" just like you are now.

But it's kinda like buying a race car- it's fun for a little while but it turns into an expensive toy that takes dedication to own and feed and serves no real purpose other than to be a cool toy.

If you are the kind of guy that's OK with dropping a big wad of money on a toy that won't get played with very much, and are willing to whip out another pile of money every time you use that toy...

Maybe the Desert Eagle is for you.

Hell, you can always sell it after you get your YA-YAs with it anyway.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Don't know where you can rent one, but I can tell you my experience shooting those. (My shooting buddies had a few)

1. That's an expensive gun. For what you'll spend to own one you can have just about anything else. OK, maybe not a fine English Double Rifle in a caliber suitable for Rhino, but a nice bolt rifle, or an auto shotgun, or any revolver you can imagine.

2. After shooting the big DE pistol a while, you will realize that it's only good for playing at the range. There's not really any thing that something else can't do better. Sure, you could hunt Hogs with it, but you can have a big Ruger revolver that would serve as well and be more accurate for half the money and half the weight .

3. Shooting .44 mag is not for everybody. Sure, a couple is fun. But many folks feel abused by the big recoil, and are intimidated by the big boom. That DE is a big pistol and it doesn't fit small hands either. The recoil springs (Yeah, there are two side by side under the barrel) make it a bear to pull the slide back, too.

4. The DE requires a big round to work the gas action. You aren't going to be able to shoot light loads, or reduce the recoil. It won't cycle if you do.

5. You'll really want to reload for that pistol. I don't know if you've checked lately, but a box of .44mag cost quite a bit more that most pistol ammo. Most likely in the 30-40 dollars a box range.

Having said all that...

Sure. There's definitely something very cool about that great big loud ass pistol.

Everybody you show it to will go "OOOOOOOOOOOOH! I wanna shoot it!" just like you are now.

But it's kinda like buying a race car- it's fun for a little while but it turns into an expensive toy that takes dedication to own and feed and serves no real purpose other than to be a cool toy.

If you are the kind of guy that's OK with dropping a big wad of money on a toy that won't get played with very much, and are willing to whip out another pile of money every time you use that toy...

Maybe the Desert Eagle is for you.

Hell, you can always sell it after you get your YA-YAs with it anyway.

1. Yeah I know but can you find me another 44 mag semi auto handgun?
    2. Except being a semi auto that shoots 44 mag.
    3. I'm a big boy with big hands. I played with one in a pawn shop, I can rack it well enough.
    4. boom baby
    5. I want to reload any way. Just one more die.

Well the plan is to have a lever action rifle and a semi automatic pistol in the same caliber. I reckon I could go 357, but 44 mag performs a lot better out of a Marlin 1894SS...

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    1. Yeah I know but can you find me another 44 mag semi auto handgun?
    2. Except being a semi auto that shoots 44 mag.
    Well the plan is to have a lever action rifle and a semi automatic pistol in the same caliber. I reckon I could go 357, but 44 mag performs a lot better out of a Marlin 1894SS...

Don't forget Wildey, if you want something semi-auto and very original. They have .44 mag and used to make a .454 Cassull, both of which can be had in a lever gun. They are very cool, with a pretty unique operating system. They also cost as much, if not more, than the DE.....so even if they all like it, everyone isn't going to go out and get one. You'll be one of the few. Here is a link: The Wildey

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Don't forget Wildey, if you want something semi-auto and very original. They have .44 mag and used to make a .454 Cassull, both of which can be had in a lever gun. They are very cool, with a pretty unique operating system. They also cost as much, if not more, than the DE.....so even if they all like it, everyone isn't going to go out and get one. You'll be one of the few. Here is a link: The Wildey
    oooohhh shiny!

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Yeah, I'm thinking that I need to get one. I don't know if you've ever seen one in action, but the back half is all that moves, similar to [IIRC] the buckmark. There is just something very cool about them.....but at $1600................

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    The .44 has to be cheaper to feed than the .50AE.

I want one as well. Bad. But, I want one in titanium gold. Call it and me what you want ever since I saw face off I told myself I wanted a gold gun and the .44 DE is it.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    The 44DE is on my "to have" list and now with prices falling on them I may be able to add one to my collection of 44mags.
    I love 44mag's and it's my most shot handgun.
    I load near top mag velocities - yeah I know I'm a gluten for punishment but once you get use to shooting them they are no more punishing than a 357 mag IMHO.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    The 44DE is on my "to have" list and now with prices falling on them I may be able to add one to my collection of 44mags.
    I love 44mag's and it's my most shot handgun.
    I load near top mag velocities - yeah I know I'm a gluten for punishment but once you get use to shooting them they are no more punishing than a 357 mag IMHO.

And the ballistics on a 44 mag are MUCH better than 357 out of a 20" barrel. Which really does it for me. The handgun is for my OHSHART backup. If I'm just carrying around like normal, it's 9 mm for me.

Now if only I could find a way to shoot one without having to buy it first...

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    What is the reliability with the rimmed cases? Just curious. A DE sounds like it would be a blast to shoot.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I don't know if you every found one, but Champion Firearms in College Station has a pretty big selection of rental guns.

Nope, haven't had so much of a lead. At the prices they sell for, there's no way I'm going to buy one just to see if I might like it. I'll ask champion and see what they say.

Top Bottom