• breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    hRYSqUd.jpg

PEkDhqN.jpg

Video removed as it did not show context.

M&P 9mm: FO front sight and Sevigny Comp rear sight, Apex FSS trigger
    200 rounds of mixed fire (as noted on the image)
    *My annotation on the image above is very approximate. For instance, I would hit center then pull a shot if shooting quickly. Same when trying to really push speed, I'd hit center, walk out and come back.

I used an IDPA practice target as usual. I'm shooting a bit faster than I "should" in these videos, but that is part of the process of improving.

I am shooting at 5 yards. I'm finding out where my limits are with speed at this range and next time I hit the range I'll probably step it out to 7 yards and then 10.

My goal is to shoot around 0.25 splits at this relatively close range and somewhere from 0.35-0.50 at 7/10 yards. I don't want to say things "came off the rails" when I dipped down into the 0.15-0.20 range as you can see I was still getting hits on target but low scoring hits. I was also working on double taps today as that really should help me in IDPA where I typically shoot pretty accurately, but too slowly to be competitive.

I went with another TGT member and got to shoot his suppressed AR in 300 Blackout and a Glock 26 so that was very cool. Found an AR I really like and I was really impressed by how easy that G26 was to shoot as well.

** In the future ill try to make any range videos more indicative of the totality of the range session to provide better context.

*** Why did I post this? I'm decent, but want to keep getting better and think that some of my lessons learned may help others and know others will have some good advice for me as well. If this post is received well, I may keep posting videos/reviews/updates as I (hopefully) keep improving. #positivepush
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Were you seeing the second sight picture on those double taps?
    Recovered enough to see the front sight but it wasn't framed 100%. This competition rear sight has some air in it.

Definitely shooting faster than I "should" here and this is at 5 yards still. Mostly I was working on my grip and stance to recover the recoil quickly and hit the next shot as soon as I got any type of shootable sight picture.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Don't let the videos distract anyone from contributing input please. Im not hot dogging. Its the video I had and as I honestly stated it is close range and the edge of my ability.

Im just looking for advice and pointers on how to improve and hoping to have a conversation that is mutually beneficial. I go to IDPA shoots and get humbled, not my ego fed.

Contribute. Ask questions.

Sig has given me a lot of great advice and drills to try. It takes a lot of work to get good at this and I'm still a beginner.

Transitioning between targets is another thing I need to work on. I shoot...then follow the gun to the next target instead of seeing the target and moving the gun.

Just an example of how I need to improve!

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Nice shooting. Looks like you're managing recoil nice. About shooting a little fast- you never learn unless you push yourself.
    Recovering from recoil well and picking the sights back up quickly is what I was focusing on during that range trip. Time goes quickly on the range doesn't it?

Next time I go out ill try and run some drills and take some pix of the results after a mag or two and not a blown out target.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    You said contribute and ask questions....so I asked!

To me, the fundamental that is key to the entire process of shooting for IDPA/self defense is to get the gun out of your holster....if you can't do that then double taps, mag dumps and super tactical gun throws will do you no good!

Part task practice is good and necessary and with that being said task specificity/relatability is crucial....drawing your gun in your garage is different than drawing on the range because (assuming youre not a dumbass) you don't practice with a loaded gun in your garage....your brain and therefore your technique are completely different when you add in the possibility that the gun will fire a round if you screw up your draw!

So....put the gun in the holster...then draw it and shoot your drill!

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You said contribute and ask questions....so I asked!

To me, the fundamental that is key to the entire process of shooting for IDPA/self defense is to get the gun out of your holster....if you can't do that then double taps, mag dumps and super tactical gun throws will do you no good!

Part task practice is good and necessary and with that being said task specificity/relatability is crucial....drawing your gun in your garage is different than drawing on the range because (assuming youre not a dumbass) you don't practice with a loaded gun in your garage....your brain and therefore your technique are completely different when you add in the possibility that the gun will fire a round if you screw up your draw!

So....put the gun in the holster...then draw it and shoot your drill!

Why did I even ask?

Thanks for the input broseph.

Drawing and dry firing at home is certainly a good thing to do.

Drawing at the buzzer each time at the range? It gets another reperepetition in but that wasn't what I was focusing on. Was trying to break things down and focus on controlling the gun in recoil and picking the sights up.

Thanks for sharing!

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've been getting some advice and shooting 6 shot groups seems to be popular.

I also need to focus less on the timer and more on accuracy. Can't miss fast enough right?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Focus on BOTH separately, and then ultimately, combining them. Sometimes the timer, pushing speed. Sometimes accuracy, pushing for the best possible accuracy. One side will tell you the timer is just for games, which are typically slow shooters. The other side will say it's all about speed, when sometimes what the shot calls for is extreme accuracy (and sometimes at speed as well).

As far as shot groups, I would just say change it up ever so often, and don't get stuck on always doing double taps. If there's one thing I've seen hold a lot of people back, it's practicing double taps almost all of the time, to the point where in multi shot strongs, they inevitably get trigger freeze or have an inadvertent pause every couple of shots, as opposed to a consistent cadence.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Focus on BOTH separately, and then ultimately, combining them. Sometimes the timer, pushing speed. Sometimes accuracy, pushing for the best possible accuracy. One side will tell you the timer is just for games, which are typically slow shooters. The other side will say it's all about speed, when sometimes what the shot calls for is extreme accuracy (and sometimes at speed as well).

As far as shot groups, I would just say change it up ever so often, and don't get stuck on always doing double taps. If there's one thing I've seen hold a lot of people back, it's practicing double taps almost all of the time, to the point where in multi shot strongs, they inevitably get trigger freeze or have an inadvertent pause every couple of shots, as opposed to a consistent cadence.
    Im working to find that balance between 2 separate slow shots and a sloppy double tap.

Again I think the drills will be beneficial in this regard.

Top Bottom