• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I went to the gun range to test out some different handguns with my brother in law. I wanted to compare different brands I hadn’t shot before with my Glock 17 and CZ 75 as base references (which I brought along to shoot as well). Overall, all guns were accurate and reliable (even though I will admit that a range gun with many rounds through the pipe should be reliable regardless of brand). Two of the guns were for concealment:
    The Glock 26 was a solid little gun. I was worried about accuracy and hammer bite as I prefer full sized guns, but this would be my choice with the tests I’ve done thus far for concealment. The Kahr P9 was much smaller and lighter, but felt cheap. It took me longer to acquire the target with the P9 and I felt that I could break the magazine spring every time I loaded the magazine.
    The H&K USP 9 and the Sig P250 were excellent guns. They felt lighter than my G17. I didn’t mind the Sig’s DA trigger, which for a DA was very smooth, but did make accuracy more difficult. You could buy either one of these guns and be completely happy. I would choose the G17 over the other two mainly due to price differences. I’m not sure what I’m getting with the extra $200+ for the H&K. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not bagging on any of these brands, just giving my two cents.
    It was the S&W M&P that really shined above the rest and may be my next .45 purchase. While I tested the 9mm version, it was the most accurate, easiest to acquire the target, felt the sturdiest, and was an overall joy to shoot. I felt it would be a seamless compliment to my G17 and CZ 75.
    Guns International

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Good stuff there, thanks for the report. I'm looking into a G17 right now but also own a cz75 in stainless, a BHP, an SW99 and a Witness. I have always thought about the usp9 and the M&P. It looks like the M&P just made my shortlist.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Good to hear my range report gave some insight! I went in very open minded. I didn't want which guns I currently own to sway my opinion of what I tried shooting for the first time. I only brought my guns along as a basis to compare right on the range for instant feedback. I also didn't need to build any "buyer's confidence" since I'm happy with what I own and am looking for additions to the collection to give it some variety. From the time I first purchased a gun, I always felt that accuracy and quality in the major firearm brands are probably on par with each other and that the "better" weapon is what feels the most natural to the shooter (rather than one brand being superior to all others).

I wish I had time to shoot the Springfield XDM as I suspect it will be a serious contender to the M&P as well as the Glock. Never tried a Walther, any feed back on the P99 Streakpi?

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    The P99 shoots well, every time. I have a P99QA GEN 1 I bought back in 2002. I've had FTF/FTE with my cheap-o Kel-Tecs and even a Taurus 24/7 but never with the P99. She shoots whatever you load and keeps a pretty good grouping. I put Tritium sights on top..and that is the only modification. I'm a novice shooter/gun owner so I couldn't go into too much more detail. However, less snap than a XD9 or XD40.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It was the S&W M&P that really shined above the rest...
    I remember being pleasantly surprised the first time I shot a M&P as well. The first one I had, I only picked up because it was a really good deal. I figured I'd just use it as future barter. When I tried it out however, I was very pleased with it. Now I have two! I still have more Sigs, tho ;)

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah.. +1 for the m&p .. interesting little gun. You don't know what you are getting for the extra $200 in the HK? Strange I can feel ever cents worth of extra cash in the H&k's.

what I want to know and I don't understand... is why everyone thinks that glocks are such good guns(getting ready for the shit storm)? I guess it is my hands but " I " <------ notice the I part think they are a marginal pistol that is a good option for self defense mostly because of their large selection of sizes, calibers, and reliability... Now you talk to me about pleasure shooting I won't even take my glock out of the bag... Anything over the 9 has a terrible snap to it and it rubs my hand raw. A heavily modified glock is one thing but out of the box no thank you. Before yall go apeS*** on me please only respond to this if you have shot the 6 or so major brand pistols in multiple calibers... Because if you own A glock and that is where your experience stops I don't want to hear how awesome of a pistol it is.

jcm

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Yeah.. +1 for the m&p .. interesting little gun. You don't know what you are getting for the extra $200 in the HK? Strange I can feel ever cents worth of extra cash in the H&k's.

what I want to know and I don't understand... is why everyone thinks that glocks are such good guns(getting ready for the shit storm)? I guess it is my hands but " I " <------ notice the I part think they are a marginal pistol that is a good option for self defense mostly because of their large selection of sizes, calibers, and reliability... Now you talk to me about pleasure shooting I won't even take my glock out of the bag... Anything over the 9 has a terrible snap to it and it rubs my hand raw. A heavily modified glock is one thing but out of the box no thank you. Before yall go apeS*** on me please only respond to this if you have shot the 6 or so major brand pistols in multiple calibers... Because if you own A glock and that is where your experience stops I don't want to hear how awesome of a pistol it is.

jcm
    It is like winning an arguement about Chevy being better than Ford, its unwinable.....regardless of the response, it is all subjective. Opinions are like assholes, we all got one. To me nothing is more comfortable than a Glock, but I dont expect everyone else to feel that way. Variety is the spice of life.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Great response to Austex, texascop2. As I was shooting the other brands I thought to myself "if this was my first gun, I could totally stick with it forever." I basically learned that all of the arguements to accuracy, style are really moot and that for any of us it boils down to price and style.

If there is any arguing to be had, it should be on how to better train using a firearm rather than which is the better firearm.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    @Austex - so I shot a Beretta PX Storm, Sig Sauer P229, Glock 17, Glock 19, and a S&W M&P Pro this past weekend - along with my Walther P99....and I came across the realization that there are a LOT of kick-ass guns out there. Since my wife hates shooting the .45s in classes - I am now in the market for a new 9mm. Guess what - the Sig won hands down (G19 close second). There was ZERO felt recoil of that Sig...it was beautiful. SO - as a Glock lover, I must say that there are plenty of complimentary guns out there. (We will buy a Sig in some fashion chambered in 9mm...still gotta fire the P226 and P250 next weekend).

The problem I have is that most of us can only afford a couple guns without killing the bank. Sooo, the 1-2 guns we have - if they be Glocks - fill our world and get the thunderous praise on these forums. I don't need dozens of guns filling my basement to compare my Glocks or XD with...hell, I don't have dozens of trucks in my driveway - just my trusty Sierra 3500HD - and she is better than all the rest!!

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    You know, I would like to get another 9MM. My shortlist includes both the XDm and M&P. I have yet to hold either, but I hear so many good things about them.

I thought the Sig was steel and as such would be heavier than the glock...no?

crabbys44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Austin
    You know, I would like to get another 9MM. My shortlist includes both the XDm and M&P. I have yet to hold either, but I hear so many good things about them.

I thought the Sig was steel and as such would be heavier than the glock...no?

The SIG has an alloy frame and a stainless slide. It is shorter than a G-17 both in height and width. I'm too lazy to look up the actual weights right now, but they should be close.

Top Bottom