Range practice - how many practice drawing & firing?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
During this time everyone should be practicing dry fire weekly from both the open carry and concealed from their holster as a minimum.
Practicing combat reloads and shooting like (toddnjoyce) is a great drill. I am fortunate to be able to do this 3 and 4 times a week (at Work).
Welcome to the Forum!

Dave68

TGT Supporter
Sep 4, 2014
Houston
My range allows it, so I am able to practice drawing and firing. I don’t practice drawing every range trip, but it is helpful to practice once a month at least.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
Jan 9, 2013
San Angelo
When I go to our range, I drive around, looking for an open bay that has a target up- hopefully with a good sized spot with no holes in it- I pull up, get out of the pickup, and immediately draw and engage the target- I try to emulate getting out of my truck and having to deal with a threat.

I fire 2 rounds as best I can, pause, and fire twice more.

I then reholster (pocket carry mostly), turn away from the target and randomly move several feet left or right, turn and do it again.

If there are no bays w/target up, I go to one with clay bird fragments on the berm, and use them instead of paper targets.

I've only been doing the exit-vehicle-engage drill for about 6 months, but compared to my first time doing it I've drastically improved.

I have come to believe, mostly through competition and training, that emulating real world conditions as closely as possible (as well as drills and training) will greatly decrease OH CRAP! moments when experiencing an adrenaline dump in real life.

TipBledsoe

Jun 28, 2020
San Antonio area
I didn't much consider the need for it until I began participating in CAS - Then realizing the huge difference it makes I started practicing draws from concealed with my EDC too. Ive become a firm believer that one needs to establish a good muscle memory in the event a real life scenario may happan.

PopPop

TGT Supporter
Jun 22, 2020
Leander, Tx
Only time I have been able to practice drawing and firing has been either on the police qualifying range or when my buddy had his own shooting range at his house. No public ranges I have used allowed drawing from a holster.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
Jan 9, 2013
San Angelo
Only time I have been able to practice drawing and firing has been either on the police qualifying range or when my buddy had his own shooting range at his house. No public ranges I have used allowed drawing from a holster.
If you ever get out to San Angelo I'll be happy to take you to ours, which allows it. For $140 a year/family, it's the best bargain I've ever heard of in shooting ranges.

Also, if anyone is ever driving through Ozona and wants to stop off for some shooting, they have a pretty nice, free, public range where pretty much anything non-explosive is allowed (it's less than a mile from the sheriffs office).

gambler

Jul 31, 2020
Texas
Honestly I'm not interested in going to any kind of a public shooting range that allows it. There are so many completely unqualified people shooting at the various public ranges around here that I would not even want to consider shooting at one where those people are practicing their quick draw skills.

Next time you go to a public range, step back and watch how many safety violations you can see happening. And more untrained and unaware shooters out there today than there was before the Chinese virus hit.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Georgetown
I plan on doing some draw and live fire practice today on some acreage I own. It's about an hour and 40 minute drive one way. That's why I've only been doing draw and dry fire at home. The range I go to doesn't allow it. But I did sneak in two or three draws when I was there by myself, heh heh. My focus is more on accuracy than on speed. The Laserlyte training cartridge shows I do pretty well on a B27 target. Guessing my speed is around 1 second. Not all that great from open carry.

May 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Honestly I'm not interested in going to any kind of a public shooting range that allows it.
I believe that all the public ranges that allow it (like the one in my video above) are all ranges that you are able to rent an individual tactical bay where you are separate from all other shooters and surrounded on 3 sides with high sand walls.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member