DK Firearms

Range practice - how many practice drawing & firing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    I believe that all the public ranges that allow it (like the one in my video above) are all ranges that you are able to rent an individual tactical bay where you are separate from all other shooters and surrounded on 3 sides with high sand walls.
    That would probably be OK but I have never seen anything like that anywhere close around here. I would bet that those types of facilities are going to be more common in places that are gun clubs that in places that are just commercial, open to the public shooting ranges.
    Military Camp

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I can't recall if I have ever seen anyone drawing at the range I go to.

And I am often the only one on the pistol range.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Austin, TX
    RPR in Burnet is public and has lots of tactical bays. Most are 20yds x 60yds (and some are larger), so there is plenty of room for performing drills safely.
    964a35dc0ae55609ff4a285baf6af4df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Just curious as to how many folks actually practice drawing and firing when at the range.

I almost never see anyone doing this when at the range. Understand that some ranges don't allow this, fortunately the range I visit does.

That is pretty much the only way I practice anymore. Drawing from under a shirt, firing pairs. Often drawing and firing pairs at two targets (if the range is not crowded).

Seems to make shooting from the ready position seem easier.

Clearing the shirt to get a good grip on the pistol takes some experimentation to get the technique down.
    My shooting pard and I load each others mags and sneek one or two Snap Caps into the stack out of 3 mags. We watch the other draw, fire, move, assess, re-engage and reloads AND clearing the resulting surprise malfunctions.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Even though the range I am a member of is a private range, and located in the country, the owners don't necessarily condone drawing from concealment and firing for practice.....unless you are alone. I also have a small range at my farm that I do such practice. That way the only observers are the livestock and they just keep on grazing in most cases.

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    It's all I ever do. I do both from battle belt holster and EDC holster, but mostly EDC. My range has pistol bays and tac bays set up so you can do whatever a guy wants to do. I haven't been to an indoor range in 2 years. I don't see the point. To me it's a hindrance and not a help. I also have a place on the property where I run dryfire drills almost every day after work. It's my decompression time. I can't stress dryfire practice enough....moving off the X and using different positions from prone, side, and back are paramount to being efficient and proficient with your weapon.

Last edited:

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    When I go to our range, I drive around, looking for an open bay that has a target up- hopefully with a good sized spot with no holes in it- I pull up, get out of the pickup, and immediately draw and engage the target- I try to emulate getting out of my truck and having to deal with a threat.

I fire 2 rounds as best I can, pause, and fire twice more.

I then reholster (pocket carry mostly), turn away from the target and randomly move several feet left or right, turn and do it again.

If there are no bays w/target up, I go to one with clay bird fragments on the berm, and use them instead of paper targets.

I've only been doing the exit-vehicle-engage drill for about 6 months, but compared to my first time doing it I've drastically improved.

I have come to believe, mostly through competition and training, that emulating real world conditions as closely as possible (as well as drills and training) will greatly decrease OH CRAP! moments when experiencing an adrenaline dump in real life.

I believe that anyone who owns a firearm should be required to know how to draw, shoot, and reload at a MINIMUM. If one carries EDC, why do they do so? They do it in the event that a bad day comes knocking on their door. If one hasn't developed the muscle memory and confidence to handle a bad situation under duress, they are now a danger to me, my family, and bystanders as they wildly try to protect themselves.

I don't mean to get on a soapbox, but safety and violations were mentioned and I thought this applied. Good on you brother for practicing the way you do.

bbslider001

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My range allows it, so I am able to practice drawing and firing. I don’t practice drawing every range trip, but it is helpful to practice once a month at least.

If your range allows it, I'd make it the standard on EVERY trip. How often will you be carrying your weapon in your hand and a bad situation presents itself? Just about never would be my guess. Muscle memory for efficiency is everything.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom