• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In looking at the range insurance through the NRA and getting a little stumped.

In the questionnaire it asks what certifications I have and what I plan to teach.

Right now I have none and only want to do a basic class(for free) getting people introduced to firearms. Mostly to draw more people to the pro gun side.

I plan to take classes and get my instructors certification for basic handgun marksmanship and go from there with other classes.

Also, my dad will be using the same range to do the CHL course next year after he gets his instructors license.

I wanted to start working on getting the insurance so I can start doing the basic course but I'm not sure if I will end up with higher rates for not having instructors certifications already.

It also asks if it is a partnership, I will be using the same range as my dad but we will not be working together so would we need separate insurance plans?

Any help would be appreciated.
    ARJ Defense ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Certifications are important for more than insurance.

Unless you are established free classes might not work. Not speaking to you directly, but I don't know if I would take training from someone who did not feel his time was worth anything.

I strongly suggest at least an NRA instructor cert.

Good luck

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I agree with TXI.....Get your certifications first...It has everything to do with credibility. Anyone can show someone how to shoot. Certified Instructors teach.

Get your RSO asasp. There are some NRA courses that are home study and need not have to take classes.

Even ..if.... you plan on giving free courses to start. Free of courses does not absolve you from liability. You already know that hence, your questions. Without certifications...well you get the picture....

Are you using an established range or building your own? Using a cow pasture with just a berm is not really a range.

If you are using an established range, you don't neccessarily need range insurance, but instructor insurance. If the range is yours then yes, you need range insurance. I would also get instructor insurance even with the range insurance.

I commend you and your Father for wanting to become more involved in the industry. It does need good folks. There are many already in it that should not be. imho...

Professionalism and being credible is not something you get by just getting your certificates. It will take time. Plan accordingly. In the short months I've been around here, there are many including TXI that heavily involved and are a good resource for you.

All of this of course is jmho. I am a seasoned citizen and have been told from time to time that I am full of it....

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm looking at the instructors courses in Cleburne and I will see what I can find as far as online courses go, I can probably get in to those a little sooner as the cleburne courses are only held once a month and I have an on call schedule to deal with.

As far as the range, we know someone very knowledgable in the area who has come out and pointed out what changes need to be made, we are pretty well on track with it. Not quite ready at this point but getting close.

Thanks for both of your advice.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Get an NRA Range book. Will be the best $65.00 (iirc) you spend....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom