• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    im from san diego and just moved here to san antonio a couple months back. i have about 5 10 round mags for my ruger p85 and coule easily convert them to accept more then 10 rounds with my dremil.

the mags say that modifying them is a violation of federal laws. is that only in california, or is that just to deture people

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    why if i already have some. they are the same mag bodies and components. the only difference is that they take the mag bodies and put a dimple in them to keep the follower from going down all the way. i can remove the dimple with a cutoff wheel in a few seconds.

i just wanna know if this is legal or not.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Federal law would not relate to California mags. I bet those mags were made during the 10 round limit from 1994 to 2004. You might check the ATF FAQ, but I am not aware of any law that would prohibit you from altering those; certainly there is no Texas law.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There is no law stipulating mag capacity in Texas or on the Federal level. Otherwise the extended base plates used in many applications to increase capacity would be illegal.

California is a state that has it's own restrictions on mag capacity.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    There is no law stipulating mag capacity in Texas or on the Federal level. Otherwise the extended base plates used in many applications to increase capacity would be illegal.

California is a state that has it's own restrictions on mag capacity.

thats because they seem to think that limiting law abiding firearms owners is going to somehow make non-law abiding firearms holders follow... this is where i like to use the term failure

Guess a move back to CA is not in your future plans. Welcome to Texas....

screw that place. my friends are getting IOUs for their state tax and after all the earthquakes they are having... not to mention i cant even by an effin AK out there

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    well, i had one mag with just one little dimple and i just used a 3/8 bit to drill it out. i then attempted to use a step bit just to clean it up a little but it cause the mag to split at a weld which ran through it. to be revisited at a later date.

the other 3 i am looking at modding have a dimpled line from the floor plate up either side up about 1/3rd to 1/2 way up (allowing the follower and bullets to only go down far enough to allow 10 rounds). those ones are from a different manufacturer and should be easy. i have a large cut-off wheel i am going to use to take them out. i plan on leaving a little bit of the dimple at the bottom though just for structural stability at the floor plate

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Use your politically correct mags at the range. Get some standard capacity mags and keep 'em for daily carry, etc.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    ive successfully modified one of the three mags i had. it was a lot of work and all in all i had to charge the battery on my dremil i think 3 times. not worth the effort. i guess i didnt take into account the thickness and hardness of the metal used. well, to be quite honest i thout it would be quite a bit thinner and weaker. found some inexpensive mags which should work just fine so ill probably pick some up.

i guess i have been so engrained to buy 10 round mags and they generally DO cost slightly more (interesting) that i didnt realize how cheap some high cap mags are. ive got my eyes on a couple 33 rounders and a good few 15 rounders.

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    The 50 and 100 round pistol and carbine mags for Calico (Ironically "1982, California Instrument Company") are only expensive because they had to keep relocating the factory to various States due to silly mag capacity laws ... I think they are in the 3rd State they have been in .... Calico Light Weapon Systems

I think they had to leave California, went to Pennsylvania, then currently ...
    Calico Light Weapon Systems
    5405 SE Alexander St. Suite P
    Hillsboro, OR 97123
    Shouldda just came to Texas we welcome new businesses which help our economy instead of driving them away

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    ive successfully modified one of the three mags i had. it was a lot of work and all in all i had to charge the battery on my dremil i think 3 times. not worth the effort. i guess i didnt take into account the thickness and hardness of the metal used. well, to be quite honest i thout it would be quite a bit thinner and weaker. found some inexpensive mags which should work just fine so ill probably pick some up.

i guess i have been so engrained to buy 10 round mags and they generally DO cost slightly more (interesting) that i didnt realize how cheap some high cap mags are. ive got my eyes on a couple 33 rounders and a good few 15 rounders.

Supply and demand. No one really wants those 10 round magazines, especially if the gun was designed to have more. I still not a big fan of the magazines that stick out of the gun, but I like having lots of rounds "just in case." Since most of the US doesn't think that 11th round is a thermonuclear baby killer the demand isn't there. . . .

I'd still be careful about what brand you get.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    the demand for 10 round mags in california is rising. mostly due to the increasing demand for guns thre as everyone thinks they will become illegal any moment so they are stocking up. you cant buy 11+ round mags in california so that drives up the demand to have more smaller mags on hand "just in case" as you put it

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    Good thing California has a law (I guess they do anyway) that a maximum of 3 people can be in any one street gang or home invasion group or robbery so you only need 3 bullets each, and allow one extra in case of a bad primer etc.
    On another note, looks like they just rounded up the 17 Illegal Aliens, some were involved involved in the shooting of that Deputy in Arizona.
    I do wonder if more than 3 people invade a home or rob a place how they'd decide which ones gets the ticket. I'm guessing it would be whichever bad guys survive after you ran out of bullets.
    Not sure what would detain him or keep him from just leaving, or what incentive he'd have to stick around though, unless he just wanted to wait so he could sign the ticket when police arrive later. That could be the case if he is a frustrated movie star from Hollywood, and wanted to pretend people were asking for his autograph.

Have they passed a law that only 3 people at a time may riot yet? They probably should. They could have all who want to participate register with the city and get schedules of what time they can riot so only 3 at a time are rioting ...They probably should.
    List of riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Let's see, when was the last riot in California? 2 months ago? Started because of College tuition increases?
    Was April's riot cancelled due to Spring Break?

Sorry to get off topic, I'd buy new mags for carrying, save any modified ones for the range, for the sake of reliability.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    i dont know where the eff you just went with that.

i will be doing exactly what you said; saving the modified mags for the range for less reloading and keeping a working AND reliable mag in battery. i actually picked up a nice 15 round mag in california. i kept that one in the safe though in case i got stopped by the fuzz

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    i dont know where the eff you just went with that.

i will be doing exactly what you said; saving the modified mags for the range for less reloading and keeping a working AND reliable mag in battery. i actually picked up a nice 15 round mag in california. i kept that one in the safe though in case i got stopped by the fuzz

I was under the impression you could have them, they just had to be disassembled.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom