• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Carrollton
    Wanting to know if anyone has had any issues out at Quail Creek Shooting Range (near T.M.S.)? Went out there with a friend and my 12 year old son last week and had an issue. Have you been, did you have any issues, would you go back?
    Texas SOT

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    They used to have really bad reviews because of the overbearing Range Officers. I went back then and did not plan on going back. Then they renovated everything and I went a couple times. It seems like the new Range Officers are much better.

Still, I'd rather go to ShootSmart. It's right by Golden Triangle and I35, south of Cabelas.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Shootsmart is a lot nicer place to shoot than Quail Creek. I've been to both, never had any problems at QC, but shootsmart is just a lot nicer facility. It's new though, so that might change.

Flyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Carrollton
    Had a bad experience with an overbearing R.O. One R.O. told us that we could collect our brass during the time the range went cold. While my friend and I walked down to the targets on the 100 yard range my 12 year old was collecting my brass. The taller older guy, who relieved the first younger one, jumped my son without me there. When my son held up the brass trying to explain that he was collecting them for me he, the older guy, took offence to that.

After my friend and I returned from the targets my son started to explain what happened. Before he could finish the R.O. came back and said to my son “You do what the range officer says when he says it.” I asked the R.O. what he did and was ignored by the R.O. I asked again what he did. The R.O. just said that he was not listening to him.

Before I could say anything to him the older R.O. left and the younger one returned. I told the original one that I didn’t appreciate the way my son was talked to and he should have taken the issue up with me… a grown man.

I just feel that the issue was handled very improperly and the older guy, who I now know his name, should have been an adult, and a man, and approached me with what he thought was an infraction of the rules.

The friend I was with was contacted by one of the owners after he was informed about it and said they are aware of the “Range Nazi” rep they have and are working on fixing it. Not too sure if I could recommend them or not. My first experience was not a good one. I plan on calling them Monday.

Sorry about the length of the post.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I haven't been there in over 5 years, and quit going because of the RO's. I had shot there maybe 10 or 15 times, and on virtually every trip, there was some shooter berated, aloud for all to hear. Not saying the individuals didn't commit some minor infraction like one I remember where during a cold range, the shooter left his semi auto on the bench with the mag out, slide locked back but was positioned so the open chamber was towards the bench. Going down the line to check the weapons before sending the shooters down to targets, the RO came across this one and yelled out "who's damn gun is this?" When the owner identified himself the RO screamed at him that "he didn't have time to turn guns over to check them and you stupid people need to learn how we do things around here" He could have simply turned it over, and then when the range when hot again, he could have calmly approached the guy and mentioned it's preferable to have the chamber visible so it's easier for him to check.

Hi Cap says it's changed, and I trust his judgment on such matters, so maybe I'll give it a chance down the line... (when the temp drops below 100 for a while)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Rule infractions should be addressed with the violator. That said, when it is a juvenile the parent should have the incident explained to him/her in a mature, professional manner.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Cool buddy. Like I said, it's been awhile, and since we've been going to Elm Fork, I've kinda got spoiled with them giving us our own bay, and pretty much leaving us alone. QR is close to me as well, so I'll give them another go. Maybe you and your dad can meet there some time when it cools down a bit.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I Got my CHL training there and have been shooting there almost every week for several years. I have never had a problem. As a matter of fact, I was there today and talked with the RO's and they were very nice and helpful. One of them helped me with my red dot scope. I purchase a multi-week pass and save a few dollars.
    They have a rule on the public range that you can not rapid fire, you must have 2 seconds between each shot. One young man was firing very fast and the RO was polite and asked him to slow down, please. All was fine.
    My 2cents

Top Bottom