• ...and so much more!
  • CanuckOperator

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2023
    Austin, TX
    Hi all,
    Moved to Texas last month from Canada and still on the wait for getting into DPS for my drivers license, currently have an appointment in January.
    I'm wondering if it is possible to purchase a firearm from an FFL if I can prove beyond doubt that I reside in Texas.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
    Target Sports

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Doesn't the residency requirement depend on the particular office you are dealing with? For DPS to get a LTC, its 6 months. For a DL, its 30 days. For an FFL, they do not have to see an LTD or DL to sell a pistol, don't they just have to see proof of residency...e.g., mortgage on a house, lease for an apartment, monthly utility bill to your address?

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Doesn't the residency requirement depend on the particular office you are dealing with? For DPS to get a LTC, its 6 months. For a DL, its 30 days. For an FFL, they do not have to see an LTD or DL to sell a pistol, don't they just have to see proof of residency...e.g., mortgage on a house, lease for an apartment, monthly utility bill to your address?
    While those documents may prove residency, some form of government-issued ID is needed to prove identity.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    While those documents may prove residency, some form of government-issued ID is needed to prove identity.
    Yes. So I think he could take his current DL (I am assuming he is a US citizen with non-TX state DL) or US passport to prove identity, then his lease, mortgage, or CPS/SAWS bill to show residency. Of course, the FFL has to agree to this...some are pretty picky to avoid ATF audits.

jnynetwk

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2023
    Victoria, TX
    I don't know what the law says, but I moved to Tx from Washington over the summer and applied for an LTC days after getting my DL. It took about a month to get it approved and in the mail, which seems like it's on the long side, but no one said anything about needing to wait. I got them, maybe 6 weeks apart, if that.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Of course, the FFL has to agree to this...some are pretty picky to avoid ATF audits.
    Came here to say this. It doesn't really matter what the law says if the FFL doesn't want to draw attention and thinks deviating from standard procedure will cause that.

Hell, I was denied a ticket by an airline ticket counter drone because I used my CHL instead of my DL. "CHL" tells you this was a long time ago. Anyway, the counter drone insisted on a DL and when I gave it to him he basically threw my CHL back at me while scoffing at the notion that something like that could be used for ID.

My plan was to get completely done at the counter so they couldn't screw me over then get his supervisor and read 'em the riot act. It didn't work out, though. My mom and sis reminded me that we were running very late on our way to a funeral. We barely made it to the plane on time.

So I left.

But, boy, did I want to punch that smug clerks face before I left... :(

My point is that the more unusual the request, the more likely to hit a showstopping snag, even if it shouldn't.

When was the last time anyone here successfully mail ordered a firearm from an in-state gun shop? It's technically possible (or at least it used to be) but the last time I looked, the BATFE no longer even published on their website the modified 4473 required for such a sale.

Vanilla, nothing unusual sales are all some gun shops will do. It's an unfortunate fact of life these days.

jnynetwk

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2023
    Victoria, TX
    Also, what I would do is not just take the date of your local DMV. Look around to some of the smaller towns which may have an appointment much sooner. I drove about an hour away because there was an appointment in Cuero that I could get into the following week rather than wait months for my local DMV to have an appointment.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Yes. So I think he could take his current DL (I am assuming he is a US citizen with non-TX state DL) or US passport to prove identity, then his lease, mortgage, or CPS/SAWS bill to show residency. Of course, the FFL has to agree to this...some are pretty picky to avoid ATF audits.
    I tried that way back and for me it was No way Jose took it me over a month because my wife and I were married in Las Vegas and I had to proove that because they had an issue with it becuase it wasn't the state we resided in so it took that long to get a document sent to me. No Texas license and no buying guns. I was about ready to head to New Mexico.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Hi all,
    Moved to Texas last month from Canada and still on the wait for getting into DPS for my drivers license, currently have an appointment in January.
    I'm wondering if it is possible to purchase a firearm from an FFL if I can prove beyond doubt that I reside in Texas.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
    Welcome to Texas!
    Why wait? Why not go to DPS one day? I was there recently and you just walk in, take a number and get served shortly. No appt necessary at the DPS.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    When was the last time anyone here successfully mail ordered a firearm from an in-state gun shop? It's technically possible (or at least it used to be) but the last time I looked, the BATFE no longer even published on their website the modified 4473 required for such a sale.

Vanilla, nothing unusual sales are all some gun shops will do. It's an unfortunate fact of life these days.

This place in Texas works for me for online sales. Send to my FFL at local gun range each time for the simple transfer.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...Send to my FFL at local gun range each time for the simple transfer.
    No. What I was talking about was the procedure whereby you purchase from an in-state FFL and they mail the gun to your house.

It was possible, for decades after the GCA68 was passed, to do this. There was a convoluted ID process and a modified 4473 involved. Almost no one used the procedure and it faded away. I doubt it still exists. Heck, I doubt that any carrier would do the shipping nowadays.

My point was that even back when that procedure was in place and easy to understand, most FFLs would NOT do it. They didn't want to do any transfers that seemed in any way out of the ordinary.

Top Bottom