• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elwaynum1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    College Station, TX
    This is my first post on this forum, so Hello! I've been trying to search around this forum to find the answer to my question, but I have been unsuccessful. The question I have is whether or not it is legal to carry a loaded handgun, concealed of course, in a car in Texas at a public university without a CHL, presuming of course it remains in the car whilst at the university and the car is parked on a campus parking lot/garage.
    Texas SOT

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    There are really two issues here. First is legality, and I am not an attorney, but my understanding is that, so long as you don't carry it into a "building or portion thereof", you are ok with the law. The second issue is university policy. There you might be in trouble, even if legal. The school where I teach would probably expel a student and fire a faculty or staff member for a gun in the car. That is a whole other issue.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Check the policies of the university. If you are a student or employee, there can be adminstrative action.

I'm not a lawyer, nor am I do I understand the law as much as others.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This is my first post on this forum, so Hello! I've been trying to search around this forum to find the answer to my question, but I have been unsuccessful. The question I have is whether or not it is legal to carry a loaded handgun, concealed of course, in a car in Texas at a public university without a CHL, presuming of course it remains in the car whilst at the university and the car is parked on a campus parking lot/garage.

Here ya go;

Texas Panel Code

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

(c) In this section:
    (1) "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035.

Sec. 46.035.

"Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

If you are otherwise in legal possession of the handgun then you can lawfully have it in your car on campus.

Google Texas Penal Code section 46.02 to read the law regarding carrying a handgun.

Since you asked only of it was legal, I'll leave it at that.

Top Bottom