• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    No teacher wants to harm a student. I was on the fence about this, it feels counter to why I am there, to teach young people.

It's stange at first because is a very complex issue for a teacher, one that is different than say law enforcement who would have no connection to the shooter.

Despite the press, school shootings are rare. Also, you seem focused on a current student doing the shooting. Given your small size and how well you know your students and circumstances, it might be more likely that a former delinquent student (who has graduated from theft to murder) or random psycho would be the shooter. In any case, if you care about your students, then take comfort that you are saving their lives should one of the students go rogue.

If you volunteer, are you OBLIGATED to act, or is it entirely your decision as to whether you draw your weapon and engage? Can you choose to defend yourself and not others (e.g., down the hall)? LTC holders have to decide if they want to confront a shooter next door or use the pistol to defend themselves as they escape (i.e., no duty to act).

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Despite the press, school shootings are rare. Also, you seem focused on a current student doing the shooting. Given your small size and how well you know your students and circumstances, it might be more likely that a former delinquent student (who has graduated from theft to murder) or random psycho would be the shooter. In any case, if you care about your students, then take comfort that you are saving their lives should one of the students go rogue.

If you volunteer, are you OBLIGATED to act, or is it entirely your decision as to whether you draw your weapon and engage? Can you choose to defend yourself and not others (e.g., down the hall)? LTC holders have to decide if they want to confront a shooter next door or use the pistol to defend themselves as they escape (i.e., no duty to act).
    <>

’’(IF) you volunteer, are you OBLIGATED to act, or is it entirely your decision as to whether you draw your weapon and engage? Can you choose to defend yourself and not others (e.g., down the hall)? LTC holders have to decide if they want to confront a shooter next door or use the pistol to defend themselves as they escape (i.e., no duty to act).’’

This is a dilemma especially for those who do carry in areas they aren’t supposed to be carrying in.

Sometimes they are regaled as Heroes; but they may be prosecuted, even if they save innocent lives.

leVieux

<>

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Hello, first day on the forum. I have been a teacher for 25 years at a Public High School here in central Texas. Last year we signed on to the Guardian Program at our school. If you have never heard of this program, teachers from our own staff are trained and conceal carry within the school campus. Each campus in the district would have people who have gone through background checks and put through a serious program in order to take on the responsibility of protecting our campus. I write this as a newbie to Texas Gun Talk, to share my experience and to open a discussion. No teacher wants to harm a student. I was on the fence about this, it feels counter to why I am there, to teach young people. But, everytime I would read in the media or hear of a school event, I would feel more insecure about my safety as a teacher. I considered quiting teaching because of this issue. On my campus, we don't know who these individuals are participating in this program. I know one person, because we started together 25 years ago. She is awesome, and I feel safe with her carrying. It's stange at first because is a very complex issue for a teacher, one that is different than say law enforcement who would have no connection to the shooter. We are a small school ( 3A) and most of us know our students and it would be very difficult to have to carry out this responsibility. Knowing our students is important. Knowing what student may have a grievance or has been exposed to say bullying for example. I didn't want to get in to all that, just wanted to say the teachers all know each other and we are there to do the job of educating the young people of Texas. My co-workers are my friends and we share a mutual respect for the profession and each other. I now feel, who else to protect each other? We are not a school district out 50 miles from a local police station (say some schools in west Texas) , that had always been the example given to arm teachers. Describing a dire situation where there is no help, no one coming, no calvary. We are five miles from the local police station, and on doubt they could be there in minutes. Every year, we have lock down drills and we all pray, give us 3-5 minutes, and the police will be here arm and ready. We also go through "Stop the Bleed" training "CPR" and what is now called "Run, Hide, Fight". All that for that 3-5 minutes of a unknown and panic situation. The trainings are good and very important, but knowing we have 6 armed teachers in our building, gives me the most comfort. Part of the program is the posting of signs in all entries of the campus, the signs state that there are armed trained individuals on the premises. I see one of these signs everyday I go to work, when I drive on to campus. The sign is a reminder that we have been given the choice to protect the students, the staff, and any parents or visitors to our school. I want to give special thanks to all teachers anywhere who have stepped up and taken on this responsibility in their schools.
    The three keys to proficiency - practice, practice, and more practice. One drill for example to learn and practice is the Tueller drill, that is, engaging someone coming at you with a knife while you draw and engage with your pistol.

Top Bottom