• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • emott1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2024
    McDade, Tx
    Hello, first day on the forum. I have been a teacher for 25 years at a Public High School here in central Texas. Last year we signed on to the Guardian Program at our school. If you have never heard of this program, teachers from our own staff are trained and conceal carry within the school campus. Each campus in the district would have people who have gone through background checks and put through a serious program in order to take on the responsibility of protecting our campus. I write this as a newbie to Texas Gun Talk, to share my experience and to open a discussion. No teacher wants to harm a student. I was on the fence about this, it feels counter to why I am there, to teach young people. But, everytime I would read in the media or hear of a school event, I would feel more insecure about my safety as a teacher. I considered quiting teaching because of this issue. On my campus, we don't know who these individuals are participating in this program. I know one person, because we started together 25 years ago. She is awesome, and I feel safe with her carrying. It's stange at first because is a very complex issue for a teacher, one that is different than say law enforcement who would have no connection to the shooter. We are a small school ( 3A) and most of us know our students and it would be very difficult to have to carry out this responsibility. Knowing our students is important. Knowing what student may have a grievance or has been exposed to say bullying for example. I didn't want to get in to all that, just wanted to say the teachers all know each other and we are there to do the job of educating the young people of Texas. My co-workers are my friends and we share a mutual respect for the profession and each other. I now feel, who else to protect each other? We are not a school district out 50 miles from a local police station (say some schools in west Texas) , that had always been the example given to arm teachers. Describing a dire situation where there is no help, no one coming, no calvary. We are five miles from the local police station, and on doubt they could be there in minutes. Every year, we have lock down drills and we all pray, give us 3-5 minutes, and the police will be here arm and ready. We also go through "Stop the Bleed" training "CPR" and what is now called "Run, Hide, Fight". All that for that 3-5 minutes of a unknown and panic situation. The trainings are good and very important, but knowing we have 6 armed teachers in our building, gives me the most comfort. Part of the program is the posting of signs in all entries of the campus, the signs state that there are armed trained individuals on the premises. I see one of these signs everyday I go to work, when I drive on to campus. The sign is a reminder that we have been given the choice to protect the students, the staff, and any parents or visitors to our school. I want to give special thanks to all teachers anywhere who have stepped up and taken on this responsibility in their schools.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Hello, first day on the forum. I have been a teacher for 25 years at a Public High School here in central Texas. Last year we signed on to the Guardian Program at our school. If you have never heard of this program, teachers from our own staff are trained and conceal carry within the school campus. Each campus in the district would have people who have gone through background checks and put through a serious program in order to take on the responsibility of protecting our campus. I write this as a newbie to Texas Gun Talk, to share my experience and to open a discussion. No teacher wants to harm a student. I was on the fence about this, it feels counter to why I am there, to teach young people. But, everytime I would read in the media or hear of a school event, I would feel more insecure about my safety as a teacher. I considered quiting teaching because of this issue. On my campus, we don't know who these individuals are participating in this program. I know one person, because we started together 25 years ago. She is awesome, and I feel safe with her carrying. It's stange at first because is a very complex issue for a teacher, one that is different than say law enforcement who would have no connection to the shooter. We are a small school ( 3A) and most of us know our students and it would be very difficult to have to carry out this responsibility. Knowing our students is important. Knowing what student may have a grievance or has been exposed to say bullying for example. I didn't want to get in to all that, just wanted to say the teachers all know each other and we are there to do the job of educating the young people of Texas. My co-workers are my friends and we share a mutual respect for the profession and each other. I now feel, who else to protect each other? We are not a school district out 50 miles from a local police station (say some schools in west Texas) , that had always been the example given to arm teachers. Describing a dire situation where there is no help, no one coming, no calvary. We are five miles from the local police station, and on doubt they could be there in minutes. Every year, we have lock down drills and we all pray, give us 3-5 minutes, and the police will be here arm and ready. We also go through "Stop the Bleed" training "CPR" and what is now called "Run, Hide, Fight". All that for that 3-5 minutes of a unknown and panic situation. The trainings are good and very important, but knowing we have 6 armed teachers in our building, gives me the most comfort. Part of the program is the posting of signs in all entries of the campus, the signs state that there are armed trained individuals on the premises. I see one of these signs everyday I go to work, when I drive on to campus. The sign is a reminder that we have been given the choice to protect the students, the staff, and any parents or visitors to our school. I want to give special thanks to all teachers anywhere who have stepped up and taken on this responsibility in their schools.

Responding to the bold sentences above in your quote:

1. Welcome to the forum

2. It really isn’t that complex if you break it down to basics…someone is trying to kill innocent people, and you have a means to stop them and save lives…pretty basic if you think about it.

3. As seen in Uvalde, police in the parking lot doesn’t mean the shooting stops.

4. Choosing to be a protector over a victim is admirable. Choosing to become a student of the art is even better. Choose wisely.

Godspeed emott1

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Responding to the bold sentences above in your quote:

1. Welcome to the forum

2. It really isn’t that complex if you break it down to basics…someone is trying to kill innocent people, and you have a means to stop them and save lives…pretty basic if you think about it.

3. As seen in Uvalde, police in the parking lot doesn’t mean the shooting stops.

4. Choosing to be a protector over a victim is admirable. Choosing to become a student of the art is even better. Choose wisely.

Godspeed emott1
    Good word!

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Welcome to TGT. Thanks for your service to our children.

A gun is not evil of itself, a gun is a tool. You are doing right and good.

In your case, your gun will allow you to better protect your student-charges.

We pray that your armed presence would deter crimes !

leVieux

<>

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpeg
      IMG_0225.jpeg
      83.3 KB · Views: 42

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Howdy and welcome. The likelihood of anyone having to employ deadly force is minuscule, even for military and law enforcement.

I would encourage two things. Mindset: we don’t shoot students, we engage threats to save lives. Once a threat emerges, that threat is no longer anything but a threat, whether a student, former student, faculty, staff, priest, or some rando off the street.

Second, it appears you have volunteered for a program that provides training, but you need to understand if that training keeps you proficient in ALL the life saving skills you may be called upon to use. I would encourage you to not just be trained, instead be proficient in relevant, realistic scenarios, whether it’s an innocent playground injury, a hallway fight, or a life threat.

Last edited:

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

I also work for a 3A school district. I think the School Guardian program is a good start, but it doesn't go far enough to protect students and staff. In my district, the Superintendent and Board have only allowed a few Guardians per campus...far too few for an actual emergency. And many who have volunteered for the program have gotten the cold shoulder. It's basically worked out into a "shall-issue" program for those in the Superintendent's buddy system. While I think the SG program is good for setting up response teams to deal with threats, staff with LTCs should be allowed to carry on campus in order to protect the students in their assigned areas (classroom, cafeteria, gym, etc.) Only then will there be enough of a deterrent to make a difference.

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    Good job. We also have a school guardian program in our school dist. As a result, and because school district employee's salaries suck, we allow members of the program to join our range for free so they can practice as much as possible. All a school guardian has to do is let me know who they are, and I sign them up with no mention of the program. No one needs to know. So, if you are an area school guardian reading (surrounding towns too) this, contact me and you will have a free membership at the Llano Gun Club shooting range.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Trust me, cops dont like shooting folks.

Mindset in a critical incident needs to be:

"that person is a deadly threat to those I am here to teach and protect. I am going to stop the threat to those I care about by killing him"

Cops get a lot of practice doing things most dont do often or ever. I've punched people, hit them with metal sticks, peppersprayed folks, hancuffed naked guys... we understand how to cut away the "fluff" from a situation and evaluate the boiled down facts. If someone you taught, takes a gun out of a backpack and aims at another student in your class, that person is no longer your student, he chose to stop being a student and you need to act to preserve your student's lives. Deal with the aftermath AFTER you make the right decision. It will suck, but it can be dealt with and the rest of your students will be alive and you will be a hero.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    No teacher wants to harm a student. Of course not.
    Years ago I was providing training and walk-thru metal detectors for DISD.
    1) many staff/teachers weren't interested, didn't think they worked, too much trouble.
    2) teachers were too friendly with students One was killed letting friend student bypass the detectors. Saw too many 'pet' kids with 'perks'.
    3) the DISD 'bat cave' police were NOT armed. Couldn't convince the 'boss' they they needed to be armed. Times change and now they are armed.
    4) I was on the phone trying to contact the assist princ. of son's HS when a momma shot at him (22lr) for suspending her son for a bad haircut. Unarmed staff tackled her before she did any damage.
    5) many Orgs are making sure there are armed persons at gatherings to PREVENT or STOP shootings. It works.
    6) Gun-free zones have ONE purpose. To be able to prosecute illegal action. Doesn't PREVENT anything!
    Forget the movie but guys try armed bank robbery in small Tx town and are met with a lot of gunfire. Laughable but probably close to actual.

Top Bottom