• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    You talkin new or used? They are very good vehicles when they are running, just a tad pricey for my taste. Only thing I never liked about LR was the "sealed" engine. Bud of mine's uncle sent him a LR to sell in the DC area...lots of yuppies so he figured it would sell faster there than SE Virginia. Came to find out his uncle did all the maintenence himself. He was a very frugal guy and saved himself a bundle.....BUT...it cost him nearly $35k in resale. He should have gotten $50-55k for that LR and instead, the best he could do was $17k....simply because he changed the oil and filters himself. That is my onlyest experience with them.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    You talkin new or used? They are very good vehicles when they are running, just a tad pricey for my taste. Only thing I never liked about LR was the "sealed" engine. Bud of mine's uncle sent him a LR to sell in the DC area...lots of yuppies so he figured it would sell faster there than SE Virginia. Came to find out his uncle did all the maintenence himself. He was a very frugal guy and saved himself a bundle.....BUT...it cost him nearly $35k in resale. He should have gotten $50-55k for that LR and instead, the best he could do was $17k....simply because he changed the oil and filters himself. That is my onlyest experience with them.
    A used RANGE Rover might fetch 55k. A used Land Rover not so much. Big difference in vehcile and in price.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I drove the older version in Bosnia back in the late 90s, it was nice but a bit too top heavy for the short wheelbase. Felt too "tippy" for my tastes. Plus, parts are not easily found nor are they cheap. I like 'em, but I just don't see owning one when there is a better alternative; which is the Jeep Wrangler. At least you can fix anything you break on it (at least I can, and I am far from being anything but a backyard mechanic). I think the Jeep has better offroad capabilities whereas the Land Rover is better set up for the road. Still, I drive my 05 LJ to work on a regular basis and it's not that bad, you just can't go the usual speed of most people on SA roads...

If I were to pick up an old Land Rover, I'd get something like this ex-British Army 1975 Series III 109 LWB...

P8210013.jpg

I work with a guy who is restoring one. Well, at least that's what he's been saying for the last two years. Unfortunately, once again the parts are hard to find and expensive, but at least it's a diesel so once it does get running it will be pretty cool!

Cheers! M2

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The Discovery is more comfy and quieter than a Jeep....Since 95% of my time is on road, I would prefer the comfort factor. I have seen those tracks they set up at the Rover dealerships and they can tilt WAY over without tipping.
    Reliability is the big downside from what I can see.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I wouldn't always trust a dealer display either. Sitting still at a steep angle is much different than actually driving to and through. My friend has mixed emotions on his. Cost of maintenance being his main, although everything was dealer done. He loved it when running good though.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    In college I worked part time as a tow driver in a pretty upscale area of NY, towed a ton of them for mechanical issues. Hav'nt seen many here though

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    Yes, it was a Range Rover...a near new one at that. Still is made by LR and all LR's that I have seen or heard of have the sealed engine. Dealer maint. and repair or nothing...if you want to keep the value. The engine stuff was my point, not which model. If you don't do things their way, the value plummets like a boulder off a cliff.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The Discovery is more comfy and quieter than a Jeep....Since 95% of my time is on road, I would prefer the comfort factor.

Wranglers aren't that bad on the road, and 95% of my driving is on-road as well. Right now my brake discs are a little warped, so I get a little wobble in the steering wheel when I brake; but otherwise it drives just fine.

The upside is that not only are there millions of them out there, but a huge community that can help you with every single problem imaginable. I had my shift linkage coupling go out, and ten minutes later I had it fixed again thanks to an online Jeep forum. Parts are plentiful, and most salvage yards have a few on their lots. Plus, they are caveman simple in most regards, there's nothing I wouldn't try repairing myself given how easy and straightforward everything is. Plus, since I have the Unlimited, I have ample storage space behind the rear seat and even more if I remove it. It also has better road manners due to the longer wheelbase, and more soundproofing than a standard Wrangler so it's a bit quieter on the road as long as you have the top and doors on. If they're not (something a Land Rover can't do! ), it's a lot more fun but trying to hold a normal conversation over 45 MPH takes some yelling!

About the only downside is mileage, I get 15 MPG with my automatic and 31" MT tires and a 2¼" budget lift. Any bigger than that and it really starts to take a bite out of the mileage. But I checked a 2003 Discovery and it's only rated 11 city, 14 highway and 12 combined and that's in stock form; so you're actually worse than a stock Jeep (a 2003 TJ with an auto is rated at 16/17/18 respectively).

I have seen those tracks they set up at the Rover dealerships and they can tilt WAY over without tipping.
    Any 'Trail Rated' Jeep can easily run those courses they have set up at the dealership. Of course, they won't let us because they don't us showing them up at half the cost or less!

Reliability is the big downside from what I can see.
    Yeah, Land Rovers don't have a good reputation for being reliable. That, along with the complexity to repair them and the cost and scarcity of parts would be enough to scare me off them!

When we meet at Alex's later this month I'll have the Jeep, so unless you're in a rush to buy something before then you can at least take a look and maybe test drive it if you're interested...

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Oh, and I'm sorry, but a Land Rover can never be cooler than this!

TrimmedFlares7Small.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

And after doing a little muddin' out at Camp Bullis...

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom