• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I found a project that I took home today. This is a S&W 520 n-frame .357 mag. If history serves S&W did this project for the NYSP . They opted for the model 28 due to the wait time for the 520. The NY fish and game took delivery of some of the 520's and the rest were sold to the public. 3000 is the number I have found that were made. I plan on contacting S&W and getting a historical letter to go along with the project.

As you can see from the attached pictures someone didn't take good care of this jewel. This has always irked me in how some take care of firearms or lack there of . It will have to be refinished and it needs some internal tlc. I have always loved the old service sighted pencil barrel S&W's. It will be sent to a buddy of mine that does outstanding work with S&W revolvers. View attachment 333908 View attachment 333909
    Our ranch rifles were tools and got used! They are still around , most have dings scratches and little blueing. My 1929 hand me down 22 has a broken stock repair from when I fell off the caprock on the Canadian River when I was 11 years old, it is my grand girls rifle now. **** a bunch of pristine, I take care of my guns but I by God use them....all safe queens are for sale;)

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Congrats on finding a 520, they are seldom seen for sale or trade. It looks to me like a good revolver to use and not worry about. What kind of internal repair does it need? N frame parts are still plentiful and revolvers are not that hard to work on.

If you have it refinished, it will not increase the value of the gun. It will be a refinished revolver. If you want to refinish it just because you want a nice looking gun, go for it. Ford's Refinishing does some amazing work.
    Talking Nelson Ford? He's a crazy coot,well coot now days but the best S&W Smith around. A good 1911smith too. I traded him one of the first Mauser imported in the Phoenix area for some work on my all time favorite 1911s. A Springfield wide body. This was early 90s I think. Helped the long Mauser with the big bayonet sitting in his shop. I bought like 4 of them at a ridiculous price. I enjoyed talking to him. Lots of knowledge.

I'm sure he doesn't remember me from a hemorrhoids but as a 20 something who loved guns I soaked up the time in there.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Talking Nelson Ford? He's a crazy coot,well coot now days but the best S&W Smith around. A good 1911smith too. I traded him one of the first Mauser imported in the Phoenix area for some work on my all time favorite 1911s. A Springfield wide body. This was early 90s I think. Helped the long Mauser with the big bayonet sitting in his shop. I bought like 4 of them at a ridiculous price. I enjoyed talking to him. Lots of knowledge.

I'm sure he doesn't remember me from a hemorrhoids but as a 20 something who loved guns I soaked up the time in there.
    Ford's Gun Refinishing is the place that I was referring to.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    All those guys are backed up 8 months to a year plus. There is a local guy that blues and cerakote 's that I have seen his work and it is good. He is a perfectionist and not backed up over a year. Also it means I won't have to ship her off again and take the chance of a carrier loosing something that might not be replaceable anymore. Here is to hoping she turns out well.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    The guy got around to bluing the old n-frame but before I knew what was up the store owner said no and sent it back. He didn't prep it as well as was needed. So still waiting. Glad I am not in a hurry.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The guy got around to bluing the old n-frame but before I knew what was up the store owner said no and sent it back. He didn't prep it as well as was needed. So still waiting. Glad I am not in a hurry.
    WTF? Hope you can get it done fairly quickly. Did he give a reason?

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I decided not to cut the notch for the insert instead I will paint it with a orange paint marker. After this week I am staying at home but should get some range time with this one and the 19-5 next week. She turned out better than I imagined. I will get her out in the sun for better pictures when it's range time. The blob is oil, should have polished before pictures.
    20240323_104908.jpg
    20240323_104857.jpg

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I decided not to cut the notch for the insert instead I will paint it with a orange paint marker. After this week I am staying at home but should get some range time with this one and the 19-5 next week. She turned out better than I imagined. I will get her out in the sun for better pictures when it's range time. The blob is oil, should have polished before pictures. View attachment 442386 View attachment 442387
    Took her out with the others yesterday and she did very well. Shot all reloads out to 25 and 30 yards , everything you would expect from a old school S&W. Definitely a keeper. Even my friend commented on how beautiful she looked in the sun. The blue job went very well not pitting to be found. Does my heart good to be apart of bringing a rare revolver back to life.

Top Bottom