• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Starting another project 10/22 FA PDS.. Filed appropriate paperwork with the BATFE for permission and should have it back in a few days....

I will not be showing "how" to do this, but just progress pics as I complete the project. The info is out there for those interested enough to find it. TGT doesn't need unwarranted scrutiny....

20230814_201741[1].jpg

20230814_201804(0)[1].jpg

20230814_201814.jpg

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Disclaimer: 07/02 Licensee with Form 2 approval. The receiver has been appropriately engraved.

Even though I have the parts and the manual for a closed bolt select fire version, I am trying an open bolt version first. Simplicity and coolness of an open bolt both factor into my decision.

I fashioned a FCG that utilizes the stock ejector and maintains the original safety that is still operable. All it has to do is Hold the bolt open and release it when the trigger is pulled and catch the bolt when the trigger is released. You may notice a Glock spring in the pic. The fixed firing pin position on the bolt face will have to be positioned as to not interfere with loading a cartridge into battery and the rim sliding under the extractor.

20230819_212335.jpg

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Having feeding issues....when I get it to fire, it doesn't feed, when I get it to feed, it doesn't fire. Ordered some 3/8 tungsten rod and will drill the bolt and put some rod into it to increase the mass of the bolt. Thinking 2-3 oz may be necessary...

Decided to go ahead and work on the selective fire lower fire control group while simultaneously working on the open bolt version. Definitely helps having a few spare lowers and bolts laying around...

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When I was pretty young & had bought my Ruger MKII pistol I thought that would make for a very cool open bolt gun. Even funnier my copy of Small Arms Of The World I was trying to figure out how to convert my H&K 91.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Can you explain for us neophytes what an open vs closed bolt means?

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Simple. non technical explanation.............

Sub guns like the Sten, Sterling, M3's, MAC10's fire from an open bolt. The bolt is held in the rearward position. The bolt has a fixed firing pin and when the bolt slams home the gun fires. It is a very simple and inexpensive way to design a machine gun. Open bolt guns were banned I believe in 1986 along with the last amnesty. There were some open bolt semi automatic guns (very few) on the market and those were grandfathered in.

All current (since 1986) semi auto guns fire from a closed bolt.

An open bolt pre-ban semi auto MAC 11 can bring 3-4K where a pre ban closed bolt semi is less than 1K..

They can be easily be converted to FA........and unless specifically grandfathered...are considered machine guns...

Guns like the 10/22 are not easily or readily converted to FA..... Design characteristics make it very difficult (Bill Ruger knew what he was doing, imho)...........

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    More then a few heavy belt fed machine guns (M240 comes to mind) fires from an open bolt to help cool the barrel. IIRC there are a few machine guns that fires from both open & closed. I can't think right now as the dog woke me up wanting out.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Disclaimer: IT IS ILLEGAL TO MAKE A MACHINE GUN WITHOUT THE PROPER LICENSING AND REGISTRATION AS REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW. THIS FIREARM HAS BEEN PROPERLY REGISTERED WITH THE BATFE.

Unedited video, Ruger standard 10 round rotary magazine, Remington Golden Bullet .22LR ammo. I am not a videographer so please excuse the video quality and being unedited. Only 10 rounds fired. Interestingly, I am not using an extractor on the bolt.

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Wow!
    Disclaimer: IT IS ILLEGAL TO MAKE A MACHINE GUN WITHOUT THE PROPER LICENSING AND REGISTRATION AS REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW. THIS FIREARM HAS BEEN PROPERLY REGISTERED WITH THE BATFE.

Unedited video, Ruger standard 10 round rotary magazine, Remington Golden Bullet .22LR ammo. I am not a videographer so please excuse the video quality and being unedited. Only 10 rounds fired. Interestingly, I am not using an extractor on the bolt.

Top Bottom