• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    I'm considering getting into progressive reloading, as I currently load on a RCBS Rockchucker for 9mm, .223, and 6.5 Creedmoor. For 6.5, it's fine because I'm more concerned with high precision there. For 9mm (and future pistol) and .223 (plinking) it's quite slow and actually a bit tiring for larger batches.

I do use Hornady dies at the moment and also the LnL bushings on my RC. So, the LnL AP seems like a good fit for that system, and less costly for multiple calibers in general (no conversion kits).

Now, Dillon obviously has a good reputation, so the 550C seems like a good option in the same price range as the AP. The main difference I see is the 550C does not auto-index, conversion kits + toolheads can be pricey, and it's only 4 stations vs. the AP having 5.

Do you think the Dillon is worth the eventual additional cost, in terms of overall quality of ammo and ease of use, etc.? I'm also curious if anyone is able to get good match/hunting-quality ammo with one of these progressives. If I can load 6.5 with similar quality (concentricity, runout) as the RC, then that's a huge plus as well.
    Texas SOT

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I don’t understand the point of manually indexing a progressive press, especially for making large volumes of range ammo.

The only thing I’ve heard that seems plausible is the length of stroke needed for auto indexing limits cartridge lengths that can be accommodated in the shell plate.

I’d more likely guess it’s price-point related since you get most of a 650/750 cheaper.

If super high volume is your game, then 750 is what I’d recommend, but it’ll add a couple bills to the price. That also opens the door to automation though.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I currently load on a few older RCBS single stage presses. All of them were gotten free, or for very little money. But I have given some thought to getting at least a turret style press ot speed up loading pistol ammo, and possibly even to expand into loading 223 ammo.

These are the two presses I have been giving heavy consideration to.

https://leeprecision.com/4-hole-turret-press-with-auto-index.html

https://leeprecision.com/4-hole-classic-turret-press.html

And input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    Well, I can see the manual index as a nice feature if you're not going for volume alone. Clearly that would be less ideal if you're just going for straight rounds/hr, but I'm not in this case. Progressive presses with manual indexing allow for you to still use it as a single-stage if you'd like for more precise operations, such as using an electronic powder dispenser for rifle ammo, etc. It's still a progressive, since multiple rounds are still being constructed simultaneously. I see it as a step up above a turret press, and one below an auto-progressive. Seems like a good compromise, which is partly why I have some interest in the 550C.

@Axxe55 The Lee Classic Turret Press (the second link you provided) is a great option as well, for a somewhat hybrid experience that is below progressive in terms of speed, while having the ability to auto-index. It's also the only press I know about that you can actually both auto and manual index with the use of the indexing rod that it uses. It's pretty solid construction, and considerably cheaper if you don't want to go full progressive just yet. Now, I will say that I have often seen people saying they went Single -> Turret -> Progressive and wished they just went Single -> Progressive, but that all depends on preference and your reloading goals.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well, I can see the manual index as a nice feature if you're not going for volume alone. Clearly that would be less ideal if you're just going for straight rounds/hr, but I'm not in this case. Progressive presses with manual indexing allow for you to still use it as a single-stage if you'd like for more precise operations, such as using an electronic powder dispenser for rifle ammo, etc. It's still a progressive, since multiple rounds are still being constructed simultaneously. I see it as a step up above a turret press, and one below an auto-progressive. Seems like a good compromise, which is partly why I have some interest in the 550C.

@Axxe55 The Lee Classic Turret Press (the second link you provided) is a great option as well, for a somewhat hybrid experience that is below progressive in terms of speed, while having the ability to auto-index. It's also the only press I know about that you can actually both auto and manual index with the use of the indexing rod that it uses. It's pretty solid construction, and considerably cheaper if you don't want to go full progressive just yet. Now, I will say that I have often seen people saying they went Single -> Turret -> Progressive and wished they just went Single -> Progressive, but that all depends on preference and your reloading goals.

That was a lot of my thought process, too.

You can put some volume thru the 550 in short order; it’s not that intensive to thumb the shell plate holder while your picking up the bullet. Gives you a second to visually check the powder throw, too....a double charge is real obvious.

Realistically, I see the breakpoint for the 750 being about 1500 rounds/week in production.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I don’t understand the point of manually indexing a progressive press, especially for making large volumes of range ammo.

I understand manual indexing. It allows me time to eyeball everything before moving on. I started years ago with a Star with auto-index and case feed. It took a while to get used to all of the activity. Once dialed in, it and me, if my wife loaded primer tubes and cases in the feeder 600 rounds an hour was doable. But it took time to get to that point. Fast forward abt 30 years to the Hornady LNL. It wasn't a Star but had many other things going for it. Once dialed in it did OK, but it took time to get there. Then I got a Dillon 550. Once I got it dialed in it works fine. It didn't take as long to get it running right because the non-auto index made me slow down and pay attention to everything. It takes time to learn the feel and sounds of a loader when it's running right. Once I got that the auto-index wasn't needed. My hands learned the steps and it became almost automatic. Approaching the top of the stroke the left hand has already picked up a bullet while the head was going down, it places the bullet on the case under the power drop and indexes it. The right hand has meanwhile picked up a case and feeds it and then moves to the handle. Downstroke and on the way back up start over. After a bit the hands do their thing and the eyes check primer feed level and powder in the case. Any glitches and you can stop right there with no worries about half indexing or having to figure out how to back up. Is it as fast as a 750 with a case feed and auto-index, nope. But it's around 3-350/hr for me currently but I have to fill my own primer tubes. It will get faster with more practice but I'm just not in a hurry. It's a much more relaxed speed with less activity to keep up with. I'll probably add a case feeder later on.

I sold the LNL to my SIL BTW.

My 2 cents.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Rath, appreciate the input on the turret press. I don't think at this late in life that I will be needing to load ammo as to what a progressive is capable of! Just would like a little easier and maybe a little faster than a single-stage press can do.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I would suggest the 550 and I own an LNL. You will get better support from Dillon.

Sped reding the above I saw Lee mentioned. I used/still have a Lee turret(the tin one)and it was great; you could disable the auto advance or not. If you got this route don't cheap out, get the heavy turret press.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas

The flick of a thumb, half a second, is the difference between the manual advance vs the auto advance. The real answer to speed is case and bullet feeders, you can add them to either press. To me the advantage of the 650/750 is 5 stations, a powder check can be used. (I have the 550 B and don't plan to change). I don't shoot enough to warrant case and bullet feeders. A 550 with 5 stations would be great.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    I understand manual indexing. It allows me time to eyeball everything before moving on. I started years ago with a Star with auto-index and case feed. It took a while to get used to all of the activity. Once dialed in, it and me, if my wife loaded primer tubes and cases in the feeder 600 rounds an hour was doable. But it took time to get to that point. Fast forward abt 30 years to the Hornady LNL. It wasn't a Star but had many other things going for it. Once dialed in it did OK, but it took time to get there. Then I got a Dillon 550. Once I got it dialed in it works fine. It didn't take as long to get it running right because the non-auto index made me slow down and pay attention to everything. It takes time to learn the feel and sounds of a loader when it's running right. Once I got that the auto-index wasn't needed. My hands learned the steps and it became almost automatic. Approaching the top of the stroke the left hand has already picked up a bullet while the head was going down, it places the bullet on the case under the power drop and indexes it. The right hand has meanwhile picked up a case and feeds it and then moves to the handle. Downstroke and on the way back up start over. After a bit the hands do their thing and the eyes check primer feed level and powder in the case. Any glitches and you can stop right there with no worries about half indexing or having to figure out how to back up. Is it as fast as a 750 with a case feed and auto-index, nope. But it's around 3-350/hr for me currently but I have to fill my own primer tubes. It will get faster with more practice but I'm just not in a hurry. It's a much more relaxed speed with less activity to keep up with. I'll probably add a case feeder later on.

I sold the LNL to my SIL BTW.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the feedback, nice to know that you owned both. Yeah I agree, muscle memory is real and I do see the manual index as somewhat of a feature if you want more control/quality assurance and flexibility.

I am still leaning towards the AP though because it seems to fit my current setup the best, and it's quite a bit more reasonable in terms of cost with multiple calibers. I also don't have tons of room to store multiple toolheads and powder measures, so I like the idea of putting my dies back in their boxes when I'm done.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    Rath, appreciate the input on the turret press. I don't think at this late in life that I will be needing to load ammo as to what a progressive is capable of! Just would like a little easier and maybe a little faster than a single-stage press can do.

You bet! I definitely hear ya, then it sounds like a good fit for you. It's definitely an innovative design.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    The flick of a thumb, half a second, is the difference between the manual advance vs the auto advance. The real answer to speed is case and bullet feeders, you can add them to either press. To me the advantage of the 650/750 is 5 stations, a powder check can be used. (I have the 550 B and don't plan to change). I don't shoot enough to warrant case and bullet feeders. A 550 with 5 stations would be great.

Agreed, the auto-advance isn't my biggest concern and the case/bullet feeders definitely are more effective for speed. Yeah if it had 5 stations that would be perfect. That's another reason I'm leaning towards the AP, that I can use a powder cop with both pistol and rifle.

I guess the only thing that will largely sway me one way or another is if either one has a higher ability to produce quality ammo, especially for rifle. If they're both consistent once set up, then that's great.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    I would suggest the 550 and I own an LNL. You will get better support from Dillon.

Sped reding the above I saw Lee mentioned. I used/still have a Lee turret(the tin one)and it was great; you could disable the auto advance or not. If you got this route don't cheap out, get the heavy turret press.

What other reasons would you recommend the 550, besides customer support?

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    If you ever might ever consider wanting a case and/or bullet feeder then you’ll need to get the 650/750.

I will say Hornady has cleaned up their act as far as warranteeing parts and shipping them quick.

I guess with so many people at home folks are loading more and expecting more.
    I was ready for a fight to get my parts and had begun to look at Dillon presses when I got the email my parts were shipping the next day!

Rocky Carey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2017
    Lubbock
    I have a 550 and 650. Both great presses if you want to turn hi volume 650 hands down to all others in its class. I love 550 it is 100% dependable makes great ammo flexible manual index can be a great help when there is a problem with a case or something. But 650 has casefeeder speeds things up quite a bit . I owned a Square Deal great little press for pistol straight wall cases just wanted more flexibility. Still use single stage for precision rifle though 550 is no slouch makes very good ammo never tried 650 on rifle. Precision shooters use both so there you go.
    Hornady LNL had one awhile. It makes good ammo just to finicky always working on it. Had it rebuilt twice and on third big screw up fixed it sold it.
    So I say Dillon both good companies both good support
    Dillon runs and runs

Top Bottom