• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Special Ed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    DISH, TX
    Hi y'all. Happy New Year!

I am going to need some long range precision rifle training in the first part of the year. I poked around the old threads here and found suggestions for Tac Pro and Spartan Tactical. I also saw a recommendation for VX Marksmanship but after looking at their video, it's not what I'm after. My goal is to get into F-Class shooting and a lot of VX's class doesn't seem to be geared toward that end.

Along with Tac Pro and Spartan Tactical, I found Firearms Training Fort Worth has a precision rifle course. FTFW's course is only $225 (assuming I don't have to take NRA Basic Rifle since I'm not new to shooting a rifle). I'm waiting on Tac Pro to respond with pricing but I assume it's going to be more inline with Spartan's cost of $750. Is it safe to assume that you get what you pay for here? There's a $500 difference and I don't mind spending the money if it means I'll get better training.

I'd really appreciate critiques of any of the precision rifle courses offered by the places I've named. Or - if there's a better option within 1-2 hours of me, I'm willing to look at other places (I live in Justin).

In case it matters (don't want to take a class at a place that's gonna give me grief for shooting a "budget rifle"), I've already purchased my gear - it's at Western Tactical in Denton getting put together properly. Now before y'all laugh about it, understand that the basic rifle is what it is because the wife bought it for me for Christmas. I will be moving up after I can prove to her that I'll stick to LR shooting. AND - ya can't be mad when your wife buys you a rifle regardless of what it is :D

I'm running:

Savage Axis lefty .308 w/ 22" varmint contour barrel (replaced the stock 22" sporter barrel with the heavy barrel but will upgrade again later)
    Boyd's laminate stock
    Timney trigger
    Burris XTR II 5-25x50 w/ G2B milrad reticle
    EGW 20 MOA base
    Vortex Precision Matched 34mm rings
    I have a Harris SBRM bipod but also bought Protektor Model front and rear bags and a GI sling

The smith is bedding the action and free floating the barrel so that along with the Axis' inherent accuracy, the little rifle should be a good shooter. Yeah, it's not the quality of a custom but it's for starters and I can always use the, "See, honey, if I had a better rifle, I'd have shot better in the competition," excuse to buy a custom gun later (it'll probably cost me something shiny and expensive in return but I'm ok with that).

Thanks, y'all!
    John
    Texas SOT

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Check out John Chambers with Suarez International. He puts on a few sniper courses a year and he's in the Austin area. I'm teaching a M4 Sniper/DMR course in Jasper TX March 5-6, but that is about the Recce/SPR rifle and not what you posted about.
    Hi y'all. Happy New Year!

I am going to need some long range precision rifle training in the first part of the year. I poked around the old threads here and found suggestions for Tac Pro and Spartan Tactical. I also saw a recommendation for VX Marksmanship but after looking at their video, it's not what I'm after. My goal is to get into F-Class shooting and a lot of VX's class doesn't seem to be geared toward that end.

Along with Tac Pro and Spartan Tactical, I found Firearms Training Fort Worth has a precision rifle course. FTFW's course is only $225 (assuming I don't have to take NRA Basic Rifle since I'm not new to shooting a rifle). I'm waiting on Tac Pro to respond with pricing but I assume it's going to be more inline with Spartan's cost of $750. Is it safe to assume that you get what you pay for here? There's a $500 difference and I don't mind spending the money if it means I'll get better training.

I'd really appreciate critiques of any of the precision rifle courses offered by the places I've named. Or - if there's a better option within 1-2 hours of me, I'm willing to look at other places (I live in Justin).

In case it matters (don't want to take a class at a place that's gonna give me grief for shooting a "budget rifle"), I've already purchased my gear - it's at Western Tactical in Denton getting put together properly. Now before y'all laugh about it, understand that the basic rifle is what it is because the wife bought it for me for Christmas. I will be moving up after I can prove to her that I'll stick to LR shooting. AND - ya can't be mad when your wife buys you a rifle regardless of what it is :D

I'm running:

Savage Axis lefty .308 w/ 22" varmint contour barrel (replaced the stock 22" sporter barrel with the heavy barrel but will upgrade again later)
    Boyd's laminate stock
    Timney trigger
    Burris XTR II 5-25x50 w/ G2B milrad reticle
    EGW 20 MOA base
    Vortex Precision Matched 34mm rings
    I have a Harris SBRM bipod but also bought Protektor Model front and rear bags and a GI sling

The smith is bedding the action and free floating the barrel so that along with the Axis' inherent accuracy, the little rifle should be a good shooter. Yeah, it's not the quality of a custom but it's for starters and I can always use the, "See, honey, if I had a better rifle, I'd have shot better in the competition," excuse to buy a custom gun later (it'll probably cost me something shiny and expensive in return but I'm ok with that).

Thanks, y'all!
    John

Special Ed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    DISH, TX
    Check out John Chambers with Suarez International. He puts on a few sniper courses a year and he's in the Austin area. I'm teaching a M4 Sniper/DMR course in Jasper TX March 5-6, but that is about the Recce/SPR rifle and not what you posted about.

Thank you for the response. I'll check out John's training.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    You can't learn long range precision shooting without burning lots of powder. Before I took a class, I'd shoot that rifle until the barrel fell off, rebarrel and do it all again. When the rifle becomes part of you, I'd tie up with an expert to fine tune everything.

Long range requires wind doping skills and there's only one way to develop that.....stay glued to the firing line and see what happens when you launch a round into the real world.

The next issue to solve is about your ammunition. For me, the 168 Sierra Match Kings (SMK) over IMR 4895 were the answer. Long range is all about the projectile.

Your next logical step is to either find a source for that .308 round or learn to reload them yourself. You'll need lots of them! I purchased the 168gr SMK's by the box of 500 and used up many boxes of them. Others may have rounds that they prefer. Find out what works best for you.

Savage rifles are terrific shooters and I've had great luck with them. Remember though, buying trinkets and technology won't get you to the level of marksmanship that you seek. Trigger time will.

If you're shooting "F" class, you'll either work on your prone shooting skills or develop a first class rifle rest method. That could be a commercial rest or a series of sandbags. Find out what works best for you! If you shoot from a bipod, that's a whole new chapter to learn. Bipod shooting requires shill and practice!

After you get these things resolved to your satisfaction, you're ready for professional instruction!

Flash

Last edited:

Special Ed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    DISH, TX
    Roger, I appreciate what you're saying and I agree there is no substitute for trigger time.

I am interested in taking something like Tac Pro's Primary Precision Rifle course which teaches doping skills, shooting positions, etc because with a completely new discipline there are so many things to learn, it can be daunting if you're left to figure it all out for yourself. Also when left to my own devices to learn something, I tend to develop bad habits. It seems to me that taking professional training after I've developed those bad habits might make the training a bit more difficult. Am I over-thinking this too much?

I plan to learn to reload because mass quantities of match grade .308 aren't cheap.

Thanks for the words of wisdom re: tech and trinkets. Again I agree with your philosophy.

Cheers,
    John

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    I highly recommend the Tac pro precision rifle class. I used to shoot regularly out there until I moved.

Bill is a hell of an instructor, I've only been able to take his primary pistol class, however I used to train for high power rifle out there and he helped us often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Good rifle.
    Upper body conditioning.
    Burn powder.
    Then, when you think you're "good", you'll know what you need.

You'll recognize it quickly.

Special Ed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    DISH, TX
    I highly recommend the Tac pro precision rifle class. I used to shoot regularly out there until I moved.

Bill is a hell of an instructor, I've only been able to take his primary pistol class, however I used to train for high power rifle out there and he helped us often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation. I was hoping someone who took one of Bill's courses would chime in. I saw him on "Conceal and Carry School" last night on Sportsman Channel. He impressed my wife so much she wants to go take one of his classes so we'll get some training from him even if it's not for rifle.

His Precision Rifle courses (Primary and Advanced) are only $499 each and last three days. They're not one on one but that might not matter as it's a longer course. His ammo requirements are 250 rounds so the consumables expense is up there a bit (Precision Rifle Hunters' course is 100 rounds). Yeah, I know I'll have to shoot a lot more than that but I'm looking at the total cost for just a class.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2015
    I recommend Jeff Kranz. He is in Facebook only now.
    20+ years swat instructor; shoots 3-gun and it's the real deal. I know he has a long range course coming and I believe it was 400$ for 2 days.
    If you can't find him I can send you his email.
    I was impressed by his expertise and teaching

Top Bottom