• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I know there is one in Kerrville but I'm sure what the name is or if it's open to the public. I can look in the magazine that I saw the article containing the info tonight if you'd like?

Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, if it's not to much trouble. A little farther than I wanted to go, but I will take a look. I may just end up at Gun Sight or somewhere.

Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I hear ya on the ammo costs. I just looked up how much ammo you need for the three day class and then looked up what that would cost for 300 rounds of match grade .30-06 yikes! Unfortunately my .308 is a semi-auto and not "sniper" accurate.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You could sell the semi auto .308 or set it up for "sniping" or in your case precision shooting for recreational purposes. I'm assuming that's it anyway. If this is for a law enforcement application (as in like being a SWAT marksmen etc..) then I would go to gun site. But I hear that Front sight training academy is great. They are the ones that taught Mark Wallberg (sp?) how to shoot for the movie "SHOOTER". They are in Nevada though.

Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    The .30-06 is a Colt Sauer. I will probably just use that and just say screw it on the ammo. The .308 is a Winchest 100 which I have heard a lot of bad things about. That is probably going to end up on Gun Broker.

I am not a LEO, I just want to be as proficient as possible with all my weapons. I just got done with Brian Hoffern's Tactical Pistol I and am already setting up for Tactical Pistol II. I will probably do my AR CQB and Shotgun lessons through him too.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Although, if you really want to learn some fundamentals on the cheap, befriend a match shooter and go out and practice with him/her. Offer to buy some ammo or equipment and go out and learn. In 2002, a friend of mine decided to take up long range shooting. She came out with me and learned the basics, asked for advice on rifles and optics, and would go out to the range with me every chance she got. Next thing I know, she’s off shooting competitions every month, and she’s damn good too. She’s picked up a lot more than I ever taught her.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    [url]http://www.riflesonly.com/[/URL] Yep that's the one. I hear good things. But I'm also not sure if they're open to the public or if it's a LEO & military only thing. Any way like codygjohnson said you might want to find a friend that's into long range shooting and go out with them a few times and get the fundamentals going threw your head and then take the course somewhere.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    It's slim pickins around Houston, but if you're willing to drive north a little there's TacPro in DFW. IIRC Paul Howe might put on a PR course also, he's in Nacogdoches.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    [url]http://www.riflesonly.com/[/URL] Yep that's the one. I hear good things. But I'm also not sure if they're open to the public or if it's a LEO & military only thing. Any way like codygjohnson said you might want to find a friend that's into long range shooting and go out with them a few times and get the fundamentals going threw your head and then take the course somewhere.

Any suggestions on where to go? I have a friend who is probably a better instructor than you will find at any of those schools but we don't have anywhere to go to shoot beyond 200 yards...

Gray Ghost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Any suggestions on where to go? I have a friend who is probably a better instructor than you will find at any of those schools but we don't have anywhere to go to shoot beyond 200 yards...

There are a couple of places in and around Houston. PSC (a member only range $150 a year plus NRA membership) down in Friendswood has two rifle ranges. One goes up to 200 yards and the other goes up to 300 yards. The 300 yard range actually has a road so during cease fires you can drive to and from the 300 yard target. The second is American Shooter (I really hate this place. The range masters are way over board and 90% of the shooters are inexperienced.).They have a rifle range that goes up to 600 yards last time I checked.

PSC Shooting Club

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I live in Austin, can't really drive to Houston to shoot. The Austin Rifle Club where I am a member does have a 300 yard range, if you are able to show up and shoot between sunrise and 10am on Wednesdays as the entire rest of the range must be shut down for that one 300 yard firing line.

Top Bottom