• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Landrover

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    New York
    Profiling is a skill that most people (including most people who believe they are engaging in it) do inherently, but do badly. This is generally because they use irrelevant criteria to construct profiles- with the result being that their "profile" is more like fodder for gossip.

Profiling criteria need to be both relevant and, more importantly, quantifiable. Profiling tiself does no good unless you can actually state, clearly and comprehensibly, how the profile is relevant. "A bad feeling" is nowhere near as quantifiable as "Subject is behaving in a manner consistent with being under the effects of (insert controlled substances), such as (name effects), and is displaying characteristics indicative of a hostile or combative intent, such as (name characteristics)".

http://tacticalintelligence.net/blog/pre-assaultive-indicators.htm

Pre-Assault Indicators: Good read

Blading; Fist Clenching or Pumping; Trembling; Rapid Shallow Breathing; Avoiding Eye Contact; Posturing; Bobbing and Rocking; Hiding the Face; Focused Attention; Thousand Yard Stare

What do the members recognize as pre-assault indicators?
    Do you profile, practice profiling? How do you profile people?
    Capitol Armory ad

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Good post:

Having been a LEO back in the 60's in a RURAL county in the days of racial profiling, pulling them over for being black..., utter BS!!! I never did, did know any of the Deputies that did, had they done so the Sheriff would have given them the boot. Won't say it did not go on, but NOT in our Sheriffs Dept. My exp was that was more likely to occur with city police especially when working on quotas for traffic stops etc.

That said you nailed it in some of the things we looked for when face to face. When driving, we looked for to slow, wandering between the lines, excessive braking, pedaling (speeding up, then braking repeatedly).

When pulled over notice if they kept them head back in the car, leaning back to the center (keeps the booze breath in the car or so they think), talking while inhaling, then turning the head into the car to exhale.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Distance and let your muscle memory do It's thing. I am in no way a tactical whiz but for self defense and hand to hand I have been doing jui jitsu, boxing and kickboxing for a while. I'm a very friendly and respectful person. Even if someone gets made at me. Though one of the things I do while no one notices is adjust my footwork and eye contact is a bit lower. Like getting a better view of their shoulders. This helps telegraph their movement.

But back to distance. I think it's important to read how a person walks up to you. Is it a menacing walk and look? if it is and that person is going past your kicking distance, It's time to party. But that's hand to hand.

Situational awareness is key for defense by any means. Hand to hand or pistol.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom