• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    The Javelin is a high tech piece of weaponry, 99.9% of the time a one shot tank stopper. Pretty high speed night vision system too.

doubled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    frisco, tx
    dumb a$$ question for you military guys...

had the engine not kicked on after the initial charge to get it out of the tube, or had it been pointing downward and just engaged and drove into the ground, is there an automatic disarming of the warhead so it doesn't detonate where it wasn't supposed to?

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    That's pretty bad ass.

I am pretty ignorant about his type of stuff, but I found the launch method interesting. Like a charge shoots it out, then the engine(s) engage. Is that common? Why not just have engine(s) to start with?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I think its interesting how after so many years of war, the infantry man can field weapons capable of so much damage. You'd think by now, the guy on the ground would have been replaced by a bizillion dollar gizmo. Maybe next century.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That's pretty bad ass.

I am pretty ignorant about his type of stuff, but I found the launch method interesting. Like a charge shoots it out, then the engine(s) engage. Is that common? Why not just have engine(s) to start with?

Because it's attached to a human. Igniting the rocket motor would cause the guidance system to kick back into your face and probably knock you clean out or worse, plus the jet wash off the motor would endanger anyone near it. Better for it to kick out with a small charge and then ignite the engine. Also, look at how small the launch signature is ... you could fire that system covertly compared to if it just lit off.

That thing just completely fucked that tank. Damn!

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    That's pretty bad ass.

What Texas1911 said , the initial charge is used to clear the tube, the secondary sends the missile on its way, the TOW systems operates on the same method, cant be cooking the person launching the weapon. That wouldnt be very effective.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Very common to have a kicker charge to protect the operator. Once the rocket lights the weapon then arms at a safe Time of flight "distance". No Moyer light the rocket drops harmlessly to earth. Well if it hits you it kills you but no boom. The weapon is doing what it's designed to do. And its hitting a T-72. It can kill a T80 main battle tank and maybe an M1. From a civilian standpoint it's devastating but just about anything over a 250lb DIME bomb will reliably kill a tank and I sure as hell don't want to be in a tank when a dime lands on it.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    dumb a$$ question for you military guys...

had the engine not kicked on after the initial charge to get it out of the tube, or had it been pointing downward and just engaged and drove into the ground, is there an automatic disarming of the warhead so it doesn't detonate where it wasn't supposed to?

Just like on any of the other explosive launch systems like the M203 or the AT-4 or many others there is a minimum distance it must fly to arm the explosive charge or it will not detonate.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ahh, T72. The pop top tank!

The Soviets tried to keep the turret as low-profile as possible. It's a great idea on paper, the problem is, where do you store your ammo? Inside the hull. When a T72 gets hit, ammo cook-offs are common.

On another note, I've talked to Cav guys who say the newer 30mm cannon on the M2 is capable of defeating a T72. Not something I'd like to test personally, but IMO the T72 turned out to be kind of a joke.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Ahh, T72. The pop top tank!

The Soviets tried to keep the turret as low-profile as possible. It's a great idea on paper, the problem is, where do you store your ammo? Inside the hull. When a T72 gets hit, ammo cook-offs are common.

On another note, I've talked to Cav guys who say the newer 30mm cannon on the M2 is capable of defeating a T72. Not something I'd like to test personally, but IMO the T72 turned out to be kind of a joke.
    The 25mm bushmaster chaingun is badass, aside from a modern tank, between the chaingun and the 2 TOW2B's it can hold its own.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I think its interesting how after so many years of war, the infantry man can field weapons capable of so much damage. You'd think by now, the guy on the ground would have been replaced by a bizillion dollar gizmo. Maybe next century.

That's why the German Panzerfaust was so influential on the battlefield in WWII, and then we scrambled to field something similar in the Bazooka.

Top Bottom