• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    My thoughts are still a bit raw on this topic but I've decided it's to the point where I'd like to start a discussion.

Posturing is a key survival tool and is ingrained into most everyone's social skills at a very early age yet not often consciously practiced, used or acknowledged.

In a altercation there are two paths that can be taken, submissive or aggressive. Knowing how to show these postures and as important also reading the posturing of your aggressor for keys when they may strike or when they are trying to back down.

If an assailant is a stranger these cues can be faked to a person's advantage. Tactics here where a person is "faking" an unnatural posture aggressive or submissive won't work in a long term relationship.

Time is an enemy to fake posturing. An insecure person faking an aggressive posture won't last long when over time they keep up the farce. We call them dushbags or worse and they make horrible managers.

I'll admit I'm not an expert on the matter and still in the process of verbalizing the issue nor have I collected a comprehensive list of visual cues but here's what I've compiled as general rules.

Aggressive Posturing

• Locking eyes. The staring game is who can make the person more uncomfortable and break eye contact. If contact is broken the aggressive person doesn't look back and visually ignores the dominated person.
    • Appear big. Inflated chest, standing tall and not hunched, arms on hips or elbows pointed to the side.
    • Teeth baring. Humans do this as well. Some folks will mistake this as a smile and sometimes it's "hidden" as a smile.
    • Physical control. A hand on the shoulder, holding on too long and strong handshake or hug.
    • Invading territory by closing in on personal space, leading or backing someone down.
    • Conversation control talking first, responding slowly, surprisingly talking softer rather than louder where the other person needs to listen harder.
    • Breaking social norms. To the aggressor rules don't apply.
    • Controlling with a threat with an object like a gun, knife or baseball bat.

Passive Posturing
    • Staring game the passive person breaks eye contact and looks back.
    • Appear small, arms down to the side.
    • Head movement. more is better but not too much.
    • Mimicry of the aggressor not mockingly.

I know I've not covered everything. Let's start there. We all know folks who can dominate a room, folks who'll always be prey, folks who fake it all the time, folks who can manipulate.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.”― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

“All warfare is based on deception.”― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

“To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill”― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    http://www.spring.org.uk/2011/04/10-psychological-effects-of-nonsexual-touch.php
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob87.html

8-86-12.jpg

Aggressive%20communication%20in%20workplace.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgZllMiPKH2RR_WmoCAWVBbwbZGu89o%20%20NsUm3A2xFypIKoHgTJ3.jpg

maintainspace01.jpg

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I don't think you can always rely on reading a person's posture or demeanor as a sign of passive or aggressive potential. When I was young I saw an altercation between my father and a man who was angry at him for driving too slow. The man followed us into the parking lot of a Denny's and rushed up to confront my father.

He was in an aggressive posture and my dad was in a much more submissive stance... until the man invaded my dad's "safe zone" and in an instant my father exploded, breaking the man's nose and jaw before he knew what hit him.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I don't think you can always rely on reading a person's posture or demeanor as a sign of passive or aggressive potential. When I was young I saw an altercation between my father and a man who was angry at him for driving too slow. The man followed us into the parking lot of a Denny's and rushed up to confront my father.

He was in an aggressive posture and my dad was in a much more submissive stance... until the man invaded my dad's "safe zone" and in an instant my father exploded, breaking the man's nose and jaw before he knew what hit him.

Your dad was using these techniques naturally.

He wanted to appear passive to defuse the situation when in reality he was in control, when that didn't work to defuse the situation he took action and the opponent was surprised.

Exactly what can be learned here.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    There's a lot more subtlety to human posturing. In the animal world, it's pretty cut and dried. In the people world, as the great philosopher Shrek said in his animated feature film, "onions have layers, people have layers."

More important than but directly related to posturing, is the projection of confidence. That is the one thing humans are innately responsive to, well before a confrontation even occurs. This is especially important when a potential bad guy is searching for a victim. Walking around with your head up your butt, shuffling along, staring at your shoes while you walk, etc. projects an air of meekness and weakness. Conversely, walking around with your shoulders square, your head up, a deliberate gate, etc. projects confidence.

One of the most powerful things an individual can do to not become a victim in the first place, is to notice and engage people. As you're walking around, try this simple exercise: Look at every person you cross, in the eye, and say hello. Notice how they respond. Notice if they will tend to occupy your space and cause you to move out of their way, or if they'll make a clear path for you. Notice how they respond.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    There's a lot more subtlety to human posturing. In the animal world, it's pretty cut and dried. In the people world, as the great philosopher Shrek said in his animated feature film, "onions have layers, people have layers."

More important than but directly related to posturing, is the projection of confidence. That is the one thing humans are innately responsive to, well before a confrontation even occurs. This is especially important when a potential bad guy is searching for a victim. Walking around with your head up your butt, shuffling along, staring at your shoes while you walk, etc. projects an air of meekness and weakness. Conversely, walking around with your shoulders square, your head up, a deliberate gate, etc. projects confidence.

One of the most powerful things an individual can do to not become a victim in the first place, is to notice and engage people. As you're walking around, try this simple exercise: Look at every person you cross, in the eye, and say hello. Notice how they respond. Notice if they will tend to occupy your space and cause you to move out of their way, or if they'll make a clear path for you. Notice how they respond.

I play a "game" at times called spot the sheep dog and the wolf. It's amazing when locking eyes with another sheep dog or wolf (aka bad guys) how each takes assessment and then acknowledge each other.

That and spotting folks who are carrying guns keeps me occupied on shopping trips.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I rely less on body language which can easily be manipulated by cowards and poseurs and more on what's in their eyes. The eyes are the not just the window to the soul, but also a window to a person's mindset. When I was young, dumb, and full of come I hung around with a tough crowd and every weekend wasn't complete without a brawl or two. You soon learned all about those who presented bluff charges and those who were willing to throw down and how to recognize which was which.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Eye contact helps also hands are a show of true intent.

To your point note the guy here in the video was lying with his words but he never put the shotgun down and the boy saw though this with eye contact and watching the hands.

Good shoot that many fans and watchers missed and thought the boy had shot an innocent person surrendering when in reality the aggressor never stopped being a threat and never intended to surrender.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

Great story, Not everyone can pull that off. It's hard for most people not to show some sort of emotion when being confronted.

I do the same thing and it amazes me how many people keep their head down or are simply reluctant to just acknowledge me with a "Hello" back.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Great story, Not everyone can pull that off. It's hard for most people not to show some sort of emotion when being confronted.

My father was never an emotional man. I guess it stemmed from his old-school Filipino upbringing. My grandfather was the exact same way. Quiet men with a reserve of control and strength that my brothers and I, quite frankly, lack to the same degree. It was a different time with a different breed...

I miss them both.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I try not to over think the problem.

Psychologists make a living in trying to tell people how to think and act about a problem.

Guy gets in your face with an attitude, stand your ground and prepare for combat. Don't do anything to provoke an attack. Try to deescalate. Walk balk slowly, but keep your eyes on the aggressor.

A rational person might rethink his aggression. A drunk or substance impaired individual might not.

Have your gun ready. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it. If the aggressor continues to threaten you, shout loudly for him to stop or you will defend yourself.

If you have to shoot, just tell the cops you were in fear of your life. Nothing else. Get a lawyer.

None of that is worth a damned if you are drunk after having spent $500 at a titty bar.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Don't forget the third attitude: crazy. I tend to be drawn toward the aggressive attitudes because I am one. The passives get little love or respect from me generally. The third, crazy, just freak me the hell out. Aggressive sometimes, passive other times, and seem to randomly switch between the two. They are best avoided in any situation.

Whether you look passive or aggressive outwardly, people generally know how to deal with that. But sometimes it works well in your favor to just appear bat crap crazy.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Don't forget the third attitude: crazy. I tend to be drawn toward the aggressive attitudes because I am one. The passives get little love or respect from me generally. The third, crazy, just freak me the hell out. Aggressive sometimes, passive other times, and seem to randomly switch between the two. They are best avoided in any situation.

Whether you look passive or aggressive outwardly, people generally know how to deal with that. But sometimes it works well in your favor to just appear bat crap crazy.
    gary-larsen.png

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    When I am faced with confrontation, I prepare for battle by locking eyes with the aggressor as I start removing my pants and other garments.

No one dares to challenge me. I own office meetings.

Top Bottom