• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    MOTORCYCLE TRIPS? Yup, think I can share something............

I made two huge trips on a Honda Gold Wing 1500 6 cylinder. One was 6,000 miles and 23 days. A lady friend wanted to get tickets to fly to her sisters wedding in Oregon. I made a better suggestion and we took off on the Gold Wing. She mailed her dress to her sisters place then we made a grand tour on the way to Oregon.

The 6,000 mile trip left Houston and went the low route across NM and AZ over El Centro Pass into San Diego. We stayed at her Aunt's place, toured San Diego and went to Tijuana. Left San Diego, went up the coast on Hiway 1 then went inland to Sacramento then North to Oregon. It was socked in and rained a LOT! Spent some time in Oregon where I toured the Leatherman Tool Factory in Portland. Then we took off through Idaho, Wyoming to Colorado, NM and back to Houston. We rode for 23 days. I called this trip the "Grand Tour" which is movie talk for an all out nuclear missile attack.

Two years later, The same lady and I headed west, again. This time, we went north through Oklahoma to NM, CO, Utah, Southern Idaho and west to Oregon. Did you know that southern Idaho is a desert? I know it now! It was 110 degrees in the shade! Utah is great except for the strange people. They all look and act like Donnie & Marie Osmond. The scenery is unbelievable.

While in Oregon, we rode of rim of Crater Lake, a 1900 foot deep volcano lake

We left Oregon and went North to Washington, saw the snow capped volcanos went across the Northern panhandle of Idaho, made a 700 mile passage across Montana at 95 MPH (no daytime speed limit at that time) into ND then south to SD. We visited the "Badlands" of SD. Stayed in Sturgis about two days before the big biker rally and went to Mt Rushmore, Deadwood SD and got a flavor of Sturgis. The biggest drugstore in the world is east of Sturgis (Wall's Drug) and we toured the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD.

Went South through Nebraska. We saw why our national song refers to the "Amber waves of grain." The fields look just like ocean waves in the wind! Then we rode south through Kansas, OK and back to Houston. The trip was the "Mas Grande Tour", it took 28 days and 7,824 miles.

We stayed in Motel 6's and hit every Chinese Buffet in the West! Whew! I'm tired just thinking about it!

Flash

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    I'm going to look for some HD heritage classic while im off I've been wanting a bike for a while now. Great stories.

Top Bottom