• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mindseducer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2024
    Houston
    Hello everyone! So I really like the look of a ported slide on a handgun. I was thinking of eventually getting all of my slides ported eventually. My question is will this cause any issues or have any downsides with the gun? Does it depend on what specific gun? And how would I go about doing this? Just find a gunsmith in my area?
    Thanks I’m advance for any answers!
    Target Sports

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Hello everyone! So I really like the look of a ported slide on a handgun. I was thinking of eventually getting all of my slides ported eventually. My question is will this cause any issues or have any downsides with the gun? Does it depend on what specific gun? And how would I go about doing this? Just find a gunsmith in my area?
    Won't make any difference if the barrel isn't ported.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Without a ported barrel it's just a fashion statement. Any good machinist could do the work but I have a feeling it's gonna be over the border on cost after re bluing or matching stainless or cerakote to match the frame not everyone does the latter so that's another trip somewhere.
    If it's a Glock or something popular someone makes ported slides you can just swap out.

mindseducer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2024
    Houston
    Without a ported barrel it's just a fashion statement. Any good machinist could do the work but I have a feeling it's gonna be over the border on cost after re bluing or matching stainless or cerakote to match the frame not everyone does the latter so that's another trip somewhere.
    If it's a Glock or something popular someone makes ported slides you can just swap out.
    Ok thanks for the info. Yea I didn’t even think about just going and replacing the slide. I’ll definitely look into that!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Damn you’re right. So if I get the slide ported, I’ll have to get the barrel ported as well for the “gas” to escape upward? I’m just lacking common sense I guess lol
    Of course, just like buying a ported slide is better, same goes for the barrel.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The best option might be to purchase a ported model handgun

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    A g29c has a top ported slide along with the barrel to match ports/cuts in the slide. The same goes for the 3 m&p's I have. If you get an aftermarket barrel that's longer than the slide, only the barrel will have the ports and the slide won't need to have them. The m&p "pc" models on 10mm and 45acp have the slide that resembles a comp.

The 9mil pc version doesn't have ports in/on the barrel, only the slide has cuts to reduce weight unlike the 10 and 45 versions. In most cases with the use of factory ammo when using a comp, having a ported barrel (extended length) and/or slide cuts you'll need to reduce the recoil spring weight. If using a +p load it might require the use of factory spring when using any of the 3 afore mentioned if not a heavier spring.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have a G22C ported from the factory and it was the main reason I bought it. It brought the recoil of the 40S&W down to 9mm levels.
    That isn't my experience with them. The recoil isn't affected much but there is a marginal reduction in muzzle flip (which could feel like less recoil I suppose).

Bullet weight changes in factory ammo has more affect than being compensated or not.

Adding a longer barrel and a good compensator would be more beneficial.

Most changes are psychological until you get into magnum rounds though.

Top Bottom