• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Was sitting around trying to figure out how to pay for some target steel. Could not afford it, so I came up with this.

By the way, what you are looking at are steel flywheels I got from the junk yard for 7.50 each.

Will see how they hold up this weekend.

Anyone else have any other cheap ideas ?

IMG_0832.jpg
    Texas SOT

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    You sir, are a motivated man.

Naw, just bored. I don't think the paint will hold up, but it will give us something else to shoot at Saturday. By the way, we are on 4 Sat. , at 7:30 am.

Hell, these things are over a 1/2 " thick ! Now, I just have to figure a way to build a stand for them !

Acetone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    Excellent. If I have some time, I'll see if I can come up with a stand. I'm sure I have something laying around.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Excellent. If I have some time, I'll see if I can come up with a stand. I'm sure I have something laying around.

I am just trying to figure a quick, easy way, that won't fall apart. We will see how they hold up first.

If nothing else, I can make some out of some pipe. I AM a PLUMBER, for pete sake !

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Not a bad idea.
    Also boiler plate from a iron scape yard works good and is also very cheap.

Yeah, But you don't see too many laying around. I am a plumber, so....we are kinda like mad scientists. Can usually make anything work !

The junk yard always has some flywheels laying around. Just make sure you get the STEEL ones !

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    If you have any diesel repair shops around see if they have any worn out flywheels. They are twice as thick and even harder than auto flywheels. Most truck shop just toss them on the crape pile and will give them to ya.
    Since they are cupped you can screw a piece of sheet metal over them with a bulls-eye.
    Just thinking out loud here - LOL!!!
    Mack's will have the biggest and Detroit's are usually the smallest, Cummings is in the middle.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    A while back while visiting a friend out in the country he took disking blades painted them orange & we hung them from trees. Even my .45 was knocking holes in them, but it was still fun. And when I went up last I was nailing them with the suppressed Ruger MKII

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    If you have any diesel repair shops around see if they have any worn out flywheels. They are twice as thick and even harder than auto flywheels. Most truck shop just toss them on the crape pile and will give them to ya.
    Since they are cupped you can screw a piece of sheet metal over them with a bulls-eye.
    Just thinking out loud here - LOL!!!
    Mack's will have the biggest and Detroit's are usually the smallest, Cummings is in the middle.

That was actually my first thought. I went to a Semi salvage yard and it was closed down. There was a place right next door......so thats where I ended up. If this works well, I will get a few diesel ones, for contrast !

texet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Good idea on using the flywheels as targets never thought about that.

I just finished researching how to build a poor mans target holder not too long ago and came up with this.
    I kind of went crazy with the purple stuff for some odd reason.

target1
    target2
    target3
    target4

I used this tutorial as my guide.

Along the way I also bookmarked some steel target stand tutorials just in case. The links should give you an idea of how to mount/configure a target stand for your flywheels.

Tut1 Tut2

Hope this helps, good luck and post some pictures of what you come up with for future reference.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I went down to the ship yard where they where scrapping out an old barge. Got a 3'x3' 1 1/2 inch plate. It rings nice and only the 7.62 NATO AP goes through it.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Good idea on using the flywheels as targets never thought about that.

I just finished researching how to build a poor mans target holder not too long ago and came up with this.
    I kind of went crazy with the purple stuff for some odd reason.

target1
    target2
    target3
    target4

I used this tutorial as my guide.

Along the way I also bookmarked some steel target stand tutorials just in case. The links should give you an idea of how to mount/configure a target stand for your flywheels.

Tut1 Tut2

Hope this helps, good luck and post some pictures of what you come up with for future reference.

Yeah, ya kinda did go crazy with the purple stuff ! That "purple stuff" is PVC primer ! LOL But thats okay, it is better than most people, who don't use ANY, even on water lines ! Your stands look great !

Damn "Tut1" stole my idea ! That is pretty much the rig I had built in my head. I think I want one that holds two or three targets, so mine will be bigger. Thanks for posting that. Way cool !

Just came back from the desert after shooting the flywheel. I only brought out the thinnest one. I only shot it with a .9mm, 147gn FMJ, at 10 yards. Barely a mark on it, except for the paint, which I already figured. I am sure it wil hold up to most handgun rounds.

Will post pic's of the target stands, once I figure out exactly what I want to build. Thanks !

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Target stand 1st draft

Had some old scrap copper and threw this together. Took about an hour. It needs work (more support ), but it will work for now. Will probably make one out of 3/4" iron pipe eventually. This one is very light, breaks down easy, and was FREE !

IMG_0835.jpg

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Had some old scrap copper and threw this together. Took about an hour. It needs work (more support ), but it will work for now. Will probably make one out of 3/4" iron pipe eventually. This one is very light, breaks down easy, and was FREE !

IMG_0835.jpg

I bet it scared the crap out of your neighbors when you set that up! :eek:

Top Bottom