• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Saw it. I didn't see the "My skills suck so bad, I wouldn't want to embarrass myself" option though.

Got curious and decided to see how tough/easy it would be so I grabbed my .357 mag and my purse and headed out to the range.

It was pretty easy, but it seems my sights are off to the left and right and high and low.
    Guns International

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If the match happens, come anyway and shoot the team event. Nobody will know if you're missing because everyone will be throwing as much lead as possible, all at the same time. :)

Of course, given the complete lack of response so far, the chances of the match actually happening seem pretty close to zero. I figured there would be several people who would pipe up with "Hey, I haven't shot that BFR in .45-70 since right after I got it. I still have half a box of ammo left. Yeah, I'd love to come and shoot up the rest of it!"

So far, I've been completely wrong about that.

One thing I've learned over the years is that my opinions don't match those of others. What I think might be fun might strike everyone else as a waste of time. Thus, I'm doing the poll before I mock up the first target and start testing. If the poll continues to get no response, that's fine. I can take this idea and permanently clear it out of my head, making room for other stuff. That would be a good thing.

FWIW, I think it would be a blast. Just don't have the gun and most likely wouldn't be able to make the trip.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I ain't got the gun. Nor the inclination to get one.
    I am, however, interested in the target design you have.

Care to give us a tease?

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    798c94660eb7bc0d712a113900ab3c41.jpg

"Sent from a iBong6"

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I ain't got the gun. Nor the inclination to get one.
    I am, however, interested in the target design you have.

Care to give us a tease?
    One I'm working to patent (a former neighbor has a couple of patents and he's helping me with the process) and isn't really suitable for competition (it's more of an instrument for measuring impact momentum on the cheap) so I wasn't planning on using that one.

For competition, I was going to have made up a standard ram silhouette target shape, full-size. However, it would be made of 1/2" steel, with oversize feet, and extensive cross-bracing on the back. Total weight should exceed 150 pounds.

Then, by experimentation, I'd remove bracing and/or reduce the foot size so that a 700-grain .500S&W factory load has a 90% chance of knocking down the target if the target is struck in the rump and the rear foot swings off the target stand. That means you'd have to hit it two or three times in the middle to knock it down with most of the big boomers, maybe six times with a .44 Mag.

I'd score based on who used the least number of shots to drop the targets, thus prioritizing accuracy and power over time. Time from first shot to last for a string of fire would only be used to break ties.

In the beginning, silhouette shooting was supposed to be a power game. That quickly got changed because powerful handguns were not available back in the early 1970s. Too many people were blowing up their S&W M29s in an attempt to get 100% performance on rams so the rules were changed to the point that, at the right range, I could take them with 100% of hits when using a .221 Fireball.

Well, things have changed. We have truly powerful handguns available to us now. It seems like it would be fun to design a game that requires them.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 21, 2013
    benenglish;1048135 (it's more of an instrument for measuring impact momentum on the cheap).[/QUOTE said:
    Sounds like a job for John "Pondoro" Taylor.

Top Bottom