DK Firearms

Political: Cartoons, Memes, Funny Pictures, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    AND it taxes Western states more due to lack of public transport and more widely spaced cities.

honestly I think the intention is to push people out of small towns, cram them all into megalopolis size cities where they're easier to contain and control. Mega corps will hoover up the farm land, bull doze the small towns - they'll have huge resorts for the wealthy, mega corporate farms run mostly by remote controlled machines, or they'll maintain an on-site force of cheap (illegals) labor. That's why they let 70k border jumpers go last month.

All of this shit has motive behind it, and its almost never good for the people.

Yonse

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Minnesota
    4fp53d.jpg

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Essentially. I understand Ike's desire for a quick land based way to move equipment and personnel in a time of war, and to even use stretches as make-shift runways but outside of the mid west - it would be hard to move equipment and people rapidly on the interstates today. Too many cars & commercial trucks, tooooo damn much construction because roads across the country seem to be purposefully built to go to shit far, far before they're promised.

There are already plenty of roads that could be pressed into aircraft service with a few hours of clearing above ground hazards.

I'd prefer to see more rail, passenger and freight, infrastructure built.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    There are already plenty of roads that could be pressed into aircraft service with a few hours of clearing above ground hazards.

We had the rail infrastructure. Texas is crisscrossed with old rail lines that were no longer viable. One problem is that the pay at the railroad companies is pretty steep subsequently the only real development of rail in Texas seen is by Mexican companies - Texas Pacifico and FerroMex.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Agreed. But the whole high speed transit of goods, people, and the war-time use of ad hoc runways is how the Interstate Highway System was pitched. If only people knew how F'd it would get, they may have wanted to stick with rail for a lot of it.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Essentially. I understand Ike's desire for a quick land based way to move equipment and personnel in a time of war, and to even use stretches as make-shift runways but outside of the mid west - it would be hard to move equipment and people rapidly on the interstates today. Too many cars & commercial trucks, tooooo damn much construction because roads across the country seem to be purposefully built to go to shit far, far before they're promised.
    We had the rail infrastructure. Texas is crisscrossed with old rail lines that were no longer viable. One problem is that the pay at the railroad companies is pretty steep subsequently the only real development of rail in Texas seen is by Mexican companies - Texas Pacifico and FerroMex.
    When moving people, rail only makes sense going from Point A to Point B, and the greater the distance between those two points, the better Payoff. When you start adding stops between A&B, then you aren’t much better than taking the bus at half the cost (or less) or booking a flight (for not much more) and cutting the time to a fraction. When they were talking about running high speed rail from Houston to Dallas a few years back, I remember doing a value analysis based on the estimated trip time and the cost for ticket and I concluded I would be better off driving Because:
    1) when they pitched the idea of high speed rail, the claim was it would save 1.5 hours. Well that’s great and all, but that is station to station.. you still need to get to/from the train depot at both ends.
    2) Parking won’t be free at the origin station and unless you are staying near the destination station, you will need to find a way to get around once you get there. Yes, there’s Uber, but it’s not free either.
    3) basically all the hassles of an airport with a 1.5 hour benefit. If I could not drive, I’d probably rather just take a bus

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    When moving people, rail only makes sense going from Point A to Point B, and the greater the distance between those two points, the better Payoff. When you start adding stops between A&B, then you aren’t much better than taking the bus at half the cost (or less) or booking a flight (for not much more) and cutting the time to a fraction. When they were talking about running high speed rail from Houston to Dallas a few years back, I remember doing a value analysis based on the estimated trip time and the cost for ticket and I concluded I would be better off driving Because:
    1) when they pitched the idea of high speed rail, the claim was it would save 1.5 hours. Well that’s great and all, but that is station to station.. you still need to get to/from the train depot at both ends.
    2) Parking won’t be free at the origin station and unless you are staying near the destination station, you will need to find a way to get around once you get there. Yes, there’s Uber, but it’s not free either.
    3) basically all the hassles of an airport with a 1.5 hour benefit. If I could not drive, I’d probably rather just take a bus

I'm thinking more freight - I know it moves a lot by rail already - but you still see thousands of trucks criss-crossing the country hauling freight. Long distance high speed A to B rail would be interesting, but almost would require their own dedicated lines as well - you can't have a 200mph train on the same tracks as a 55 or 60mph mile long freight hauler.

Top Bottom