Police shooting Springfield IL bodycam video released.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Throwing boiling water on someone would 100% meet the standard for a deadly weapon in Texas.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Agreed:

(3) "Deadly force" means force that is intended or known by the actor to cause, or in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing, death or serious bodily injury.

Maxrobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2022
    Nashua, new Hampshire
    The way I saw it, the woman called the cops to report someone prowling outside her home at 1 AM. 3 cops responded and found no one. they should have bid the lady goodnight and left.
    Instead, they went in her home and interrogated her, asking for ID. As she was talking with them, she realized she had something on the stove and went to take it off. One cop joked about throwing water at them, another took it seriously and felt his life was in danger, shooting the woman in the face.
    The other two cops were like "WTF Dude!!"

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The way I saw it, the woman called the cops to report someone prowling outside her home at 1 AM. 3 cops responded and found no one. they should have bid the lady goodnight and left.
    Instead, they went in her home and interrogated her, asking for ID. As she was talking with them, she realized she had something on the stove and went to take it off. One cop joked about throwing water at them, another took it seriously and felt his life was in danger, shooting the woman in the face.
    The other two cops were like "WTF Dude!!"
    Me and my partner literally cooked bacon for someone because we didn't want to risk them throwing hot grease on us...

Shouldn't have let her have access to the water if they were the least bit concerned about it being a weapon.

No reason to step into the kitchen giving her acces to a target with her newly acquired weapon.
    Having a conversation with her about mental health would be a normal thing to do and it would likely be done inside (its just convenient for everyone). We literally have some people call us multiple times a week because of hallucinations/delusions about people in their attic, breaking in or burying bodies in their yard... its pretty common to recognize when they are needing to go back to a doctor to get meds changed to reduce the psychosis.

I've *heard* she had some MH issues, but don't know if that was why the officers went in or not.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I heard the risk of death by burns is high once you get to 50% of your total skin surface. I've seen videos where an angry Chinese cook dumped a boiling "hot pot" on a customer...mostly his chest and lap. I bet that customer died.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I heard the risk of death by burns is high once you get to 50% of your total skin surface. I've seen videos where an angry Chinese cook dumped a boiling "hot pot" on a customer...mostly his chest and lap. I bet that customer died.
    I had 9% , so they say, 1st and 2nd degree combined. 1984
    It isn't fun at all. If you've ever been there, you'll never forget.
    Threaten me with fire and I'll turn chicken and haul ass.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

9% is a common estimate, b/c Trauma Surgeons are taught to use the ‘‘Rule of 9’s” to estimate extent of burns.

<>

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

I've had small-ish (slightly less than saucer-sized) 2nd degree burns twice in my life, both from boiling liquid. Yeah, if someone threatened me with boiling water I'd take it seriously and respond in kind...

...but this situation was of the cop's making from what I can see.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I've had small-ish (slightly less than saucer-sized) 2nd degree burns twice in my life, both from boiling liquid. Yeah, if someone threatened me with boiling water I'd take it seriously and respond in kind...

...but this situation was of the cop's making from what I can see.
    They allowed a situation to develop that shouldn't have happened. Another case that is much more "bad at being a cop" than "bad cop". Better tactics and more maturity would likely have prevented this from happening.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    They allowed a situation to develop that shouldn't have happened. Another case that is much more "bad at being a cop" than "bad cop". Better tactics and more maturity would likely have prevented this from happening.
    He is bad at being a human being. I don't think any amount of training or tactics could make him successful in his chosen career. Not everyone can do every job-- several other departments quickly came to same conclusion; they tried him and found that he is a lost cause and a liability. It wasn't just dumping 3 in her head, it was the interaction starting with the door knock- he is incapable of reading people and has zero fuse. The call should have ended before he went into the house- no need to see her license or linger. I bet he cost that town $10M- Illinois is obscene with the judgements they deliver.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    He is bad at being a human being. I don't think any amount of training or tactics could make him successful in his chosen career. Not everyone can do every job-- several other departments quickly came to same conclusion; they tried him and found that he is a lost cause and a liability. It wasn't just dumping 3 in her head, it was the interaction starting with the door knock- he is incapable of reading people and has zero fuse. The call should have ended before he went into the house- no need to see her license or linger. I bet he cost that town $10M- Illinois is obscene with the judgements they deliver.
    I agree.

I'm good with the door knock and chatting with a woman with some mental health but then allowing her to get boiling water was a fail, his dealing with a woman with boiling water was a fail, approaching her when she had boiling water was a fail...

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    The whole thing is just sad.
    I feel for the family, yet wish they had not retained that Crump race-baiter. He is going to make this awful situation much uglier.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    In any case..........boiling water is not a deadly weapon and doesn't justify deadly force.

I thought they have tasers for shit like that.
    Boiling water does not need to be a likely cause of death; however, it indeed can cause significant & serious bodily injury. Thus it would be a justifiable defense if the defendant can articulate to a jury's or judges satisfaction why he thought it was such a threat in the given situation. Note, I am not making a judgement on the officer's actions nor on those of the deceased; I am only saying, without a doubt, that boiling water, in a substantial amount (such as a potful) hitting you anywhere, especially on exposed skin, can cause serious bodily injury.

(3)AA"Deadly force" means force that is intended or known by the actor to cause, or in the manner of its use or intended
    use is capable of causing, death or serious bodily injury.
    source: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/pdf/PE.9.pdf

Top Bottom