Please clear your weapons! Before popping the top.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Keep in mind that "shot while cleaning a gun" is VERY often a euphemism for suicide.

In the days of blackpowder, it was pretty difficult to tell if a gun was loaded. (Smart folks notched the loading rod!) Potentially, someone could get killed that way and that is supposed to be the start of the excuse. With modern firearms, it's not difficult at all and - alcohol or not - there aren't many folks who can't figure that out. Having said that, everyone should ALWAYS treat every gun as if it was loaded. If you shoot long enough, you will eventually be surprised when you check the chamber and find a bullet when you were "sure" it was empty. Taking that extra precaution every time keeps that surprise without danger.

The excuse of 'shot while cleaning a gun' may help the family cope better, may keep the shooter out of trouble with his/her church (which usually frown on suicide), and may keep the insurance company from avoiding a settlement. Suicide is pretty much never a good solution for any problem. Besides all the other problems created, using a gun also leaves behind a stain on the rest of us.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Didn't think about the Glocks, I have not had one in so long. For something like a Glock or XD, logic would definitely dictate a 'drop the mag, rack the slide' before pulling the trigger.

Dirt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Nowheresville, Tx
    You have to pull the trigger on a Glock to disassemble it.

What model Glock requires a trigger pull? I have a G23 and no trigger pulling is required to disassemble it. Well, unless its hot at the time you disassemble. The XD on the other hand requires a trigger pull, unless I'm doing it wrong?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    What model Glock requires a trigger pull? I have a G23 and no trigger pulling is required to disassemble it. Well, unless its hot at the time you disassemble. The XD on the other hand requires a trigger pull, unless I'm doing it wrong?

Yes, there is on the Glock.

With "hot" gun;

1. Remove Magazine
    2. Lock slide to rear, ejecting round. Check the chamber....check AGAIN
    3. Release slide
    4. Point weapon in safe direction
    5. Press trigger.

with "cold" (what is Cardinal rule number 1) gun;

1. Remove Magazine
    2. Lock slide to rear. Check the chamber....check AGAIN
    3. Release slide
    4. Point weapon in safe direction
    5. Press trigger.

Since you will ALWAYS lock the slide to the rear and inspect the chamber prior to cleaning a semi-auto pistol, the Glock must have the trigger pulled prior to disassembly.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The excuse of 'shot while cleaning a gun' may help the family cope better, may keep the shooter out of trouble with his/her church (which usually frown on suicide), and may keep the insurance company from avoiding a settlement. Suicide is pretty much never a good solution for any problem. Besides all the other problems created, using a gun also leaves behind a stain on the rest of us.

Law Enforcement and the ME don't care about ANY of that.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Many things distract the mind from what one is doing or what is going on. You really notice this human failure on the streets and highways more often than reading or seeing a sad gun related incident. True, they who are zonkered to the gills on rukus juice or beer should just sit in their chair at home and keep their hands firmly on the airchair's armrests....Skip the urge to drive, handle firearms, delve into sex, or argue with other home occupants...You are only safe to watch TV, sleep it off, and you don't need to be fooling with guns....if one or two beers screw you up, quit and join AA....Otherwise enjoy !

Dirt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Nowheresville, Tx
    Thanks for the schooling. I'm in no position to argue that, being that I'm a noob to all this. I check, check and recheck and I still get nervous when I pull the trigger in the house. I really get nervous when my wife handles her weapon. Im like a chiuaha shittin razor blades till she puts that thing up!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Thanks for the schooling. I'm in no position to argue that, being that I'm a noob to all this. I check, check and recheck and I still get nervous when I pull the trigger in the house. I really get nervous when my wife handles her weapon. Im like a chiuaha shittin razor blades till she puts that thing up!

reminds me of the time iw as showing a girl how tomake sure a gun was clear.

"drop the mage by pressing that little button there.... ok now pullt eh slide all the way back and look inside. make sure there arent any rounds int he action... good. now gently relase the slide. awesome. now point the gun in a safe direction, this pile of phone books should work fine. ok now squeeze the trigger to take the tension off the firing pin..."
    when she pulled the trigger i popped a paper bag behind her head.
    she damn near fainted!

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    reminds me of the time iw as showing a girl how tomake sure a gun was clear.

"drop the mage by pressing that little button there.... ok now pullt eh slide all the way back and look inside. make sure there arent any rounds int he action... good. now gently relase the slide. awesome. now point the gun in a safe direction, this pile of phone books should work fine. ok now squeeze the trigger to take the tension off the firing pin..."
    when she pulled the trigger i popped a paper bag behind her head.
    she damn near fainted!

LMAO at that. Check out this video. YouTube - "LOL!" husband and wife prank

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Didn't think about the Glocks, I have not had one in so long. For something like a Glock or XD, logic would definitely dictate a 'drop the mag, rack the slide' before pulling the trigger.

Does it really matter? I mean could you show me a gun that doesn't require a "drop mag, slide rack" safety check before cleaning?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    On May 16, 1981, I drank my last shot of Jack Daniels and I'm coming up on my 29th year of sobriety. The damned stuff never did anything good in my life and I don't miss it one bit. No firearms problems here....no AD's, nothing shot that shouldn't have been shot, never fired a round while cleaning a gun. Wonder if there is a correlation between sobriety and firearms safety?

Flash

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Agreed, guns and alcohol are a deadly mix.

And I always clear and check the weapon several times before disassembling. I am scared shitless of an AD...

Me too, I rack the slide back 4-5 times (obviously with magazine out) and finally lock it back for a visual inspection before dry firing.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Does it really matter? I mean could you show me a gun that doesn't require a "drop mag, slide rack" safety check before cleaning?
    Beretta Bobcat and Tomcat. Drop mag and tilt barrel forward. Of course you could rack the slide instead, but it's not necessary.

JustaPhule

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Greenville, TX
    IMAO
    The biggest problem is an image problem with a ND (I refuse to use accidental, if it goes off when you don't want it to, it's NEGLIGENT) painting all gun owners with the same brush as the idiots. If the person who has the ND is the only one injured, two thoughts run through my head: 1. Pain is the best teacher; and 2. Chlorine in the gene pool. If the ND causes collateral damage then the thoughts start with - F*CKING IDIOT, and go downhill from there.

Top Bottom