• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    I plan to do an Arkansas trip sometime with atv's, where do you go?

Wolf Pen Gap in Mena Arkansas is where I have been the last couple years. It is a fun place and I recommend it. We usually stay at Shadow Rock Cabins where you can ride directly to the trails.
    Gun Zone Deals

Flight954

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    My little sooter

misc012.gif

CharlieBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    3.5 Rubicon Lift, Banks Header, K & N fuel injection kit, upgraded magnaflow cat back, Hypertech Power programmer, Body Armor front/back bumpers and rails, Skid Row skid plates, XM radio and a 200 watt Pioneer amp with Polk Audio MOMO's and two extra Pioneer 6x9's. 33 inch BFG MudTerrain rubber on American Racing Chamber wheels.

Attachments

• CharliesJeep.jpg
      CharliesJeep.jpg
      52.5 KB · Views: 241

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I personally wouldn't go less than a 600. Going with a smaller bike, you tend to out grow it quick. You can find some good used ones around that are in "better shape" than David's old Kawi...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Looking to get a good starter bike, was thinking about a Suzuki gs500f. Any advice. Never rode before.

Take MSF BRC

Personally, I wouldn't go over 600 for a first bike assuming we're talking about sportbikes/sport standards. Cruisers are a different beast.

You should outgrow your first bike. That's why its called a "first bike". It's there so that you can learn the riding ropes and then some. And I don't say that in regards to twisting the wrist and feeling 'the power', I mean in regards to handling the bike in any and all situations between pulling out of your garage to pulling in hours later, period. I liken moving up the motorcycle ladder to moving up the bicycle ladder. I remember being able to confidently and automatically make my bicycle do anything I wanted it to do, with very little effort. I basically "rung it out" because I had been on it long enough to learn it. I think that's how a first bike should be. You get to the point where it feels like wearing your most comfortable pair of old jeans. It just works automatically. And when talking about riding skills, that can be the difference between life or death. Outride your bike, don't let it out ride you.

And don't fall for the "its cheaper" argument either. First bikes can be had from $1500-$3k. And they can be sold for pretty close to those costs as well. Everyone is always looking for a first bike, they don't go out of style. My first bike, bought $2600, sold for $1950 3 years later. Tim's first bike, bought for $2600, sold for $2500 1 year later...both because we HAD to sell due to an overseas move.

Rating bikes by their engine size can be deceiving. There are some bikes that don't make a lot of HP for their size, some that do. I general mark I went by that was an understood standard was first bike <50HP was ideal, 50-60HP was a 'gray area' bike.

Take into account the type of engine, I4, Vtwin, Parallel Twin and even Triples. The two twins make for a predictable linear application of power from the engine. Your Vtwin will have a bit more low end torque compared to the parallel. But the parallel is a fabulous ride throughout. The I4 has a slightly different delivery. You get a stable line up until a certain rpm, normally near 10k and then it takes off like a rocket. But they're made for running and running fast and they do that very well. For my own tastes, I like the Vtwin. Everyone's style varies.

Speaking of style, I would suggest you decide what you need your bike to do for you. Is it a commuter? A weekend toy? Sport tourer/road trips? Do everything? Dual sport? Your riding style will help guide you to getting thebike that will perform the way you need, and still be comfortable for what you're using it for. You can use any bike to do anything, but when you have the right bike for the job, its makes "the job" much more enjoyable.

You mentioned the GS500F. It is not a bad choice. I encourage you to look at a Ninja 500r too for comparison. You might see a value there.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    canofworms.jpg

The can has been opened.

This becomes a raging debate on every motorcycle forum I've been on. Rather than turn this into a threadjack, I'd strongly suggest finding threads on this subject on some motorcycle forums and read up. Some good places to start would be The Sportbike Network, Motohouston.com Forums, and Two Wheeled Texans just to name a few.

The consensus is that 600cc sportbikes do not make good starter bikes for someone new to riding. They are very unforgiving of newbie mistakes. The two usual arguments are "I started on a 600cc bike and I did fine", meaning "I've been lucky", and as you said, people say you'll outgrow it soon and want to get another one. The last point isn't really a big deal; for most riders, their first bike is rarely ever the only one they'll own over time.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Mmm I wouldn't easily or lightly recommend the sv650 for a first bike. It's a gray one that will heavily depend on the rider. One characteristic would be the size of the rider, think >6' & 200lbs, and the maturity <-- extremely subjective for a first time rider.

The 1st gen sv puts out about 70hp with the 2nd gen FIed version putting out 3-5hp more at stock.

I think I'd recommend a Ducati Monster 620 or 750 (~ 60HP) before the SV650, not so much the 695 or 696.

Don't get me wrong, the SV is a great bike and a super bargain, but I think there are bikes I'd put before it in the first bike category. I wouldn't go giving an SV to my imaginary teenage son lol

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    ......but do take the MSF course!
    As of 9/1 when the new laws go into effect, you'll have to take the MSF course in order to get your 'M' endorsement. Before, taking the course would exempt you from the riding test but you could get a license on your own with no formal training. I know a couple of instructors and they're not happy about this. Classes will obviously now be booked solid (good for revenue, I guess), but now instead of having students who are taking the class because they want to do it, there will be a lot of disinterested students who are just going through the motions to qualify for a license.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx

Well, there goes my lunch... :p

There are some very good points brought up here on "your first bike" and it can last for days on end with other peoples view points. The most common advise is: Taking the MSF course is the best thing for new riders. Also, riding with someone that (you trust) to help teach you. Experience with anything comes with time.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    It has the rookie X on is so it had to be 2003-2004. I had pulled into sound control to get well off the track so the P&Q/race session could continue without a yellow.

Did we pick you up with the ugly maroon rollback wrecker with an ugly guy with red hair and a goatee driving? Didn't have sound control set up out there that often, I think I remember the car. Was Wayne out there at sound control that day?

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Did we pick you up with the ugly maroon rollback wrecker with an ugly guy with red hair and a goatee driving? Didn't have sound control set up out there that often, I think I remember the car. Was Wayne out there at sound control that day?

I'm pretty sure Wayne was at sound that day. I was pulled in by a flat tow to the paddock gate near garage 4.

Top Bottom