Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Aced English in college and still f-up my werds. Oftin just ta get a point akross.
    Treading close to a personal pet peeve of mine, there. I'm willing to use various misspellings and poor grammar in conversational writing. That's legit. But it's possible to step over the line.

From _Handloading for Competition_ by Glenn Zediker, out of the bio of the author:
    I have a degree from Ole Miss in English (which certifies me to butcher the language as freely as I do because I know better.)
    No, it doesn't.

On balance, I love that book and learned a great deal from it. However, there are paragraphs in that book that are simply unreadable when he tries for a backwoods/folksy tone and completely misses the mark. For example, there's a paragraph where he makes a point about the relative quality of reloading presses by talking about a squirrel running into a tree.

I don't have the foggiest notion what he was trying to say.

Sometimes you can go too far.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Treading close to a personal pet peeve of mine, there. I'm willing to use various misspellings and poor grammar in conversational writing. That's legit. But it's possible to step over the line.

This was not done maliciously, but, to point out that it does happen with intent.

Last edited:

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy

From _Handloading for Competition_ by Glenn Zediker, out of the bio of the author:No, it doesn't.

On balance, I love that book and learned a great deal from it. However, there are paragraphs in that book that are simply unreadable when he tries for a backwoods/folksy tone and completely misses the mark. For example, there's a paragraph where he makes a point about the relative quality of reloading presses by talking about a squirrel running into a tree.

I don't have the foggiest notion what he was trying to say.

Sometimes you can go too far.

Maybe you just need to brush up on the finer points of squirrel behavior.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Maybe you just need to brush up on the finer points of squirrel behavior.
    Maybe. You be the judge.
    Now, I can't say a Harrell's is better aligned than any other press one might encounter, but I can say that all Harrell's presses are aligned, meaning the assurance of purchasing as perfectly made a tool as can be gotten are 100-percent with Harrell's. I don't know what those odds are with an RCBS, but I have only recently seen a squirrel run headlong into a tree trunk; the squirrel was very proudly carrying an acorn.
    Now, just WTF is he saying with all the text following "but I have only recently seen..."?

PS - No comment on the irritating punctuation errors.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    He's saying that even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.
    And, thus, lucking into an RCBS aligned as well as a Harrell's, while possible, is very unlikely.

Holy crap, I have read that paragraph 100 times and it never penetrated my consciousness before just now.

Thank you, sir. 1000 times, thank you.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Maybe. You be the judge

A4E45FA9-A778-4C83-AD25-E044F27BCBC0.jpeg

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Agreed. It happened at least twice, with deliberate intent, in the text of mine that you quoted. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't take me too seriously all the time. :clown:

ETA: I also should have stated "...more obvious intent."

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom