Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    I'll definitely be watching select events and athletes. Because America sends some idiots to the games doesn't mean that they all are. And we had despicable ones in past Olympics, too, the ones that make you absolutely cringe that they are representing our country. Remember the disgraceful stunt that hammer thrower Gwen Berry pulled in the 2020 Olympic trials when she turned her back on the National Anthem? Karma got her because Berry didn't even come close to placing in the Tokyo games; don't even think she made it into the event semifinals.

By contrast you have athletes like one of my faves I'll be watching, Sydney McLaughlin. It's almost without argument that, at just 24, she's proven she's the GOAT at her primary event, the 400 meter hurdles. Setting a new world record last month at the trials, that made 4 world records over a period of just 13 months, and she became the first track athlete, male or female, to break four world records in the same event. Just a bit more memorable than disgruntled Gwen Berry!

What does McLaughlin say about her success? "I no longer run for self-recognition, but to reflect [God's] perfect will that is already set in stone. I don’t deserve anything. But by grace, through faith, Jesus has given me everything. Records come and go. The glory of God is eternal."

Another event I'll be watching is the men's shot put. Tiny Ryan Crouser (he's a mere 6'7" and 320) set world records at the Tokyo games and again at the 2023 World Championships in Budapest. He's a good ol' boy from Boring, Oregon (yep; that's really the name of the town) and I think he has a 70/30 chance of setting another record in Paris.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'll be watching - lumping everyone together for the views of a few is disingenuous. Having had a kid in competitive gymnastics for years made me appreciate how hard people had to work (whether super gifted or not) to get to that level. It's just a shame that more of the non-glamour sports don't get aired on normal broadcasts.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    I'll be watching - lumping everyone together for the views of a few is disingenuous. Having had a kid in competitive gymnastics for years made me appreciate how hard people had to work (whether super gifted or not) to get to that level. It's just a shame that more of the non-glamour sports don't get aired on normal broadcasts.

Tangent, but I gotta do it based on your post. I have a long-time friend who has, as she's gotten older, oddly become more leftist...odd because most folks I know tend to lean a little toward conservatism as they, er, mature. ;) She also ain't a sports person.

Leading up the Tokyo games I mentioned Simone Biles and told my friend that she's the greatest female gymnast--maybe the greatest, period--of all time. My friend said, "You can't make that statement." I asked why not, and she said that I had no idea how many girls around the world simply didn't have the luck to grow up white and rich and be able to afford gymnastic lessons, that there could be 100 that could be better than this Simone person.

I had to patiently explain that Simone was most definitely Black, was the next-to-the-youngest of four siblings,
    and that her single mother fought with drug and alcohol addiction and was unable care for the kids. Child protective services put all four into the foster care system, where Simone spent three years. It wasn't until Simone's maternal grandfather, Ron Biles, and his wife learned that the kids were in foster care that they did their best to take in all four temporarily in their home in Spring. They couldn't provide for all four, so Ron's sister took in the two eldest, leaving Simone and Adria with Ron and his wife, who formally adopted them in 2003. Money was not growing on the trees in the Biles's yard; there were no private schools or fancy gymnastic summer camps. Simone went to public school and in 2012, when she was 15 or 16, the decision was made to switch to home schooling so that Simone could up her gymnastic training from 20 to 32 hours per week. She earned her GED in 2015.

No, the most decorated gymnast in history did not grow up white-privileged with a silver spoon in her mouth. She started with the right genetics, endured a childhood that could have scrubbed her chances of achieving much, and then worked her ass off to get to where she is.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    I’ll miss most of it as I will be fishing on the Kenai River. However I will watch some stuff. No games with round balls, just too boring. I hope to catch some swim events and salmon

Wow. Alaska! Have a great trip, travel safe, and bring back enough salmon to smoke for the entire forum. :)

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Like alot of other things nowadays days. FK the Olympics the Aholes are talking about entering skateboarding as an Olympic sport the fkn team sports are bad enough.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Rafe,

Is your friend a self-loathing whitey?

What if S.B. was a white kid from wealthy parents...so what?

White kids aren't allowed to compete if there background is privileged?

Everyone else can compete, but not them?

Your friend is way off track...

Last edited:

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    No, the most decorated gymnast in history did not grow up white-privileged with a silver spoon in her mouth. She started with the right genetics, endured a childhood that could have scrubbed her chances of achieving much, and then worked her ass off to get to where she is.
    Netflix just put out a short documentary on her. I remember she got the "twisties" in 2020 Toyko. Apparently, it took her a couple of years of trying and re-trying to practice her gymnastics to get over them. She said you never completely get over them...its a fear in your head...that mind and body will separate mid flip or spin and you will land wrong and break your neck. I have renewed admiration for her given she lives with the fear and still delivers world champ performance.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Gymnastics is definitely seen as a 'rich people' sport, and if you look at the cars in the parking lot at the gym you could certainly make a case for it. But not every athlete comes from a family with money falling out of their butts. There's quite a few families making some big sacrifices to keep their kids in the sport.

I won't overshare, but let's just say I'm somewhat involved with what y'all are talking about here.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I’ll miss most of it as I will be fishing on the Kenai River. However I will watch some stuff. No games with round balls, just too boring. I hope to catch some swim events and salmon

Hope you get some hogs. Its been 28 years since I've been there and want to go back. Are you planning on any halibut trips while up there too, or just salmon on the kenai?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Many wealthy folk started out quit impoverished...I did, but as time evolved I became wealthy.

So painting all wealthy people as second-class citizens per political correctness/marxist perspective is nonsense...

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    The anti-American hating scum like l.j. sicken me...why don't the owners don't fire them?

Oh, that's right, they hate the U.S. too...

Top Bottom