DK Firearms

Owning multiple handguns in the same caliber?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riksors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2019
    Georgetown
    I used to own multiple caliber pistols.

When I started reloading, I consolidated it to only 3 calibers. 45acp, 9mm and 22lr. I prefer to have the same powder for both 45acp and 9mm (w 22lr as exception, I buy factory). Most with the same ergonomics, 3 different calibers.

Simplified approach.
    Venture Surplus ad

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Don’t fret it good folk. I happen to own 5 different handguns in 9mm. I own the Glock 21 in 45 ACP but the rest are all 9mm. Just like the different weapons and styles that are offered and trust me there are plenty. The trusted Beretta 92 FS, Canik TP9SF and the one series elite sf from Canik as well as the Sar9 from Sarsilmaz and my trusty EDC Ruger EC9s which is a joy to shoot and no one even knows you have it on you. So there is no right or wrong in my humble opinion and if you want to buy 10 more in 9mm then go for it good folk.

Just Ed,

I personally believe that you should only ADD more calibers when you have a plentiful supply of ammo (or components for reloading) for the calibers that you already own.

For example, I'm in the process of buying a 3rd generation S&W in .40S&W to EDC when we move OCONUS (Our "current plan" is for 4-6 months a year.) where my .45ACP & 9x19mm handguns are UNLAWFUL for anyone but military personnel to possess.

yours, satx

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    When I first started my, uh, investments, I had planned for specific calibers. I’ve always wanted duplicates within each caliber for redundancy, but I also wanted multiple calibers. Once you have your second pistol in say 9mm, the next could be a 40 or 45. (Just examples).

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    I'm an "accumulator" of firearms, mostly handguns. I've got multiple guns in the same caliber, multiple "same" guns (who knows when parts might not be available) and "type" of gun (S&W K-frame) in multiple barrel lengths for the same cartridge. Guess I'm just a old fart with too much time on my hands.

p230

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I'm an "accumulator" of firearms, mostly handguns. I've got multiple guns in the same caliber, multiple "same" guns (who knows when parts might not be available) and "type" of gun (S&W K-frame) in multiple barrel lengths for the same cartridge. Guess I'm just a old fart with too much time on my hands.

I may have missed it in the other posts but this is something to keep in mind. So people are shooters, some collectors and some self defense only. These are also not mutually exclusive. I "collect" a lot of different handguns/rifles. I would not pick my Romanian Tokarev as my EDC. I mean if its the only thing around it will do the job but I much prefer a SIG or Steyr. I have 2-3 EDC pistols and a couple home defense rifles that get the majority of the shooting I do. I then have probably 4-5 pistols that I use to evaluate ammo and mags in. Then it gets esoteric with stuff that I might shoot once every couple years. Bottom line do what works for you I don't think there is a "wrong" way to do it as long as you keep a good supply of ammo handy. What constitutes a "good" supply of ammo is a whole different post we would have to open up. Lets just say I have been able to keep shooting at a close to normal place and my coworkers who did not buy many months ago when I told them too have been whining.

jbrig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    Houston
    I haven't been collecting for long but all I have is 9mm and I do love the caliber, but if there is one thing I have learned with ammo being harder to come by is that it won't hurt to have multiple calibers. I plan on expanding to other calibers soon.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    yeah, nothing better than having a list of calibers to hunt around for... not for me

majority of my handguns are in just a few calibers

cowboy guns are a different story (almost all of mine are in .44 spl russian and magnum).

James1979

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2021
    San Antonio
    Just a curiosity question. Do you think think it's best to own multiple handguns in the same caliber or do you feel you should have several different caliber handguns in your collection? Do you feel there's a point where you have "too many" pistols in the same caliber? I know answers will vary, I just wanted to hear some different opinions.

Top Bottom