• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    How long will water in plastic bottles be potable when stored in a garage, exposed to heat?

Takes one summer for the mold seam on those cheap plastic bottles to fail in the heat. So it doesn't really matter how long the water will keep because it's gonna become feral water and escape before you know it.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    Takes one summer for the mold seam on those cheap plastic bottles to fail in the heat. So it doesn't really matter how long the water will keep because it's gonna become feral water and escape before you know it.
    Didn't know that. Is that on all the brands or just the really cheap thin bottles that fold up in your hand while you try to twist the cap off?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Didn't know that. Is that on all the brands or just the really cheap thin bottles that fold up in your hand while you try to twist the cap off?

The one gallon milk jug type are prone to it. I had some gently used distilled water jugs I had refilled with tapwater out in the forge, because hauling water for the quench tank is a hassle so I figured I'd stockpile it over the summer and replenish what evaporated. Found all the bottles at least mostly empty when the time came to add water to the tank, and they damn near ruined the shelf they were sitting on.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    The one gallon milk jug type are prone to it. I had some gently used distilled water jugs I had refilled with tapwater out in the forge, because hauling water for the quench tank is a hassle so I figured I'd stockpile it over the summer and replenish what evaporated. Found all the bottles at least mostly empty when the time came to add water to the tank, and they damn near ruined the shelf they were sitting on.
    Ah, okay. I thought you were talking about bottled water, Dasani, Aquafina, etc. Thanks. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... the really cheap thin bottles that fold up in your hand while you try to twist the cap off?
    I hate that. I still buy Hill Country at HEB but when they switched over to the thin bottles, I was mightily irritated.

I don't know why I was surprised, though. It was just a few years earlier that HEB switched to the ultra-thin plastic bags at checkout. Previously, I almost never needed household plastic trash bags. I just recycled the grocery bags from HEB. I even installed an inside-the-cabinet-door frame designed to hold those plastic bags open for that use.

Not any more. When the grocery bags got too thin to repurpose as garbage bags I had to start buying a lot more plastic garbage bags.

By making the bags thinner so they used less plastic, I was forced to use a lot more plastic.

Those unintended consequences will smack you in the head every time. :)

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Depends on the bottle... had some el cheapo 500ml water bottles rolling around in the back of a cargo Sprinter I used to haul dirt bikes around. They had been in there probably close to two years in the heat and while they had a slightly gasoline flavor I lived.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Milk jugs are PE (HDPE, iirc) soda and most water bottles are PET.

PET is an AWESOME plastic and is also fuel proof. A 2l soda bottle and an unlined lid (like Smart water uses) will store gas and be nearly indestructible (i.e. With out worry, I will dirt bike with one or two in my pack if I'm in BFE).

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Top Bottom