• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    The few close calls with Tornadoes I've had and after watching the devastation recently in Garland / Rowlett has me thinking it might not be a bad idea to have access to a firearm in case of a sudden midnight tornado where the house doesn't make it.

I'm out in the country. I've got an underground concrete shelter. I'm not concerned about security. I can take care of that part. I'm more thinking along the lines of rust protection but something that could be readily available if needed. In other words, I don't want to pack it in grease.

Anyone have experience with this sort of stuff? Triple ziplock with some desiccant? Vacuum storage? One of those burial vaults? Just buy tupperware and clean and lube it once a month?

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.
    Guns International

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have vacuum sealed a couple of rifles and pistols. Give 'em a good cleaning and lubing first, then seal them up. Ammo too. I keep them in the house tho. If outside, might want to add some silicone desiccant packs.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You could get a marine shotgun, all weather bolt action, or a Glock and not worry about it. Nickle plated ammo (Hornady TAP comes to mind) is made to fight corrosion.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    HiPoint. Just toss it in the cellar and forget. Throw a new one in each year.

Sent from my HAL 9000

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I have vacuum sealed a couple of rifles and pistols. Give 'em a good cleaning and lubing first, then seal them up. Ammo too. I keep them in the house tho. If outside, might want to add some silicone desiccant packs.

Any specific brand name packaging? What mill thickness are the bags?

https://www.zcorrproducts.com/

these have been becoming more popular (as in this style of protection)

If you just want a pistol handy, then I would just vacuum seal it with some ammo

Sounds good. Anyone have personal experience with this stuff? Most advertisements are designed to sound good.

You could get a marine shotgun, all weather bolt action,
    A good consideration, but also harder to carry around if you're in the process of trying to pick things up.

or a Glock and not worry about it.

Blasphemy.

Nickle plated ammo (Hornady TAP comes to mind) is made to fight corrosion.

Not quite as concerned about ammo. It won't be submerged in water or anything crazy.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    Put some desiccant packs in as well. Big consumer electronics have nice ones (iMacs have two) or you can buy commercial. Put them in an oven at the minimum to bake out as much moisture as possible before you seal them up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M2 Carbine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2014
    Wipe the gun metal down with Corrosion X.
    We used it on our helicopters flying in the Gulf of Mexico. There's not a damper, more corrosive (salt) atmosphere anywhere.

I've opened my barn gun safe (just a steel box) and found the guns covered with moisture, like the outside of a Ice Tea glass.

Not a speck of rust on the guns.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Wipe the gun metal down with Corrosion X.
    We used it on our helicopters flying in the Gulf of Mexico. There's not a damper, more corrosive (salt) atmosphere anywhere.

I've opened my barn gun safe (just a steel box) and found the guns covered with moisture, like the outside of a Ice Tea glass.

Not a speck of rust on the guns.

Never heard of it. How far down do you need to strip the guns to use this stuff? Just wipe the outside down and swab the inside of the barrel, or completely strip it down and coat all the roll pins, etc.?

M2 Carbine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2014
    Never heard of it. How far down do you need to strip the guns to use this stuff? Just wipe the outside down and swab the inside of the barrel, or completely strip it down and coat all the roll pins, etc.?

It's pretty easy to find. I've seen it in gun stores.
    Comes in spray and liquid.

It's about like a 5 weight oil.

Mostly I just run a wet patch through the bore and wipe the gun (metal) down with a rag with a liberal amount of Corrosions X on it.

Stripping the gun down and wiping all the steel parts would be the best way, although I've never done that.
    On the helicopters we used the spray and about every day sprayed any steel parts we could reach.

http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html

http://www.findsmarter.com/web?ts=go&q=where+to+buy+corrosion+x

Believe me. If there was a better product than Corrosion X I would have seen it was used on my bird. :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom