• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Krw17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    If you are in/on someone elses property (company vehicle in my case, company owned store in your case) they have their own rights, property rights to be specific. IMO they have the right to dictate what you can and can't do on their property (short of depriving you of life of stealing from you) and that includes whether you can carry a gun).

This is not completely true as I see it. Individuals can ask you to leave their store or deny you employment because you look like a dirty bum, but not because you look Jewish or because of the color of your skin. Private businesses have been forced by the federal government to install ADA accommodations. Now I suppose they aren't "forced", since they could just choose to be out of business but I think we could agree that they are compelled to. I would contend that your constitutional rights should always be protected even when on private property. On the flip side of that I do believe in property rights. I guess the battle is which trumps which because it feels like that is evaluated on a case by case basis.

I do always ponder the free speech right though. A theatre clearly has the right to throw you out because you are being loud and talking during the movie, however you aren't being arrested just being denied service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That argument usually falls apart for the simple fact that you have no right to be on someone else's property.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    *sigh*

Why does anyone need to justify the "why" when it already is by some (apparently forgotten) piece of sheepskin called the Constitution. Why do I need to justify my rights to anyone else? Does anyone feel the need to justify their right to free speech if they talk out in the open? Why is the second amendment any different? Why must we argue about every little thing that we feel slightly different on?

I like turtles... Why? For reasons only I understand that are better than your reasons for not liking turtles.

I don't like turtles... I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to own turtles, I just don't think anybody needs a turtle.

Do you see how frivolous this entire thread is?

It's like those who don't support OC apparently think that if passed they will be FORCED to OC themselves? Why do you care if you support gun rights? How does it affect your concealed carry of a handgun? Oh wait, it doesn't.

end

*sigh*

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    This is not completely true as I see it. Individuals can ask you to leave their store or deny you employment because you look like a dirty bum, but not because you look Jewish or because of the color of your skin. Private businesses have been forced by the federal government to install ADA accommodations. Now I suppose they aren't "forced", since they could just choose to be out of business but I think we could agree that they are compelled to. I would contend that your constitutional rights should always be protected even when on private property. On the flip side of that I do believe in property rights. I guess the battle is which trumps which because it feels like that is evaluated on a case by case basis.

I do always ponder the free speech right though. A theatre clearly has the right to throw you out because you are being loud and talking during the movie, however you aren't being arrested just being denied service.

If I owned my property or business I should be able to boot your ass for any reason I choose. Discrimination laws don't reduce discrimination.

Krw17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    That argument usually falls apart for the simple fact that you have no right to be on someone else's property.

My response was based on a place of business, you are right I don't really have an inherent right to be there but the government has shown a propensity to set laws based on the the fact that I might be. You can't say you don't want to rent your house to me because I'm a Mexican, you can't decide not to sell me a movie ticket because I'm black. Private businesses and now some city ordinances require private homes to be built to comply with ADA laws. All examples of compelling private property owners to accommodate someone they perhaps didn't want to.

Krw17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    If I owned my property or business I should be able to boot your ass for any reason I choose. Discrimination laws don't reduce discrimination.

I completely agree with you there. I was only saying that already seems to be a precedent for protecting certain rights whether you are in private property or not. It's weird how our legislators can pick and choose.

Krw17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    So let's fight to get rid of gov overreach, not increase it.

Certain laws have to cross property boundaries. If I visit your store you can't kill me or at least I'm not for legalizing that. The question is who is picking and choosing which laws take precedence. Let's not leave it up to he lobbyists. The bill of rights should apply anywhere.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'm for killing annoying guests on my property. That would solve so many problems during the holidays and Super Bowl parties.

Drunk (on my alcohol) Uncle Billy Bob's crazy wife talking annoyingly loud about super gay topics while I'm watching a game - BAM!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The constitution is to place limits on the federal gov.

NOTHING in the Bill of Rights says you have a right to be on my property, and you don't.

If you have no right to be on my property, how can you have the right to carry on my property.

I'm not violating your 2A rights, I'm not disarming you, I'm saying you can't enter my property unless you meet certain criteria. That is perfectly constitutional.

(I used myself as an example, I generally don't have a problem with someone carrying on my property)

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Certain laws have to cross property boundaries. If I visit your store you can't kill me or at least I'm not for legalizing that. The question is who is picking and choosing which laws take precedence. Let's not leave it up to he lobbyists. The bill of rights should apply anywhere.

The bill of rights does apply everywhere. Me telling you that you can't cuss my customers when you work for me or carry a gun into my property is not a violation of any of your rights. The BOR protects you from the government, not me.

Krw17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013

NOTHING in the Bill of Rights says you have a right to be on my property, and you don't.

If you have no right to be on my property, how can you have the right to carry on my property.

I'm not violating your 2A rights, I'm not disarming you, I'm saying you can't enter my property unless you meet certain criteria. That is perfectly constitutional.

(I used myself as an example, I generally don't have a problem with someone carrying on my property)

Ok, I'm following you. And Winchester below. Thanks.

There are state laws and such that are still prudent on your property. If I'm visiting you, you can't steal my truck and say I have no protection under the law because I had parked it your driveway. I know we would like for that to be the case especially if the situation had been that you had warned me several times not to do it! I'm still struggling with the fact that certain protections must still exist even when I'm on your private property.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    But I can tell you not to bring your vehicle on my property, or ask you to remove it from my property and have it towed if you refuse to comply ;)

As I said earlier in this thread, I support all rights, even those that may not seem to benefit me.

In the case of property rights, I support the right of a property owner to no allow guns. It has nothing to do with where I want to carry, it has to do with the greater implications of trampled property rights. Letting the gov continue to expand its grip on private property will be bad for everyone. I want the gov to leave private property alone, even if it means some people will exercise their right to not allow me on their property with a gun, or because I have a beard, or because my beard is red, or because I wear work boots, or because I'm white.

I believe it's their right to make that decision.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Wonder how those who were here before we got here felt about that?

For good or evil, these natural law/inalienable right concepts historically have a self serving component to them, depending on who gets to apply/interpret.

To the victor go the spoils...

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Ok, I'm following you. And Winchester below. Thanks.

There are state laws and such that are still prudent on your property. If I'm visiting you, you can't steal my truck and say I have no protection under the law because I had parked it your driveway. I know we would like for that to be the case especially if the situation had been that you had warned me several times not to do it! I'm still struggling with the fact that certain protections must still exist even when I'm on your private property.

But I can "steal" it. Legally. I can have it towed if you're trespassing.

We are discussing two separate issues though. In your other example you mentioned murder, murder is against the law. I have no right to it unless I'm defending which makes it not murder.

In the truck example, as well as the employer example, I have rights because I am on my property, you are there by invitation not right.

I have no right to carry in your home. I have a right to a choice if presented with the options of entering unarmed or being barred from entry while carrying.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

For good or evil, these natural law/inalienable right concepts historically have a self serving component to them, depending on who gets to apply/interpret.

Assuming you mean Native Americans. Yes, we completely trampled their rights.

As far as property rights go, I don't believe they had a concept of land ownership until we showed up and started drawing out boundary lines. Not an expert on the subject by any means.

Rights being self serving? Well of course. Having a foundation of basic rights does serve me, as well as everyone else. It may not always work in my favor, but in the big picture it does. As it does for everyone.

What we did to the native Americans was wrong on just about every level, but I didn't do it to them any more than I owned a slave. I feel no guilt.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

The difference is simple: If your goal is conquest or visit, the concept changes. There is no doubt we robbed the original owners, however, we weren't exercising rights, we weren't visiting. Our goal was conquest, and we won.
    This discussion is entirely different.

Top Bottom