• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Just repeating what I was told. I think the real truth is that the terms of the lease of the venue requires it. Their issues with Saxet make suspicious of anything they tell on that front.
    Lynx Defense

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Underwhelmed is an understatement. The lady at the door said ATF and APD had 12 cases against the Saxet prior to their departure (for what specifically she didn't say). They threatened to shut down this weekend's show if the terms were not met. It sounds more like a terms of use thing for the venue to me. The cases sound more like individuals selling to ineligible parties.

That's crap and she's lying, SAXET is running the biggest gun show in SA and it appears forced Texas Gun Shows out; if anything she claimed was true than they would not be running the shows they've got going on here.

Honestly, I am getting more and more glad that Texas Guns Shows is gone from San Antonio; their shows were pretty lame and if I didn't have such a bad addiction to look at, touch and possibly buy guns, I would have never gone to their events. The admission is too high for 20-30 vendors tops, SAXET is actually cheaper and several times larger!

I feel bad for the folks up in Austin, but it is worth the drive down to SA for the new SAXET shows!

Cheers! M2

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Who owns the property?

Who leases the property?

I'm confused so, can we start there please? I'd like to see the "rules" or terms of use. I guess that'd be the contract. Is that possible?

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Who owns the property?

Who leases the property?

I'm confused so, can we start there please? I'd like to see the "rules" or terms of use. I guess that'd be the contract. Is that possible?

What I was told at the show today was that HEB owns the building, HEB counsel was in CYA mode and imposed the restrictions. ACTUALLY, there were NON-FFL dealers set up BUT any gun sale had to be transferred using one of the FFL holders there at the show. The RUGER 'collector' dude wasn't too thrilled with the set-up but seemed to be doing a bit of business any way.

BTW, first thing we saw pulling into the parking lot was 2 APD cruisers blocking(possibly searching) a vehicle. Might not have been related to the gun show as the building also houses some sort of 'permanent' flea market arrangement.

If this is an Austin thing, Puffalugerville is just across the highway. Bet you could find an empty building over there!

armadillo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    TX
    The only thing that would stand up is if it is in the contract for the facility. I am pretty sure Texas has a "no preemption" law.

I was told (3rd hand) that SAXET quit Austin last year because they had some problem with the owner of the facility.

I do remember a couple of years ago that ATF prosecuted someone for a number of straw purchases at the SAXET-Austin show. They caught them because a vendor alerted ATF to them.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I am in Austin and do not attend the Texas Gun Shows, a waste of time and money. I make the drive to San Antonio for the SAXET shows.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I can't see how the city can enforce such an ordinance - it's a restriction on legal trade, where no one is breaking any law. If the promoter DID set something like that up, he's begging to be run outta the business, IMO.

TXCleaver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Austin
    I can't see how the city can enforce such an ordinance - it's a restriction on legal trade, where no one is breaking any law. If the promoter DID set something like that up, he's begging to be run outta the business, IMO.

Well try this one for size...I got a damned parking ticket for parking my truck next to my driveway (in Austin.) Private property, no HOA. City ordinance. A bleeping city ordinance. Mind you, my truck wasn't out in the yard. And no, our next house will NOT be in Austin.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    That is my question as well?

I mean I can understand a promoter or city setting up a FFL dealer only rule but how does the BATF fit into this?

BATFE: Mr Police Chief, we have a lot of traces dead ending from gun shows in Austin. Anything you can do?

CHIEF: Mr Mayor, I think you should tell the city manager not to rent to gun show promoters.

CITY MANAGER: We will catch hell for that, how about we just say no FTF?

CHIEF: OK, that will work. You can blame it on me or the BATFE if any asks.

CITY MANAGER: OK Mr. Gun Show Promoter, you can rent our place, but no FTF sales. B ATFE and APD say so.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    THAT one I can understand - but the city can't make laws more restrictive than those of the state w/firearms - the City of San Antonio tried that many years ago w/trying to regulate someone carrying a rifle in their trucks - got themselves in all kinds of trouble when the right attorney got hold of 'em.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's private property, not city property.

The city has absolutely NO jurisdiction. APD has absolutely NO say, and NO right to arrest people for LEGAL trade.

This is a strong arm tactic by the anti-gun APD brass and the local ATF.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's private property, not city property.

The city has absolutely NO jurisdiction. APD has absolutely NO say, and NO right to arrest people for LEGAL trade.

This is a strong arm tactic by the anti-gun APD brass and the local ATF.

Sorry, I believe it is more of a subterfuge by Texas Guns Shows...has anyone tried contacting the APD or local ATF to see to verify what the promoter claimed??

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    M2, that's what I've been sayin' all along - sounds to me like TGS has made a deal w/one of their dealers to run all deals through 'em for fee generation. I simply can't imagine even Austin tryin' something like this.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Exactly WHO owns the venue? I've heard HEB, the City of Austin....if it's the City of Austin, then yeah - they CAN put that stipulation in there as landlords - that's what needs to be determined.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Exactly WHO owns the venue? I've heard HEB, the City of Austin....if it's the City of Austin, then yeah - they CAN put that stipulation in there as landlords - that's what needs to be determined.

Apparently, it is privately owned by a trust. The Bentonville, AR address screams Walmart since it used to be a Sam's.

TravisCAD Detail - Prop_ID 252256

MOGAVERO, JAMES E TRUSTEE ETAL

Top Bottom