• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I'm too old to open carry, I don't want the bad guy knowing I have a weapon till it's too late for them.

The times I've open carried, nobody has even given me a second glance. As for age...no matter your age, you need to have situational awareness. Spot the bad guy before it's too late for you. It's not as if they won't figure out what you're doing when you try to get to your concealed firearm.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    If you open carry with a gun that you bought in a private sale, then you definitely want to have the 'bill of sale' that you got from the seller. So when a cop sees you open carrying and demands your ID and LTC, you will be able to prove the gun is registered to you.
    :popcorn:
    <>

The FEDERAL Court in N.O., which covers most of Texas, has told them that they can’t do that. IANAL

<>

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    ...and much like concealed carry, the claims of "blood flowing in the streets" have proven to be incorrect. In fact, it has pretty much been a "non-event."

I had to go buy some new wiper blades for the Toyota, and for the first time outside a gun store was asked what kind of pistol I was carrying. I was actually caught off-guard by the question, as it has gotten to where no one seems to notice; but the person asking went on to explain he wanted to get his LTC and only needed to find time to take the class (he was also a firefighter).

So that brings me to my query, as we approach the first anniversary of open carry in Texas, what have been your experiences? I don't OC a lot, as I cannot carry where I work (on a military base); but I try to do so as much as possible during my "off-duty" time. I've also asked a lot of police officers I know if there has been any issues because of OC, and I have yet to hear of any at all.

The greatest positive--outside of restoring rights we should have never lost in the fist place--is as we approach a new legislation in the coming year the lack of any problems with open carry means that Texans in general are not as fearful of firearms as a few may try to lead us to believe. There is finally real "hope" for our future in that we have leadership not only at the state but also the Federal level that truly supports the Constitution. I don't know how well President Trump will do, but at least he is a firm supporter of the Second Amendment; and there is no questioning where Texas Governor Greg Abbott is on the issue.

So I am optimistic, and while I do believe efforts to advance the rights of gun owners need to be prioritized (I believe a reduction in areas automatically restricted by law from carrying is more critical than Constitutional carry, although both are very important), I honestly believe we are heading down the right path and will continue to do so!

Cheers! M2
    I like the idea of "where is Waldo" I now game it by active seeking printing concealed or open carry arms- a little fun while enhancing my situation awareness. I notice more guns now because I look for them

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    Too old? Like, can't get out of bed old?

Now I may be in pretty good shape for my age, but I have yet to get to the point where it effects the way I carry. And I doubt a bad guy checks everyone before deciding to do bad things.

I respect your decision on how you carry, but don't use age as an excuse.
    Well about the time open carry was made legal in Texas, I was asking a Cop what he thought about it. He put it to me this way, if a bad guy was to ease up behind you in line at the supermarket, he could possibly take your gun before you know he's there.
    Also the cop said, if He and I were at the check out at the Circle K and someone would come in to rob the place and he sees me open carry and the officer is there, the if order to succeed in his robbery, the Cop and I would be his biggest threat so he may want to eliminate the both of us, he said he has seen that happen to a cop in another state where moved from.
    Wo at 70 years old, I'm not going to put my life on the line when I can conceal carry, that way I have the drop on the bad guy. Where I live, I know a lot of the people, sometimes I open carry my .357 in my paddle holster.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well about the time open carry was made legal in Texas, I was asking a Cop what he thought about it. He put it to me this way, if a bad guy was to ease up behind you in line at the supermarket, he could possibly take your gun before you know he's there.
    Also the cop said, if He and I were at the check out at the Circle K and someone would come in to rob the place and he sees me open carry and the officer is there, the if order to succeed in his robbery, the Cop and I would be his biggest threat so he may want to eliminate the both of us, he said he has seen that happen to a cop in another state where moved from.
    Wo at 70 years old, I'm not going to put my life on the line when I can conceal carry, that way I have the drop on the bad guy. Where I live, I know a lot of the people, sometimes I open carry my .357 in my paddle holster.

Yeah, and that extra time it takes for you to draw your weapon from its concealed location will give the bad guy ample opportunity to shoot you!

If concealed carry was safer, then why don't cops do it?

Plus, taking legal advice from a cop is highly discouraged unless you know them very well and trust their opinion (which is all that it is).

Many cops are of the mindset that they are the only ones who should be armed. Having shot with several agencies, that belief scares me!

Als, I will also never let a police officer (or anyone else, such as businesses with 30.06 and 30.07 signs) be my soles source of protection. Despite what it says on the side of cop cars, they're primary job is to investigate crime.

In the 1981 case Warren v. District of Columbia, the D.C. Court of Appeals held that police have a general "public duty," but that "no specific legal duty exists" unless there is a special relationship between an officer and an individual, such as a person in custody.
    The U.S. Supreme Court has also ruled that police have no specific obligation to protect. In its 1989 decision in DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services, the justices ruled that a social services department had no duty to protect a young boy from his abusive father.

In 2005'sCastle Rock v. Gonzales, a woman sued the police for failing to protect her from her husband after he violated a restraining order and abducted and killed their three children. Justices said the police had no such duty.

Most recently, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit upheld a lower court ruling that police could not be held liable for failing to protect students in the 2018 shooting that claimed 17 lives at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

Does that mean most cops won't protect citizens? No. I believe the vast majority will risk their own lives in the defense of others; but there is no requirement to do so and that is one of the many reasons why I exercise my inalienable rights of self-defense!

In fact, when State Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fort Walton Beach was pushing for open carry in Florida, "It is important to note that in the states that allow open carry, violent crime was 23 percent lower, the murder rate was 5 percent lower, the aggravated assault rate was 23 percent lower and robbery rates were 36 percent lower."

But you do you. Just don't disparage others from open carry when what you claim isn't supported by facts! That's as ridiculous as the claims open carry would increase crime. It hasn't, as allowing concealed carry didn't despite claims that would as well!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If you open carry with a gun that you bought in a private sale, then you definitely want to have the 'bill of sale' that you got from the seller. So when a cop sees you open carrying and demands your ID and LTC, you will be able to prove the gun is registered to you.

Say what?!?? PLEASE tell me you're kidding - or that you're out on a Day Pass........

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Don't forget your sash.

1726500355378.png

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    <>

it is my understanding, IANAL, that the Courts have stopped them frm doing this.

<<
    YOU MUST HAVE A BILL OF SALE. I saw this on NCIS: New Orleans. If you don't have a bill of sale they will arrest you because you can't prove the gun is registered to you! You may beat the rap (at the 5th circuit) but you can't beat the ride. (and every other stupid gun cliche ever). I have this on direct knowledge from the guy at my local gun shop. :roflfunny:

Top Bottom