• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    American Kim Rhode did something amazing today; she won a bronze in Women's Skeet. That means she has won a medal in 6 consecutive Olympic games! If you ever get a chance to talk to her, she's a nice lady. You can generally catch her at the USA Shooting booth at SHOT and the NRA Annual Convention; she's worth the line to get an autograph.

I've met her twice- once at SHOT and once when they opened up the local Cabela's. She's a nice lady, very friendly. It's unfortunate that despite winning medals in 6 consecutive Olympics, she gets 0 airtime or praise for her achievements. She spoke up last week defending the 2nd Amendment, and a lot of people on Facebook attacked her, calling her all kinds of vile things. If it weren't for the fact that Virginia Thrasher won our first gold in the Rio games, she probably would have gone completely under the radar just because of her chosen sport.
    Gun Zone Deals

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I have attempted to watch several times. Other than turning on right as the gal won the airgun gold I have been unable to see boxing, judo, weightlifting, shooting or any of the manly sports. Instead I've found table tennis soccer, swimming,m soccer, swimming, soccer, running, soccer, basketball, swimming whatever.

I hate the Olympics. Its a tease.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    You're looking at the wrong channel then. The main network channel has the glamor events, some other channels show boxing, judo etc.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...I have been unable to see...
    It's up to NBC what they broadcast. Kim Rhode got about 10 seconds on the main channel. She got a lot more coverage online.

Online is where everyone should watch the Olympics. At NBCOlympics.com, every sport, every event, is shown. It costs nothing; you only need a cable account login to get access. Aside from the minor inconvenience of recovering your cable company login and password (Does anybody actually remember theirs?), it's absolutely worthwhile.

That said, in countries where NBC doesn't control the broadcast you can see much more of the actual sports instead of touchy-feely backgrounders. Those "human interest" stories are pretty much always a waste of time, imo.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Some have observed that the shooting sports get a lukewarm reception. That's not the case everywhere. Here's a video of the Vietnamese commentary when their guy comes from behind to win the gold. Skip to about 1:55 to see the last two shots of the shootoff. After Hoàng Xuân Vinh fires, consider the way the announcers react.

It would never happen in America but there are places in the world where they really get fired up over winning shooting medals at the Olympics.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't have cable. I have satellite.
    You can sign in over your internet connection as long as one of these is your TV provider:

OlympicsLogin_zpsjwclf6hu.jpeg

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    After all, there is only one shooting competition in the world. It happens every four years and it's called the Olympics. Everything else that anyone does with a gun is either mandated by their job, having fun, or trying to get to the Olympics.
    Buuuuuuulllshiiiiiiiit! I can appreciate the display of talent and tax dollars that is the Olympics, but professional sports is always where the top athletes are. Jerry Miculek would whip all of them.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    She broke the record on consecutive gold medals for women.
    Not exactly. Not all of her medals were gold. She has medaled in 6 consecutive Olympics. No one else has done that in the Summer Games; a luger has done it in the Winter Games.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...but professional sports is always where the top athletes are. Jerry Miculek would whip all of them.
    1. What makes you think Olympic shooters aren't paid vast sums? It doesn't happen in the USA but in many other countries, they are handsomely compensated.

2. Jerry has spent time with our Olympic shooting team. So have several other big names in shooting. They could not shoot the ISSF courses of fire as well as our team. Now, if they had been willing to give up their careers and impoverish themselves in pursuit of Olympic glory, who knows?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    1. What makes you think Olympic shooters aren't paid vast sums? It doesn't happen in the USA but in many other countries, they are handsomely compensated.
    Compensation definitely get's weird in countries that control production. China hasn't invented anything since the Song dynasty, but they sure do spend a lot of resources on propaganda; that includes their olympic committee. I'm glad ours is a 501(c). Every US gold medal is a win for charitable donations vs. government programs ;)

if they had been willing to give up their careers and impoverish themselves in pursuit of Olympic glory, who knows?
    :laughing:

Top Bottom