Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I hope everyone is planning to watch as much of the Olympic shooting as NBC deigns to show us.

Capitol Armory ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm sure they would rather broadcast badminton or synchronized swimming.
    Possibly but there are plenty of events to cover.

Shooting Disciplines

• Men's events
      • Rifle
        • 10m air rifle
        • 50m rifle 3-positions
        • 50m rifle prone
      • Pistol
        • 10m air pistol
        • 25m rapid fire pistol
        • 50m free pistol
      • Shotgun
        • Trap
        • Double trap
        • Skeet
    • Women's events
      • Rifle
        • 10m air rifle
        • 50m rifle 3-positions
      • Pistol
        • 10m air pistol
        • 25m sport pistol
      • Shotgun
        • Trap
        • Skeet

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    On Saturday morning, 19-year-old American shooter Virginia Thrasher made history as the first gold medalist in the 2016 Summer Olympics, winning the women's 10-meter air rifle event.

Watch an interview with her here: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/ginny-thrasher-talks-winning-rio-games-1st-gold-medal

Note: Because of licensing agreements, it probably won't be possible for me to embed any video of the Olympic shooting events in these posts. Links to NBC videos will be the best I can do.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    American Corey Cogdell-Unrein won a bronze medal in women's trap Sunday, the second medal for the U.S. shooting team at the Rio Olympics. Cogdell-Unrein won her medal in a shoot-off, beating Spain's Fatima Galvez. It's the second bronze medal for Cogdell-Unrein, a three-time Olympian from Eagle River, Alaska.

See the shoot-off and medal ceremony here: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/cogdell-unrein-wins-womens-trap-bronze-medal

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Shit. I can't find hardly any shooting on the channels I get that are covering the Olympics. Mostly fencing and archery.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    I recorded 3+ hours of rugby and soccer and 2.5 minutes of the women's skeet. They showed exactly 2 broken clays. The most information they gave was the three medal winners names and pictures, that was it.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Men's skeet finals start at 3:00 pm today. I plan on going to the nbcolympics.com website and trying my luck with it.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Surprised that NBC offers web streaming of those EEEEEEEEEVIIIIL guns and such. Loved how the first US medal won was a gold in air rifle, but it only gets a 5 second blurb at 10 PM while the USA basketball team beating the deaf blind mute midgets from Azerbaijan in the preliminaries gets a whole montage of dunk vids. Effing losers (NBC not the national team). Hope their ratings suck so hard they have to fire Costas.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Surprised that NBC offers web streaming of those EEEEEEEEEVIIIIL guns and such...but it only gets a 5 second blurb at 10 PM...
    There's actually quite a bit of video of shooting events. You have to dig into the NBCOlympics site till you find the shooting page, then scroll down.

Live streaming is the most inclusive but, be warned, you need your cable company login and password to make it work. I think I use that login every 4 years for the Olympics, only.

Last edited:

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Let's face it, you're not going to get a lot of media time with pew pew air rifles vs SLAM DUNK YEEEAA!! 7! 7&#&@88@!

Unfortunately....

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Let's face it, you're not going to get a lot of media time with pew pew air rifles...
    They shoot .22s, too.

I miss the 300M rifle event and I'm aghast that the pentathletes now shoot (very buggy) laser pistols. You make a valid point if what you mean is that Olympic shooting is a couple of rule changes away from disaster. For now, though, there are still some amazing displays of skill to be had.

After all, there is only one shooting competition in the world. It happens every four years and it's called the Olympics. Everything else that anyone does with a gun is either mandated by their job, having fun, or trying to get to the Olympics. :)

(I told that joke to a Camp Perry champion once; he was not amused.)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    USA shooter Corey Cogdell-Unrein brought home the Bronze in the Women's Trap event. In case you didn't know, in International Trap the targets are smaller, tougher, and get thrown at much higher speed than in the version of the sport normally seen in the U.S. Given that I can't hit a barn with a shotgun while I'm standing inside, performances like this fill me with wonder.

More here: http://stream.nbcolympics.com/womens-trap-final

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    LoL sure enough...

Well yes, I agree it's as close to neutered as you can get without being completely foregone. But, will we ever see (what little is left) the events on prime time major networks like basketball or swimming?? Idk...doubtful

High level trap shooters are amazing. Dunno how they do it. Cool to hear USA got a medal in it

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...will we ever see (what little is left) the events on prime time major networks like basketball or swimming?? Idk...doubtful
    Yes, if you live in the right place.

In China, when a shooting event comes on TV (and Chinese television broadcasts all the shooting events) in, say, a crowded restaurant, you can hear a pin drop. Since Mens 50M Pistol was the first event in which China ever won an Olympic medal (gold, no less), the entire country follows shooting at the Olympics. The Chinese run a "champion factory" for shooting like no other in the world; they churn out medalists with startling frequency. Over there, it's a big deal.

In Europe, things are less crazy but sometimes, depending on the shooter, shooting does go prime-time. When Ralf Schumann ruled the Men's 25-meter Rapid Fire Pistol event (7 Olympic games producing 3 gold and 2 silver medals) that event got premier coverage in Germany. Ralf couldn't walk down the street without being mobbed by people wanting his autograph.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The Men's Rapid Fire Pistol event got extensive coverage today on NBC. No Americans were involved so I won't bother with links but if you choose to watch the video on NBCOlympics.com, you're in for a treat. There were multiple shootoffs for the Bronze; it was a nail-biter.

American Kim Rhode did something amazing today; she won a bronze in Women's Skeet. That means she has won a medal in 6 consecutive Olympic games! If you ever get a chance to talk to her, she's a nice lady. You can generally catch her at the USA Shooting booth at SHOT and the NRA Annual Convention; she's worth the line to get an autograph.

More info here: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/kim-rhode-wins-sixth-consecutive-medal-makes-history

Top Bottom